Surefire KL1 generation differences?

H2Orower

Enlightened
I'm considering the purchase of a black KL1 to put on a black E1E that I recently bought. Could someone please help educate me on the different generations of the KL1? For example, what was the last version of the KL1 before SF went to the KX1, and how many lumens was it? I've researched and found a 15 lumen KL1. Was this the highest lumen KL1? Also, did all the KL1s have that domed lense that I've seen? Thanks for the help.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Before asking for help do some searching for your answers. This question comes up often and is well documented on CPF pages. If CPF search is not the best for you, use Google-CPF only at the top of every CPF page.

Bill

stuart

Newly Enlightened
I'm going from memory, but the info is out there if you need the specifics. Not sure what came before my first KL1 but I think mine was 3rd generation. here goes:

3rd gen: Ringed looking body. About 22 lumens. single stage

4th gen: Smooth body(same as current). Dome lense, tight beam, very little spill. about 30 lumens

1st KX2 Same body as above but no dome type optics. about 45 lumens. Don't have it so not sure about the beam.

2nd Kx2. First two stage light. 60 high 3 low. More spill than 4th gen. Beam sort of like a E2d led but not as bright.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1 Variations

1st - Ringed bezel with 1-watt low-dome, domed battery contact point.

2nd - Ringed bezel with 1-watt low-dome, flat battery contact point for reverse polarity protection.

3rd - Ringed bezel with 1-watt high-dome.

4th - KL4-style bezel with 3-watt high dome.

Mark

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The previous answers are all wrong. :shakehead :sigh: :(

1st gen - ringed looking bezel w/ flat bezel ring. Lux1

2nd gen - ringed looking bezel w/ scalloped bezel ring. Lux1

3rd gen - KL4 style head. Lux3, I think w/ a higher current.

4th gen - longer bezel w/ domed lens, Lux3 definitely higher current and tir optic

ALL the above work with 1, 2 or 3 primary cells (9 volts max).

THEN they came out with the KXx stuff.

Last edited:

H2Orower

Enlightened
Thank you very much Sinjz, Flash Gordon and Stuart. I appreciate your willingness to answer my question. Based on your comments, it sounds like the KL1 here is a 4th generation based upon the image, but the textual description doesn't seem to match the image. I did call the place, and was told that the package definitely says "3 watt", with no indication of lumen output.

So just to confirm: if this image is correct, and it is in fact a 3 watt 4th gen. KL1, will it be about 25-30 lumen output when used on a E1E body? That's really what I'd like to know. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sinjz,
The term scalloped should be used instead of crenelated.
SureFire use crenelated to refer to the more aggressive "Strike Bezels" such as the 6PDL, E2DL, M3-CB, M4-CB etc.
(CB = Crenelated Bezel)