type III anodization Al light get scratch ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does type III anodization of Aluminum flashlight get scratch from daily use?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Anything harder then it can scratch it(not much can though).

It also slowly wears though use. IIRC Aluminum Oxide is slightly soluble so of left in a large enough body of water, water long enough it will dissolve.

The metal underneath it is weaker then the coating so the metal can bend enough so it breaks the HA surface.

It can also chip.

If you look at pictures of well used lights, you will see that it starts to wear around the edges first. That is where the coating is the weakest.

radiomanss

Newly Enlightened
You really have to beat it up a bit to get it scratched: if you EDC a type III anodized light in a pocket without sharp metal objects, its going to stay very clean. Anodizing quality varies between lights, depending on -- among other things -- the purity of the base aluminum.

FredM

Enlightened
In my experience even with dropping and not being very gentle, I mostly just lose the finish around sharp corners and edges.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just a strong finish, not a perfect one. HA will get damaged. Most often it will wear off on raised surfaces, edges etc. It doesn't necessarily take something extremely hard, either. A hard anodised light that is carried with keys for a long time will eventually show signs of wear.

Regards,
Tempest

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Type III anodizing doesn't hold up for me the way I carry my lights. Here's about 3 months of carrying my Nitecore Extreme:

NEI.sized.jpg

My Eagletac T10C which retired the NEI is showing very bad signs of wear. I don't mind at all, I'm just letting you know it won't last forever.