This Greenie Laser any good?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wording makes me less than confident that its a full 4.99 mW. It is pulsed rather than constant on, and it may or may not be DPSS (which the better units seem to crow about.)

It seems to have more plastic than other units.

That said, I have no idea how well it works comparitively.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd stay away from it, simply for what Lemlux said: Pulsed... You'll want constant output.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've heard that Infiniter makes good red laser pointers, but this is the first greenie I've seen with that name.

It has a good name behind it, and probably has a decent warranty too, but I've never tried any of their lasers so I really don't know *how* good.

All green laser pointers are DPSS, whether it says so or not. That much I *am* sure of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Blue lasers with a 473nm wavelength are also DPSS, whether it says so or not.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
You can probably get as good or better deal on a constant output greenie on eBay. I got a very nice personally engraved one on eBay for less than $100, and the prices have been coming down since I bought mine.

They have blue laser pointers out now? How much? Where?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
They have blue laser pointers out now? How much? Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only seen a picture of one, not seen the unit itself. It popped up on ebay awhile back, and went for around $1,500.00 or thereabouts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I think Deharpportes Trading has blue DPSS lasers for a grand or two, but I'm not sure if they're pointer style or two-piece modules connected by an umbilical, like *all* DPSS lasers used to be before they started coming out with green laser pointers.

Do a search on Google or other search engine for "blue DPSS laser" and you just might find one.

Nichia has a directly-injected blue laser diode (440-445nm at around 5mW) but be prepared to spend around $5,000.00 for one, expect a lifetime of 500 hours, and that doesn't include the power supply, lens, or tube to cram it all in. Just the diode. If you smoke it, you're out 5 grand. :-O

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
SUREFARC said:
What is DPSS pls?

[/ QUOTE ]
DPSS stands for Diode Pumped Solid State.
A powerful IR (infrared) laser diode is shot at a crystal (this can be made from ytterbium-aluminum-garnet (YAG)) that converts the 808nm light from the laser diode to 1064nm (yes, deeper into the infrared); this radiation is then shot into another crystal (made from niobium and vanadium and oxygen) that cuts the wavelength in half - the 1064nm IR light becomes that striking 532nm green colored light you see at the laser's business end. A filter screens out stray IR radiation and a lens focuses the green light into the laser beam you see coming from the end of the laser pointer.

There are a few ways to get green laser light from an infrared source - this is just one way that can be done.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig:

I hadn't focused on all the I/R conversion in the process. Now I wonder if the following quote from SpaceCoastElectronics accurately refers to the "Power Supplies" or whether the excess heat really relates to the the IR stage of the light generation.

"The Power Supplies are Constant Current devices, but seem to dissipate too much heat over 3.4VDC."

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:
Craig:

I hadn't focused on all the I/R conversion in the process. Now I wonder if the following quote from SpaceCoastElectronics accurately refers to the "Power Supplies" or whether the excess heat really relates to the the IR stage of the light generation.

"The Power Supplies are Constant Current devices, but seem to dissipate too much heat over 3.4VDC."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that most of the heat will come from the 808nm laser diode itself and the power supply that feeds it.

There's probably a transistor and resistor that start to get too warm over 3.4 volts - but I'm just guessing here because I've never handled a bare DPSS supply. That will have to be up to another laser nut who has that stuff handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The typical green laser pointer might have an IR laser diode in it that puts out 200-400 milliwatts, but would consume considerably more power from their batteries because the laser diode isn't 100% efficient and neither is the power supply that drives it. The extra power used is wasted as heat, which is why most green and blue DPSS modules have a TE (thermo-electric) cooler for the laser diode and stuff.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these, with the "Pharmacia" logo on it- The clip is plastic, but everything else seems to be metal; pretty nice heft to it.
The metal case it comes in gives an interesting effect when the laser is bounced off it; it diffuses it pretty well, giving pretty even illumination on a wall.
Duty cycle of the pulse is roughly 50%, but I don't know what the pulse power is, so I couldn't say what the actual output is.
I could easily see the beam pointing up into the clear night sky, but there's too much dependence on atmospheric conditions for that to be meaningful in any way.