Another EDC thread.

relic1300

Newly Enlightened
I'm rather picky, and I'm wondering what if anything is out there that meets my criteria for an EDC light, though it's pocket time will probably be split with my 3 watt Luxeon Nuwai that I use now. So far, I'm leaning towards this Ultrafire: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027. For the price, I really don't care if it lasts all that long.

What I'd like:
2x AA or CR123 size
Twisty Cap with momentary, or Single Mode Clicky (forward preferred)
Pocket clip - Major Points for that
Brighter than the advertised 65 Lumens of my Nuwai
I'd like to stay under $50 if possible, but I'd like to hear all recommendations

I was looking at a Strion we have at work and almost pulled the trigger on the purchase, but I'm sort of hung up on a clip for some reason. I really like the one on my Nuwai. Any other Streamlight recommendations would be nice.

Thanks!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its about twice your budget (used) but you wanted to hear all options - I'd highly recommend the Surefire L1 Cree:

-Excellent UI - light press for 10 lumens, hard press for 65 lumens then twist for constant low, twist more for constant high. My favorite UI of any light.
-The 65 lumens is on par with the 100+ lumens of my fenix
-Is a monster thrower, not too much spill (add an F04 difuser)
-Decent runtimes
-Excellent fit and finish
-Clip
-Perfect form factor
-Tough as nails
-You get the surefire warranty for life
-Holds its value very well

Also check out the E1B (can be had for $110 on BST) if you need even more power with a clicky UI. Can be had for under $100 on the BST forums...

Wattnot

Enlightened
+1 on the L1 Cree (newest) edition.

However, it looks like you wanted a 2 x cr123 light so you really should take a look at either of the two lights I just finished reviewing here.

If it's a 2 cell, bright, executive style, fwd click, edc sized light you're looking for, your search should end with that thread!! Either one is only slightly over your budget.

manoloco

Enlightened
From your description im assuming you are looking for a led light:

You might want to check the Nitecore EX10, a nice clip accesory at a very good price is coming for it too, and it meets ALL your criteria and more.

The L1 is an excellent recommendation, however be advised its a lot bigger than the nitecore, and doesnt have a clicky switch, its momentary 2 level and twisty 2 level, however this is close to perfect for how i use the light.

The Nitecore i mentioned is really good:

-130 Lumens
-Piston Drive
-its a 1 level light, but you can program it to have the output you prefer
-has twisty switch momentary switch, and can be set to be a clicky
-runs on a variety of 123 based cells
-uses 7075 Al (but dont know the treatment)
-beam is nice and useful
-has a clip that will be out the coming week i venture to guess, seems to be good from the pre production models pics i have seen

etc

if you want more info:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182840

Last edited:

toolpig1

Enlightened
It's rare in these threads to get recommendations that match the requested budget. I'm a General Contractor who happens to be very busy right now at a time when most are begging for work. One reason is that when a customer gives me their budget, I respect the number and do whatever I can to steer the job in the right direction. Having said that, here is a light that I picked up locally for $28, it's a few dollars more on this site:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Jr_LED_Flashlight.php

Tailcap clickie, pocket clip, 2AA, Cree bright!!! You said Streamlight was a brand of interest, so you must know that they tend to be ultra conservative when reporting lumen output. This light is advertised as 55 lumens, but to my eye, it seems a heck of a lot brighter.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Brighter than the advertised 65 Lumens of my Nuwai

Guess you missed one there, toolpig ! :crackup:

Just kidding though as I agree, some quality lights underrate their stated output. I'd also agree with you that most recommendations fall outside of the original request.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Of course I saw the request for more than 65 lumens, but lumen ratings don't mean a whole lot to me outside the same brand. Look at Coast Led Lenser, for example, where the hell do they come up with their outputs? Of course, they also state runtimes in the hundreds of hours (if a glow not visible to the human eye counts for anything).

We agree that certain requests are undeniable: cost, battery type, size, and features. Brightness is a whole different thing to try to tackle. My Streamlight Junior C4 (rated 55 lumens) is brighter than my Inova XO3 Tiros (rated 80 lumens), no doubt. Anyways Wattnot, I think we're on the same page, and I think you meant to say that many companies over-rate/overstate the output. Streamlight is an exception, my 4AA propoly luxeon is rated only 40 lumens, and it can light up objects several hundred feet away. In fact, it gives my 100 lumen+ lights a run for the money.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Another vote for the new L1 cree. I took the stock clip off mine and installed a clip from the SF E1B instead. Now it is a great EDC bezel-down pocket clipped light!

L1withE1BClip.jpg

E1BClipCarry.jpg

relic1300

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I looked into each of the recommended lights, and so far I think the EagleTac probably fits what I want best.

Yes, I prefer LED, but I wasn't ruling anything out, and I don't mind the suggestions that exceed the budget. I like to know what's out there, and window shopping doesn't cost a thing.

So with me looking at maybe buying an Eagletac (and probably an engraved Streamlight anyway to help our store fill a minimum order), does anyone have any reason I shouldn't waste my time with that Ultrafire I mentioned just to play with? I'm really curious about what I can get out of a $20 light with that much output.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, spend a little more money and buy yourself a quality brand light Surefire, Nitecore etc etc.
You will be more satisfied with a better brand in the long run.
I suspect a few members of this forum started off with the cheap made in China lights, found them lacking in some form or another, so they moved on to the better quality lights .... this includes myself :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, i think that the Ultrafire C3 single mode with a 2 x AA extension tube is something that will fit into your budget and needs. It may not have 230 lumens but is still plenty bright when you run it on 1 x 14500. It costs $18.98 and the link is below.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452

I have had this light for more than a year now and it hasnt failed me yet. gone fishing at the beach, dropped it in sand, been rained on, dropped on rocks and its got some nicks and dings but it runs well.

I am definitely not a technical person, so the best i can tell you for runtimes is that the C3 ran for 1hr 48 minutes on a freshly charged Trustfire 14500 900mAh 3.7 volt cell before the protection circuits cut in and the light went off.

I then put in 2 freshly charged sanyo eneloop AAs and went to take a nap, about 4 hours later, the light levels had dropped significantly but would still be more than ample in dark conditions.

The Ultrafire C3 now comes in Q5, multimode models, but as i have no experience with those, you would have to check online for reviews.

Latest posts