2 DOA Fenix L2D... coincidence? O_o

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm very new to the forums. A couple of weeks ago, I ordered 3 flashlights from fenix-store.

2 x L2d
1 x E01

Is it possible that I have to DOA L2D's? My E01 worked perfectly fine the second I put a battery in it. Is it really possible that they sent me 2 brand new L2d's that are just broken? At first I thought my batteries were dead, but then I tried about 10 other ones.

I'm just a little worried as a first time Fenix customer as I have read raving reviews about their lights

Thanks

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response. I tested all my of my batteries with my meter afterwards as well.

I'm using duracell AA's. Nothing special about them, they are definately not in backwards. The anode is towards the LED.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you have the positive end of the batteries toward the lense, and the tailcap tight, try rotating the front bezel. It should be either lightly snugged down all the way (don't need to crank it hard), or about 1/2 turn out from fully tightened. Sometimes when mine has sat for a while, it won't turn on until I move the bezel a bit, then it is fine. If you are still having trouble, try to add some more info, like what kind of batteries you have, how you are assembling and operating the light. I know, it may sound kind of stupid, but we have all overlooked silly, obvious things, and this can help someone figure out what it is.

While it is VERY unlikely to get two, consecutive, DOA copies of this light, it would not be totally impossible. Just ALMOST impossible.

BTW, welcome to CPF!

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
Hi Hondo, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm currently using Duracell coppertops. They are brand a brand new pack that I purchased from Costco with an expiration date of 2014.

I remove the back and put the batteries in first. I have attached a picture of how I put the batteries in. The left is the head while the right is the end and the position of the batteries I placed is how they go in.

Thanks

2zylpv7.jpg

HKJ

Flashaholic
The tailcap must be full screwed down, if it is just a little bit loose (1/10 turn), the light will not turn on.

Also check the back of the flashlight tube, it must be clean metal, and the same in the tailcap, where the tube touches it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Dumb question:

You are clicking the switch on the back of the light, right? It's not a twisty like the E01 or a MiniMag.

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
Not a dumb question =) I am clicking the back of the light. I have also cleaned the contacts with some alcohol.

Thanks for the help guys, lets get these babies working!

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you remove the tailcap and jump between the back of the battery and end of the body tube, does it work then?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, and thanks Marduke, someone needed to ask, if all I ever had was a twistie, well .....

Next you can completely eliminate the tailcap contact, switch retaining ring and switch as possibles by leaving the cap off, and shorting from the back of the batteries to the end of the flashlight body (battery tube). You must touch the non-anodized silver end of the tube. A piece of wire is good, but I can usually get it with a small screwdriver.

If that lights up, we can cover tailcap maintenance/tuning.

You did try turning the head, too, right?

edit: type S-L-O-W-E-R, Marduke!

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
Roger that guys =X I'm an Electrical Engineer so this is quite fun :twothumbs I get to play with all my toys at home. Will report back

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
alright, we are making progress. If I take a wire from the battery and connect it to the body(the silver part) it works! AHhhhh she lives!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now get a pair of needlenose pliers, and grab the two small holes in the aluminum ring up inside the tailcap, and try to give it a good tightening. Wipe the surface of the ring as best as you can, as well as the end of the battery tube. Then try the cap on the body again.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, so it's something to do with the tailcaps. If you look inside, beside the spring, there is a metal ring with 2 holes. Use something (needle nose pliers, crosses nails, anything) to make sure that ring is tight.

Also, as an EE, while you are at it use your DMM to check the continuity of the tailcap between that ring and the center spring. Make sure to click it once to check a second time (and to make sure the first just wasn't clicked in the off position).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Check if the button in the tail is tied down. Look into the tailcap, your will se a ring with two holes, using some needle nose pliers you can tie it down, or loosen it, to take the switch out.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won this time, Marduke! :crackup:

This is great fun, you are in good hands, I must go to meet my daughter for dinner, will check back later to see if it is solved, you are close now!

honghong322

Newly Enlightened
everything works perfectly =) strobing, the turbo mode, general mode.

You guys are great!!!!:kiss:

Last edited: