C or D battery cree light

bikenjam

Newly Enlightened
hi folks, i was just looking at the batteries i have and it seems i have quite a few c alkaline batteries and D rechargeables. I was wondering if there is any cree lights out there that take these other than the maglight dropins. i was hoping for something above 150 lumens and under $50. Does such an animal exist?

thanks for the time and imput!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Targets sells a 2D Brinkman Cree with a digital readout and multiple modes, but the build quality is kinda iffy.

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
River Rock 2C Cree

I purchased a River Rock 2C at Target a week ago on a whim... Turns out that it puts out more useful light than my Surefire 9AN Commander. I have used it every night this week for work on the original set of alkaline batteries and it has yet to diminish at all (very good regulation). My Surefire 9AN does throw further, when freshly charged, but does not put out as much useful spill and diminishes continuously as it runs... providing slightly less than an hour of "useful" light for my purposes....
The River Rock's emitter star sits in a nice, large, aluminum heat sink that can be unscrewed with a spanner, is marked 'CREE 7090', has an aluminum OP reflector, and nothing is glued so the light can be completely disassembled. The finish is a simple, but even and flawless, black anodizing, the threads are smooth, even and well cut, both ends are sealed with o-rings, and the switch is a tail cap forward clicky with momentary on. For @ $27 its a very nice light!

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lowes Taskforce 2C cell. Beware it also comes in a 3 watt luxeon version that is not as bright. Check the packaging before purchasing.

RayOvac Sportsman Extreme 3C cell 4 watt. This is a great light if you need run-time. I got mine in the summer of 07 and it still has the original batteries and it was used for hours through a power outage that last nearly a day.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
I Have the Task Force 2 C Cell (both versions) and the Auto Zone's 2 C Cell Professional Favorite , a Maglite 2 c cell and now the River Rock Nightfire and gotta say the build quality (threading and a thicker wall body) on the River Rock is right behind the Maglite. The packaging says 136 Lumens (probably high) and unlike the Cree version of the Task Force light, the beam is broader and a lot smoother on the Nightfire. I prefer the broad spill this light has over the Task Force. If throw is want though stick with the Task Force or the Maglite. As for the Nightfire the run time is great, so far I got 4 hours with no noticeable change in brightness on the original akalines. Its rated at 21 hours at maximum and 60 hours useful light. Most likely an exaggerated claim . I have used it briefly with my Powerex C cells and it works fine. One other feature I like is the light stands on its end as the switch is recessed , something the other lights do not have. Gotta laugh at the packaging directions. It says under battery replacement: unscrew end cap from light. remove old batteries and replace with two new "AA" size akaline batteries . Hmmmm!