extension tube increase lumen for Dereelight for DBS V2?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
does the extension tub for Dereelight increase lumen output? or

does the extension tub only increase run time for the Dereelight DBSV2

I want to add further info.

the stock DBS V2 run on 1X 18650 lithium ion. the extension tube will add extra 18650 battery.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The drive will burn out(or stop working to protect itself as I remember Dereelight saying) on anything higher then what a single Li-ion provides.

An extension will do noting except risk burning out the driver and LED.

If you had the module that accepts 2 Li-ions, you'll get more runtime. The driver doesn't send more current to the LED if the voltage is higher.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Increase brightness? No LEDs dont' work that way.
Burn out the driver in the DBS pill? Definitely.

If they made a new pill with a driver that accepts up to 9V it would only increase the runtime.

(and gunner12 beat me to it)

Fird

Enlightened
The 1SM or 2SM modules accept higher voltages, if you're using an SD module then a second 18650 will produce a brief puff of smoke. With an SM module you could use a pair of 18650's for twice the runtime, but LED's and their associated control circuits do not get brighter with increased voltage.

The driver operates in a "buck" mode rather than a "boost" mode for the SM modules, taking 8.4ish volts from the 2x18650's down to 3.5-4v for the LED by selecting a voltage that produces a constant current (~1A) through the LED.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1SM or 2SM modules accept higher voltages, if you're using an SD module then a second 18650 will produce a brief puff of smoke. With an SM module you could use a pair of 18650's for twice the runtime, but LED's and their associated control circuits do not get brighter with increased voltage.

The driver operates in a "buck" mode rather than a "boost" mode for the SM modules, taking 8.4ish volts from the 2x18650's down to 3.5-4v for the LED by selecting a voltage that produces a constant current (~1A) through the LED.

I am referring to this DBS V2
http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm
do you see the extension tube on the page? will the driver burn out with extension tube? I am concerned about this issue.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
do you see the extension tube on the page? will the driver burn out with extension tube? I am concerned about this issue.
He was also referring to the DBS too(V2 is shorter then V1 and has dark HA, IIRC those are the only difference), more specifically the modules that you can use with the DBS.

There is no extension tube for the DBS. At least none that I know of.

Which pill do you have? If your pill's name ends with D, then it can't take anything more then 1 Li-ion battery. If you have the 1 SM-2 and 3 SM, and made your own extension, then you can run 2 Li-ion batteries.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Dereelight does make an extension tube of their own, it's on their page. Their own notes echo what everyone said already:

Extension tube for DBS V2-- $12

Note: you can run 2xptotected 18650, 4xCr123As or 4xptotected RCR123's with 1SM-2 module

What I'd be curious to know, is whether Alan can brew up a custom pill that would have the output of the 1S pill, but accept 2 x 18650 voltage levels. I've misappropriated my DBS V2 as a specialty bicycle headlight, and 3+ hours of runtime would be cool :tinfoil:

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
A pill (or driver) that is designed for use with 1x18650, and is actually optimized for 1x18650, uses a boost/buck setup that keeps the LED in regulation regardless of whether the input voltage is slightly above or slightly below the Vf of the LED at the drive level that the driver is setup for. Modules that do this, are almost exclusively only compatible with 1 li-ion cell, or 3x alk/NIMH/NiCD cells. Applying more voltage will fry the module. The 1S, and 3SD are examples of this type of regulation. This is, IMO, the best type of module to select if you are planning to use rechargeable 18650s exclusively.

A pill (or driver) that uses a buck-only regulation, is generally compatible with higher input voltages. These types of drivers need an input voltage higher than or equal to the Vf of the LED (sometimes as much as a full volt or more higher depending on the design) in order to maintain "regulated" current across the LED. When the voltage drops too low, the current across the LED drops as well. A module like this can be driven by a single li-ion cell, but the result is steadily diminishing output through the run, rather than a flat constant brightness. The advantage is increased runtime (usually around double), the disadvantage is that the module only operates close to full brightness when the cell has a full charge. This is like the 1SM-2, and the 3SM. If you were to compare a 1x18650 and 2x18650 setup on one of these modules, the difference WOULD be in brightness, as both configurations would be about the same ~4 hours. But the 2x18650 setup would maintain constant brightness, while 1x18650 would dim down as it ran.

Those buck-only regulated drivers, can handle input voltages of multiple cells without frying as mentioned. In the case of the 1SM-2, it can even handle the voltage of 4xCR123s, or even 5, if you wanted to for some reason. But I think the concept here, is a 4xCR123 length host, with the option to run either 2x18650s or 4xCR123s as needed. The output remains the same regardless of whether you use 2x18650 or 4xCR123s. The runtime is pretty similar both ways as well I would imagine.

Personally, I would not be too concerned about the different drive levels between the modules. The difference between driving an XRE at 1 amp, compared with 1.2A, is probably only something that can be measured. I highly doubt it would make any noteworthy difference in usefulness. Keep in mind, that it takes about 30% difference in output to really see. Increasing the drive level to an LED always reduces efficiency, so that extra 20% drive level probably only results in maybe 10-15% more light, hardly noticeable. IMO, if you are adding an extra cell, with the intention of having increased runtime (which is the main purpose IMO!), then having that slightly lower drive level is important, as it will keep the light cooler for those extended runs, and at the same time, extend that runtime out even further.

---------------------------

Anyways, that's enough rambling. The point in the end, is that, if you want a longer running light, use a buck regulated module and 2x18650 host setup. If you want a more compact light, use a 1x18650 host, and a boost/buck module. If you want both, invent a better battery :)

Eric

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you read the description??

Extension tube for DBS V2-- $12

Note: you can run 2xptotected 18650, 4xCr123As or 4xptotected RCR123's with 1SM-2 module

Can it be any more clear? It tells you exactly what batteries you can use, and what pill you must use, the 1SM-2. If you do what the description says you will be fine.

Will it be brighter? No, just longer run time.

mdocod

Flashaholic
"WILL IT BE BRIGHTER???"

Depends what you compare it to, 2x18650s driving a 1SM-2 will be brighter than 1x18650 driving that same module, and have about the same runtime. However, a 2x18650 configuration driving a 1SM-2 will not be any brighter than a single 18650 driving a 1S, but will have ~double the runtime.... Does this make sense? This is the message I was trying to convey above, but I think I rambled way to much for it to be of any value :)

Eric