OlightM20 did I miss something

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Planning on pulling the trigger and buying the Olight M20. Have done a lot of reading but want some expert opinions. Is there another light close the the Olight price point with simular or better attributes.

Output
good runtime
modes i.e low med high

this is what I plan to do with it

paper work, looking for dropped items in cab compartment of engine.

Walking at night unlit rocky, poor footing areas (have a zebra ordered to assist).

Riding the rear of train backing up in unlit rural areas and providing warning to vehicals/pedestrians (need to get there attention).

I dont want to buy something and go OH CRAP I should have got that. Also if you know of something to be released in the "NEAR" future. I could probably wait a little while.

thanks
hangn

ps If you have a suggestion that not easly found please leave a link.

60ndown

Banned
im new to lights, but for the last 24 hours ive looked at a lot, the OlightM20 does seem to fit your requirements very well, i havent seen anything with similar or better output/runtime/features for $90.

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight CL1H is about the same:

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4.htm

but can be configured to different configuration, depending on pill and reflector.

I also considered that but I am not confident enough in myself to start wrenching on a new light. Its my hangup and likely not a problem with most on the forum. I am educating my self so that might be an option down the road.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I also considered that but I am not confident enough in myself to start wrenching on a new light. Its my hangup and likely not a problem with most on the forum. I am educating my self so that might be an option down the road.

Your don't really have to wrench it, your get it in a working configuration.

It contains five parts: Head, body, tail, pill and reflector. Usual your can take them apart without tools.

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Its likely hangn out @ the batt forum for the last couple of days has casued me to over complicate this. That works with this, but not with those, and if you use these, from here, that might go boom ect,,,.

I should have included in my OP "turn key, an good history of reliablitiy" sorry

I hope you understand that I am not trying to engage you as that would with doubt end with me showing my lack of knowledge on the subject matter. And I do appreciate your responses.

thanks
hangn

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been here a few years....and while I am not nearly the expert that some others here are...here is my .02.

After buying a couple thousand dollars worth of lights (not counting hid lights) including over 10 Surefire lights, a few Fenix lights etc, I can highly recomend the M20 to you for a few reasons.

1. It is very bright, but it also has 2 well spaced lower levels that will allow you to read paperwork (low) or light up an engine compartment for hours (med) on one 18650 rechargable battery.

2. It will not leave you quickly in the dark...and can use primary and rechargable batteries. I love my 18650 only lights. They have flatter regulation than the Olight....but at a price. If I run out of juice in my Raidfire spear for expample and do not have any other charged 18650's arround, I cannot put 2x123a primaries in it without frying it. I can put them into the Olight. Also, having a slower discharge curve is nice when you are out in the country and forget to bring an extra battery.

3. Olight is a pretty proven brand here. Companies like Batteryjunction are good at standing behind what they sell and the light is small enough to carry everyday.

Good luck with your decision:)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the opportunity to play with an Olight M20 today. I love it! Interface is easy to switch between modes from a really low low to a blinding 225 (i think) lumen max with a very serviceable medium to a balance between low and max. There is also a strobe mode to this.

And i have to agree that having the option of switching between 18650s and CR123s is a good thing (sorta like 14500s and AAs).

Think its a good buy but couldnt justify it to the missus as i just got a Jetbeam III Pro ST in the morning and played with the Olight this evening.

(but i'm gonna get it though)

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
There are several Jet III models that are similar priced with similar attributes.

I missed that. I have read the review and they seem close with Jet beam a little better on price but does not seem to get as much positive press on the forums. I did notice a couple of replies to the Jet reviews that indicated, they did not own one and were'nt planning on getting one. I did not understand what that was about.

Does anyone have both the JetIII an Olight that could provide some head to head. Again I have been trying and may have missed a review that includes both. If I did just point me in the right direction

thanks Devine

hangn

MoreLumens4Me

Newly Enlightened
What about all the people saying that there Olight M20 flickers? I was going to get one but with all of that going around I decided to wait to get a new light.:shrug: And I have one other question, how does that CL1H compare to the DBS? What is there main difference?

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
It would be cool if the review info was in a spreadsheet or database you could run different querries mixing the lights you want to compare

hangn

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed that. I have read the review and they seem close with Jet beam a little better on price but does not seem to get as much positive press on the forums. I did notice a couple of replies to the Jet reviews that indicated, they did not own one and were'nt planning on getting one. I did not understand what that was about.

Does anyone have both the JetIII an Olight that could provide some head to head. Again I have been trying and may have missed a review that includes both. If I did just point me in the right direction

thanks Devine

hangn
I have a Jet III Pro ST and an Olight M20. The UI's are a little different. The Jetbeam is programmable, the Olight has 3 fixed modes. The Jetbeam doesn't remember the last mode you had it on, so it always goes back to your first programmed mode. The Olight is kind of nice because once you set the mode by twisting the bezel, you have a momentary mode that you can turn on and off however fast you want and it won't change modes or enter the programming menu. Olight has been doing the bezel twist mode change for years, and it seems like no one has noticed until the M20 came out.

I believe that Selfbuilt has done a review on both the M20 and the Jet III Pro ST. I'm not a pro at reviews. I haven't done a single one. I need to try taking beamshots sometime.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Jetbeam III Military is a very good unit - no flickering problems here!!:thumbsup: There has been some very serious complaints from M20 owners of the low battery warning kicking in with freshly charges batteries.

Others with the M20 have had no problems whatsever. It's a new product, probably just a first batch problem but a problem none-the-less.
(hopefully with an easy fix) - nothing more disappointing than a new light that malfunctions.
jr/

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt has 137 hits in the review forum. JetIII and Olight M20 are not together in the titles. I have been reading all of his reivews and have not found a head to head on these two lights yet. I have to go to work for a couple of days. If anyone knows what I should link to, please let me know. Also just out of curiosity should I be including the Spartion in my comparsion?

hangn

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Jetbeam III Military is a very good unit - no flickering problems here!!:thumbsup: There has been some very serious complaints from M20 owners of the low battery warning kicking in with freshly charges batteries.

Others with the M20 have had no problems whatsever. It's a new product, probably just a first batch problem but a problem none-the-less.
(hopefully with an easy fix) - nothing more disappointing than a new light that malfunctions.
jr/
From what I see, there have been two people with the problem that have posted all over the place about it.

I'm sure they will get their lights replaced if they just contact the seller. It doesn't look like as big of a problem as some people think.