Arc AAA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Folks,
comparatively, how bright is an arc aaa. Do you have anything that you could compare the brightness of this light to. Trying to get an idea to see if I need one. thanks for the forums. dtsoll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
You definately need an Arc AAA, it's an incredibly handy light. Brigheness is such a hard thing to describe--I see you've got about 47 posts so tell me--what lights to you have already? It's brighter than a Mag Solitare, just a smigin brighter than a Photon 3, not as bright as an Arc LS.

paulr

Flashaholic
It's somewhat less bright and less focused than a 2AA minimag set on spot. This is fine.

It's the right brightness for most anything you could want to do light with a flashlight that's less than say 10 feet away. That is, it's fine for walking around in the dark, for reading or looking at maps, looking around a room, etc. It's not a long distance searchlight. Of course there's close-up situations when you'll want a brighter light, e.g. if you drop your contact lens outside at night. However, as a single light to always have with you, it's the best choice I've seen so far.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
It seems like owning an Arc AAA is almost a pre-req for CPF membership ;-)

I have an AAA LE, it is bright enough for an emergency, bright enough to keep you from tripping over something in the dark, and you can read with it ... but I personally wouldn't want to use it for reading very long.

I also have an Ultra-G. The Ultra-G is noticably brighter than the AAA, but it is also bulkier and heavier [being AA driven]. countycom $15 price is hard to pass on for the Ultra-G.

Obviously, get both [and a few SF's too!]

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has a single Nichia LED in it, and has a reflector.

It is one of the brighter, single Nichia LED lights in the marketplace. ARC will only put in high quality, highly rated LED's, as opposed to cheap keychain lights that put in any quality LED's.

BUT, and this is not a knock to ARC, this going to be in the light output class of a Photon, or a CMG Infinity or similar product.

It's a great light, it uses 1 AAA battery, has constant light output (no diming until the battery is almost completely drained) but it is not a 2 million CP spotlight.

There is probably about a billion posts here on CPF if you want to read about this great little light!

paulr

Flashaholic
I think LED's vary in brightness from one to the next. I have an Ultra-G and I think it's a little bit brighter than the Arc but it's hard to tell. The beam shape is also a little different. In both cases the difference is very small. If you pointed one of them at a wall and asked me which it was, I definitely wouldn't know. If you pointed both of them at a wall side by side and asked me which was which, I still might guess wrong.

The Ultra being larger fits in the hand better but it's quite heavy even for a 1AA light. It weighs almost as much as an Arc LS or Surefire E1. The AAA works great for me as a keychain light, so I'm almost never without it. The Ultra is nice around the house because I don't have to pull out my keyring to use it.

dtsoll

Enlightened
You guys are probably right I do need one. Saaby, I have an E2e, E2, E1e, 2 or 3 mini-mags, solitaire, 3D mag and a few others I can't think of right now. In the process of getting a camo E2e just because. And now, probably an Arc AAA. Do I want the LE? or not? thanks for the advice guys. dtsoll

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get a LE if you want a white light. The turquoise is brighter, just depends on what you want the light for.

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
Is it the CMG infinity Ultra You have? That is stronger than the Arc AAA?
The reason Iäm asking is that I have an CGM Infinity Ultyra and Iäm looking at the Arc AAA

paulr

Flashaholic
The CMG Infinity Ultra that I have is a LITTLE TINY BIT brighter than my Arc AAA. The difference is so small that you can only tell if you hold them next to each other and look carefully. If you already have a CMG Infinity Ultra, you can think of the Arc AAA as exactly the same light except smaller (it uses an AAA battery instead of an AA). The Arc weighs about half as much as the Infinity/Ultra so it's easier to put the Arc on your key chain and carry it all the time. The smaller battery lasts 5 hours or so instead of 12 hours. Except for that, there isn't much difference.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lights are the same as paulr's. I can't tell the difference in the output between them at all. The CMG is a slightly different color and I think has a smaller/brighter hotspot. Therefore it has slightly better throw. But the ArcAAA has a better beam overall and really, a/b testing I can't tell that one is actually putting out more light.

These are all single LED's so perhaps describing "throw" is a bit of an exageration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but if you've never seen either or any other good single LED light you'll be really surprised how bright these things are in the dark!

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"Burning Time\"

Hello! And thankyou for your answers.
My CMG INfinity Ultra is quite bluish in the spot, is The Arc AAA premium equalli bluish? (I hope not).

Have You meassured the burning time of the lights?
I haven't measured my CMG but the instructions says 25 hours (which is strange if the Arc has 5 hours it would be more reasonable with somewhere around 10 hours).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts