SF M6 - will 2x emoli A123 18650's underdrive a MN21?

bxstylez

Enlightened
i finally got a M6 and am powering the MN20 bulb with 2x 18650's
i absolutely LOVE the beam and would like to see the power of the MN21

since AW 18650's cant power a MN21 because it draws ~5A and AW 18650's are good for up to 4A

will 2x emoli A123 18650's underdrive the bulb..... since A123's are rated ~3.2V, yet handle 30A draw

Patriot

Flashaholic
EDIT

incorrect info edited since emoli cells are different chemistry.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Emoli cells are a Lithium Manganese chemistry that is ~3.7V nominal (often also considered to be a "3.8V" cell)... they charge to ~4.20V like Cobalt chemistry li-ion cells, and hold higher voltages under a load than cobalt cells.

The MN21 runs on the stock 6xCR123 pack at around 6.6V. (it starts a little higher and drops below that within 20 seconds or so).

2xEmoli 18650 cells will push ~7.6V starting into the MN21 fresh, diminishing as it runs, but significantly overdriving the MN21 most of the time compared with CR123s.

You guys are confusing A123 and Emoli cells, these are 2 totally different chemistries made by different manufactures with different operating voltages.

Look at Wattnot's most recent post in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204157&page=4

he has beam-shots comparing the MN21 on the CR123 pack, and 2xEmoli cells.

On Emoli cells it is clearly brighter and whiter. In use I have to agree. i have 10 Emoli 18650s here in front of me, and I can tell by looking at this, that if this bulb were being driven much harder, I don't think it would survive. This is pushing it. So far Wattnot and myself and at least one other CPFer have been using this configuration some and have no had a bulb failure *yet* but I expect the bulb not to last as long.

Lately I've switched to the 64275 on the Emoli cells, I have found a focus that i really like with this bulb, (a strong tight spot, surrounded by a huge wide bright corona, and stronger spill than the MN21). I'm estimating ~900 torch lumens on this setup. Draws ~6.7A, runtime is somewhere around 10 minutes. But well worth it. :)

Eric

DM51

Flashaholic
mdocod is right, and Wattnot's post illustrates the very noticeable increase in output of the MN21 on Emolis vs. primaries.

The Emolis will sag less under load than ordinary Li-Ion (Lithium Cobalt chemistry) cells, so the actual operating voltage will be higher.

The MN21 with 2x 'C' Li-Ion cells is very bright, but I blew one with ~1 hour run-time like that (see post #1 in that same thread).

bxstylez

Enlightened
thanks for the "enlightment"

i checked out Lux's thread, Lithium 18650 Safe Chemistry Performance Shootout @ 5, 10, 15 Amps
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205814
and am interested in the emoli's...

does any have any spare Emoli IMR-18650E cells?
i'm interested in 2-4, depending on price

also, can it be charged using a UltraFire UF-139, or do i need any special charger?

Patriot

Flashaholic

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
does any have any spare Emoli IMR-18650E cells?
i'm interested in 2-4, depending on price

In my experience at least with mdocod's 2x18650 holder, AW's protected 18650's fit fine, but the Emoli 18650's that I harvested from a Ridgid battery pack weren't button tops, and they wouldn't stay put in the holder or make full contact with the tabs. I'd suspect that with the addition of a magnet spacer they'd fit, but for some reason on my cells, magnets don't like to stick to the positive terminal at all. It's like they've got reverse polarity magnetism or something and they fling themselves off when trying to get to stick. Any one else encounter this phenomena?

As far as charging Emoli's with a WF-139, I don't own one so couldn't be sure. But they charge fine on a Pila IBC. Just don't put LiFePO4's or A123's on a Pila, as they're fully charged voltage differs from the 4.2v the Pila outputs.

mdocod

Flashaholic
brighterisbetter,

The adapter design can accommodate any length of cell when coupled with the right length support rods, however, the support rods of the adapter have been cut to length based on fitment for AW protected cells, and will limit the use of certain cells if they are a little on the long or short side. If the adapter is not collapsing down far enough to make contact with a shorter 18650 cell, you just need shorter support rods. I'd be more than happy to send you some. PM me for further instruction. Alternatively, the rods can be removed and ground down to a shorter length if you have the means to do so, but I am more than happy to just send whatever is needed to make your adapter work with the cells you want to be able to use with it.

--------------------------------------

Bxstylez,

Any charger that can charge LiCo ("regular" li-ion, like AWs) cells, should charge LiMn (Emoli and other "safe chemistry 3.7V cells) cells reasonably well, but In my experience, the WF-139 seems to heat up the Emoli cells during charging, where my DSD does not. I'm using a faster Nokia power supply on my DSD that nearly matches the speed of the 139, so there is definitely something different going on about the way the 139 charges, and I'm not so sure if it's the best thing for any li-ion cell, regardless of chemistry. I wouldn't go so far as to say a WF-139 shouldn't be used to charge these cells, but I personally would suggest a Pila IBC if you can afford to get one.

Eric

Last edited:

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Is there any problem asking the M6 tailcap to handle approaching 7A ?
On the same topic I would be interested in the setup consisting of 2 X emoli 18650s in a Leef tube with SW02 tailcap running the MN21. Would that be too much for the SW02 ?

Latest posts