Five Hours of Blackout Last Night

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
So here we were, sitting, watching the storm that blew through Birch Bay,WA yesterday afternoon. All was well until the power went out. It wasn't totally dark so I had time to gather the needed lights. I put the candle adapter on my Fenix L1D and was surprised at the amount of light it put out in medium mode. Only problem is that it won't tail stand very well. The rubber switch cover protrudes ever so slightly so that when the light is set down on the tail, it rocks. Oh well, can't have the best of everything.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Blackouts, as long as they are short, are fun. Last night I had a self-imposed blackout, since the wife's out of town, and used only flashlights and lanterns.

Geoff

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about short blackouts. It's always fun to bring out the whole "herd" and let them run in the dark for a few hours.
I diffuser caps are very useful, I wish there were more available for some other lights.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
blackouts are fun! (pending it's not life threatening to anyone)

you could use a cup for the tailstanding. strange..i could swear that the l1d's are able to tailstand :thinking:

ozner1991

Enlightened
the l1dq5 and the l2d can tailstand but its just an tiny tiny bit of the rubber boot that sticks out making it wobble :mecry:

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
2nd blackout in the last few months

A few nights ago, it started to rain outside, as I was going to bed.
My wife woke me up between 2 or 3 am in the morning and inform me that there was no power in the whole house and she cannot sleep without air con or fan.

Grab my E2D and went to check the circuit breaker. After resetting the circuit breaker, power resumes. Check all electrical devices, including air con and lights are ok.

Went back to sleep. Guess the blackout lasted for less than half an hour.

WDG

Enlightened
I had the same problem with a set of lights from Kai that are a cheap version of the L1D. I discovered that they stand nicely in an end-to-end joint for 1/2" PVC pipe. My L1D does also, but doesn't need it as the switch doesn't protrude on mine.

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
the l1dq5 and the l2d can tailstand but its just an tiny tiny bit of the rubber boot that sticks out making it wobble :mecry:

Yep, the booty stick out about .005", just enough to make it unstable.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
5-7 hour power outages are fun as long as they end before bedtime so you can set your clocks back and make sure the AC and fridge come back on properly.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few hours of power outage at night can be a really fun time! Several years ago, the power went out just after midnight on New Year's Eve. A Princeton Tec Surge upended in a cup provided plenty of light...luckily the power was out only for about 30 minutes.

streetkid

Newly Enlightened
I had a power outage at my house here in socal last Wed about 1.5 hours before the angels/redsox game came on. I had some friends coming over to watch, I used my hyperion ce-r which tailstands nicely and it lit the living room enough to roll something to smoke..

The problem was that it got really hot after a few minutes, so I set it in a glass of water about 1" deep, it stayed nice and cool.

Just as we were gonna burn what we rolled the power came back on, by the time my tv and cable box booted up we were able to dial in the game seriously 5 seconds before the first pitch.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I live in buffalo, NY and some of you may or may not have heard about our "october storm" a couple years back. It was probably the most fun ever! And we didn't need the clocks to be reset because there was a driving bann. so we had no place to go in no hurry. there is nothing like two weeks with no power. although it kinda sucked because I wasn't as much of a flashaholic as I am now... oh well... I'll just have to hope for another one this year!!!

bstrickler

Enlightened
I live in buffalo, NY and some of you may or may not have heard about our "october storm" a couple years back. It was probably the most fun ever! And we didn't need the clocks to be reset because there was a driving bann. so we had no place to go in no hurry. there is nothing like two weeks with no power. although it kinda sucked because I wasn't as much of a flashaholic as I am now... oh well... I'll just have to hope for another one this year!!!

That's why you get solar chargers for the batteries :)

Out here in Tucson, the solar chargers would serve themselves quite useful if power ever went out for long.

~Brian

radiomanss

Newly Enlightened
We live about 50 miles from NYC, in an area that regularly has blackouts. The light part of it is fun -- I generally use a Muyshondt Nautilus, set on its tail, in the low position: it will burn this way all night long for quite a few days, and provide enough light for a room.

What's not fun -- and it's happened once every year for the past three years -- is when the power goes out for an entire night in the middle of the winter. The flashlight lights up the room, but we have no heat.

But I guess this year -- with oil prices and the economic situation -- maybe we should get used to no heat anyway!

Nice thread -- thanks!