AA LED - long run-time, likes recharageables, built tough?

DowntownDM

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I used to have a SF Aviator with White LEDs, and though pretty damned expensive (~$175) - I really liked it (granted it was my first high-end-ish light, but still, I thought it was badass - but what do I know, so I'm here...).

In any case, the bright (incandescent) was plenty damn bright, the low (LED) was bright enough for my low-light needs and lasted a long time (though I never measured it, it definitely didn't chew through batteries), plus the device itself seemed pretty bullet-proof (it's been climbing, mountainbiking, shooting, and camping a lot).

Unfortunately, the Aviator was stolen when my truck was broken into recently - so now, a few years and evolutions of LED lights later, I need a replacement... This time I want something that:

- runs on one, maybe two, rechargeable AAs (maybe either?).
- momentary and constant-on
- has a low-light mode with really long run-time
- has at least one mid/high mode
- tough construction
- water resistant (proof?)

My budget is $150.

What do you folks suggest, and why?

Thanks.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why a step down?

I like Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60 but it would fail your criteria of "Low mode".

I carry a 1xAA lite for this reason.

Mental Note: Don't leave high end lites in the car....

MorePower

Enlightened
Why a step down?

I like Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60 but it would fail your criteria of "Low mode".

I carry a 1xAA lite for this reason.

Mental Note: Don't leave high end lites in the car....

The Surefire + Malkoff M60 also fails his criteria of "runs on one, maybe two, rechargeable AAs (maybe either?)"

Gator762

Enlightened
Buy a Fenix L1D Q5, and then get a L2D body and tailcap (and plastic cap).

You can have a 1xAA light, or 2xAA light by simply switching bodies. The plastic cap with spare body functions as a spare battery holder, and you'll have a spare tailcap in case the switch craps out on ya.

You might want to wait for the new LD10/20... He hasn't planned on selling the new LD bodies yet, but I think the old bodies will fit the new heads. Check this thread to be sure:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207168

That will be under $100 shipped from 4sevens. :D

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Nitecore Defender Infinity.

It meets all your requirements. The physical construction is of high quality, but one of it's most endearing talents is hidden - it's superb regulation and efficient use of whatever type of battery you equip it with, from alkalines to 14500 rechargeable lithiums.

On low you can get 45 hrs from a single AA NiMh.

You can think of it as a two level light. With the head twisted tight, you get maximum output. With the head loosened slightly, you access a level which you set at whatever output you wish, from it's minimum to full output.

It has a forward clickie for momentary operation.

nc_di_d5_500.jpg

DArklite

Enlightened
Why settle for any factory pre-selected modes?
Check out either the iTP C7 (1xAA) and C8 (2xAA) models from Shiningbeam.com. You just play lego with the body tubes. Continuously-variable output from min to max; set it where you want: loosen the head to start the smooth ramping output; tighten to set it. Noob-proof. Add "forward clicky" tailcaps to the bodies and you have your momentary-on covered too.
You're still under $100 with one head, both tubes and tailcaps. There's reviews of them in the Flashlight Reviews subforum by CPF user Selfbuilt; check the CPF Marketplace Manufacturer's thread for specs and links to the reviews.
I have their C9 (1xR/CR123) and the C7 and C8 bodies and tailcaps - same head runs 'em all and it's my EDC (and STILL under $100 with that setup). :thumbsup:
and oh yeah... :welcome:

Gator762

Enlightened
Nitecore Defender Infinity.

... from alkalines to 14500 rechargeable lithiums.

This part I don't get - why use dangerous lithiums when you don't get any extra output (brightness) and similar runtime? LSD NiMH gets rid of the self discharge drawback of NiMH. LiIon 'vent with flame' doesn't happen that often, but why even take small risks when you don't need to?

Cheapskate

Enlightened
This part I don't get - why use dangerous lithiums when you don't get any extra output (brightness) and similar runtime? LSD NiMH gets rid of the self discharge drawback of NiMH. LiIon 'vent with flame' doesn't happen that often, but why even take small risks when you don't need to?

But you DO get both extra brightness and runtimes:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184939

It is an option, you do not have to use 14500 cells if you don't want to. The NDI performs very well with Eneloops and other NiMh cells.