Praise for the Fenix LOD and suggestions for improvement

RH

Enlightened
Hi All,

I haven't been as "flashlight oriented" for the past few months and as a result, haven't always had a SureFire or NiteCore or other larger flashlight on me. Because of this, I have been using my Fenix LOD w/ Eneloop almost exclusively as that is what is always with me. I am more and more impressed with this light all of the time. I think this light could easily cover 95% of what someone needed a flashlight for in terms of everyday use.

Some of the things I like:
-Very good brightness. This Fenix puts out enough light that I can use it when I take the dog out at night or walk down to the neighbors. I know we are spoiled by 500 lumen flame throwers, but this light is more capable than the 2-3 D cell flashlights that most "normal" people use.

-Mostly smooth finish. I can't tell you how many cell phones, wallets, and other pocket gear that were chewed up by the Arc AAA I used to carry. I like being able to toss the light in a pocket WITH OTHER THINGS and not worry about it.

-Reliable. I've had the light since it came out and it hasn't given me any trouble. It seems just as reliable as any other flashlight I've ever had.

Some things I'd like changed:
-Make the body just as small as it can be. This includes making a "pocket" body without the extra metal on the end for a key ring as well as making the walls thinner. I carry the light loose in my pocket and the end for a key ring gets all sorts of lint and dust in it. Also, the key ring cut out is sharp and has worn down to the metal. Regarding the wall thickness, I carry this in my pocket and don't need it to be as strong as it is. I would take smaller size and not quite as bomb proof. I know people will say it is needed for heat dissipation, but I'm holding this light in my hand. I'm sure as long as there is a good thermal path from the LED, my hand will be enough of a heat sink.

-A Turbo level with a newer LED. With the advancements in LED technology, I would like to see a new version that had a 4th "Turbo" level that put out around 125 lumens. Take out the SOS feature and put this Turbo option in instead. Even if runtime was only 15 minutes, it would come in handy.

Thanks for reading and thanks to Fenix for putting out such a great product. I can't wait until the above version exists!

Thanks,
Robert

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
A Turbo level with a newer LED. With the advancements in LED technology, I would like to see a new version that had a 4th "Turbo" level that put out around 125 lumens. Take out the SOS feature and put this Turbo option in instead. Even if runtime was only 15 minutes, it would come in handy.

This can already be partly done with a 10440 li-ion battery :devil: Thats what I edc every day!

Oh, and I'm not trying to start a debate as to whether this is safe to do or whatnot. There are plenty of threads for that. I am merely pointing out that it CAN be done.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a lug (i.e. Arc AAA) type body for the Fenix L0x heads.

Good god no. Think of the tailstanding!! :laughing:

RH, I see where you're coming from- 1.2mm thick aluminium body, perfectly circular, no fancy doo-dahs on the tail, just flat metal, and a gently contoured head so you can grip it...

I think I may have just decided what my first custom light will be!!

RH

Enlightened
Hi Jarl,

You've got it! I'd love to see something like this made...especially when a new LED is available that could squeeze even more out of the AAA.

Anto

Enlightened
I would like the LOD to see a few changes:

Factory rear forward clickie
100% ability to take 10440's without a chance of burning out.
Slightly textured reflector.
New emitter, maybe GD or something better.

Things I want but probably won't see:
User definable brightness
Memory mode

jl.

Newly Enlightened
I've just discovered CPF when I was looking for advice on what to get to replace my keychain light. In the last 2 weeks have bought myself an Olight M20, Fenix L0D and a Nitecore D10!

The Fenix lives on my keychain and is definitely my favourite light. Bright, light easy to use and always there.... but it's small enough that I don't notice it there when I don't need it.

Two things I'd like to see different:
1. Why can't the modes go from low-med-high-SOS? I figure most people would use it like I do, ie as a keychain light. Seems this would make sense as I could turn it on in the car and not have my night vision disturbed for map reading, when I get up late at night I wouldn't disturb my family, and when I get my keys out to get into the house late at night I can just turn it on and up if I need more light. Plus I'd have SOS at the end as it's not likely to be a feature I'd need immediately if I ever did need it.
2. It would be great too, if on top of the low-med-high-SOS, there could be a secondary way to activate the strobe mode instantly so as to disorient a would be attacker... not sure how you'd do it though.

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Great light. It has become my second most used flashlight.

To improve the light:

1. Get rid of the PWM

2. Make the switching less sensitive - sometimes I find it will jump two levels

3. round off the sharp part of the end of the light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's also one of my most used lights and I've eagerly been awaiting an update of this light from Fenix.

LOD emitter poll here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199261

I've been running the 10440 almost exclusively lately and I've never had an LED failure.

Since I don't use the light on a key chain I also would be fine if they just cut the back of the light flat. I wouldn't care for it rounded because I like to tail stand it quite often.

+1 for a minimum body thickness. The light is very stout and somewhat overbuilt as it is. The ArcAAA has a great reputation for durability and it's much thinner than the LOD. And yes, I've ready for a R2 but I'm not going to hold my breath since R2's have been so slow coming to market.

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
I love mine but use it as a shirt pocket light with a clip because I'm afraid I'd mess it up in my pants pocket. I like to see a titanium model though.:D

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
There was a ti version but it was a lux III. I'd be interested in another though.

I recently dropped a U2 bin SSC P4 into an L0-Ti.
It's holy hell on a 10440, but i mostly use it with a
duracell lsd AAA on low. great little light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I recently dropped a U2 bin SSC P4 into an L0-Ti.
It's holy hell on a 10440, but i mostly use it with a
duracell lsd AAA on low. great little light.

That must be a beauty! It would be fun to see how it compares to a LOD Q4 on 10440 although it wouldn't surprise me if the P4 was brighter.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like my L0D Rebel 80 version just the way it is. But since it's a key-chain light, it would be nice if Fenix included one of their swivel lobster-claw clips with the light, along with the pocket-carry clip that already comes with the L0D.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Can you use our L0D's so that we can keep our favorite light and if not, what color bodies will you be using?

Speaking of a warmer led you've got me on the waiting list, but what other differences would there be from the Q4?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The main thing that's kept me from getting one is the need for a lower low that comes on first. I've come very close to solving this by buying an LF2x, but have held off for a new L0D. Got my fingers crossed.

Geoff