Lummi Raw & Wee vs. Drake & Draco

MKLight

Enlightened
Hi Does anyone have at least one Lummi and one Modamag light? What are the big differences you like/dislike about either in EDC? Both seem like excellent manufacturers and have great lights.

Thanks for your help in confusing me more! :thumbsup: I know I can buy both...but all four? :thinking:

Thanks again! :twothumbs
Mike
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=5840

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I've got two Lummis and one Drake. The Raw lights are awesomely bright and I like the tritium vial options. They are a bit chunky though and they lack knurling which is something they could really use IMO. The Drakes are also incredibly bright, have a more slender form and they have knurling which makes them grippier and easier to activate. I find myself preferring the Drake but honestly you can't go wrong with either. You will be amazed at how much light these little packages put out.

Secur1

Enlightened
I too was in the process of getting either the NS or the Draco, i ended up getting the draco purely due to it's smaller size and i haven't regreted it, it's the only light in my small collection that never stops giving me that WOW feeling when i turn it on at full brightness.
I've had it on my keys for over a year now and it still looks like new.
My only wish is that i could afford the titanium one.....

heckboy

Enlightened
I put a short response to a similar question in this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207962

Adding a little more detail, I've got a Drake (TiCN), Draco (Chrome), Wee NS, Raw NS, and Raw Al.

IMHO the tritium locations on the Lummi lights are fantastic and allow the lights to be found easily in the EDC detritus on my dresser. The tritiums on the Modamag lights are located on the base of the battery tube and I've grown to feel that you are more likely to not be able to see the tritiums than to see them.

For keychain use I'm sold a little more on the Modamags since they are smaller in diameter and easier to pocket than the Lummi. I would like to have a knurl or spline or something on the Raw lights to make then easier to work. I've found the Raw requires two handed operation almost always.

They are all surreal in brightness. In terms of size to output I'm always impressed with the Draco at full power. If I was planning on spending my time hunting needles in haystacks I'd probably want my Raw NS...

Later,
HB

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
had a wee and a draco. sold both, but regretted selling the draco. replaced it with a drake, and love it. love the lummis, but for a small tiny light i like the draco/drake the best.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
had a wee and a draco. sold both, but regretted selling the draco. replaced it with a drake, and love it. love the lummis, but for a small tiny light i like the draco/drake the best.

Thanks, HoopleHead... this is important stuff for making the final decision. Could you tell us more about why? I was starting to really lean towards the wee...until I read your post. I'm gonna be :broke: by the end of this!

MKLight

Enlightened
Peter Atwood, ~Decide~, Secur1, heckboy, HoopleHead:

Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:

Thanks, HoopleHead... this is important stuff for making the final decision. Could you tell us more about why? I was starting to really lean towards the wee...until I read your post. I'm gonna be :broke: by the end of this!

+1...thanks for your questions applevison!

How does the FluPic work? I have a Jil Intelli and sometimes it turns on as expected (low, user def, high) and sometimes it turns on in a different order. Do you like the FluPic and does it work reliably?

Looking forward to hearing more responses! Also, how long does usually shipping take for either? I live in Pennsylvania.

Thanks again!
Mike

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm pretty much between the Wee vs. the Drake--these seem to be the little buggers (as opposed to the Raw and the Draco, the big brothers of each).

I feel like we need an ultra-tiny light shootout, because I can't really find good comparisons out there.

I did read this from another board by a member called "iconoclast":
I have both the draco and the wee, but I don't have a firefly to compare against.
When I picked up my draco, I went for the combo deal that included the drake, which is the draco's little sibling.
When placed side by side, the drake and the wee are very close in size. They're the same diameter, and use the same battery, but the triangle bit on the tail of the drake, which houses the trit and lanyard hole, is the only part that extends taller than the wee (including it's trit and lanyard tail). The draco is the same diameter but taller than either of these, sort of like a smaller arc-aaa. So among the items I have on hand to compare against, the wee is the winner for the smallest size category, but only slightly beating out the drake.
My pros/cons so far:

Lummi Wee Pros:
Low price
Smaller (slightly!)
Warm light option
Optional brightness

Lummi Wee Cons:
1 mode only: Need to choose brightness and stick with it
? less durable
Slipperier due to lack of knurling

Drake Pros:
Multi Mode
? More durable
Knurling for better grip

Drake Cons:
High Price
Complicated table of options when ordering (I know that's sort of lame, but the page really does put me off a bit!)
--

So, I'm thinking it's Wee for me. The significant price disparity really pushes me towards the Wee (about $82 for what I want vs. >$150 for the Drake!)...

Guys, does this sound right?

And if so... I will need some help: 25/50/100 lumens?!?! Which one?! I am a lumenophile/luxwhore so I long for the 100 lumens... BUT, with only 15 min runtime, I kind of think that the tradeoff is too extreme... I'd like to keep it on my keychain as a veritable "phial of Galadriel"... And although folks have warned against the trits in such a situation (folks have said that they are liable to break), I think I need them!!

Finally: What color trit to get? I think I'm okay with all three colors, but I want to know which one seems brightest/easiest to see. Any thoughts?

Any advice/thoughts/photos are highly welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
heckboy - Could you please post a picture of these lights next to each other?

+1!
uselesswithoutpics.gif

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to keep it on my keychain as a veritable "phial of Galadriel"... And although folks have warned against the trits in such a situation (folks have said that they are liable to break), I think I need them

FYI I'm telling you I had my keys in the same pocket with my raw ns (For 5 minutes)accidenatlly and the tritum vial broke:poof:

They seem to be very very fragile.

If the trituns on the wee are anything like the one on the ns I'm sure they will crack.

That said the raw ns is my favorite light for edc.

IMO it's awesome.

Does anyone know the difference in lumens of the turbo head drake/draco and regular or estimated output of lumens for either?

Thanks.

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
I have a Wee NS at 25 lumens as my current EDC. I chose not to put trits because of my keys. I also got the Raw AL at 20/200 lumens and with trits. That was my trade of to the Wee:D

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, nathan310 and Kapak. Okay, I will not get the trits on my Wee... :mecry:... but I will have to copy Kepak and get a Raw with trits! :twothumbs

...and with that I am truly a CPF member now... I will BUY BOTH!:welcome:

MKLight

Enlightened
Thanks for your help! I also have the Raw NS and Wee NS on order. As soon as I receive those, the Drake or Draco will be next. Hopefully not both of them or my account will go :poof:! lol :sssh:

Thanks,
Mike

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, nathan310 and Kapak. Okay, I will not get the trits on my Wee... :mecry:... but I will have to copy Kepak and get a Raw with trits! :twothumbs

...and with that I am truly a CPF member now... I will BUY BOTH!:welcome:

Excellent choice!

I'm waiting on a warm tint raw ns I ordered with 5 trits:devil:

I will just have to be very careful that the ns stays alone in the pocket this time.