Can someone compare 2 Malkoffs for me ?

GPB

Enlightened
I am considering taking the Malkoff plunge. I already have a 6p clone and a Mag 3 or 4 D host. The M60 is rated at 235 lumens and has the optic while the Mag is rated at 240 lumens with no optic. I was hoping that someone who had both of these could compare them for me. I don't need graphs or beamshots or anything....just a description of the difference between the two.

I have a Surefire G2L and an E1B and while they are both called 80 lumen lights, they are drastically different.....is that similar to what I would find between these two Malkoffs ?

Thanks

ginaz

Enlightened
got them both. in my homemade lightbox, the M60 (on rcr's) reads a bit higher, 20%. in use, the Mag out-throws the M60 by far. the M60 has a much better spill beam and is, naturally, more pocketable than a maglite. the M60 leans a bit bluer than the Mag. love them both for different uses.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The lumens count between the 2 are consistent in my experience.

The difference in output is there but it is due to the different types of beams.
Tighter hotspot and more throw from the big reflector.
Good combo of throw and spill from the optic making a nice utility beam.

But which Mag will you be getting? The 3 or the 4, the 4 is brighter! You can also sputter the Mag's reflector for better utility.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
got them both. in my homemade lightbox, the M60 (on rcr's) reads a bit higher, 20%. in use, the Mag out-throws the M60 by far. the M60 has a much better spill beam and is, naturally, more pocketable than a maglite. the M60 leans a bit bluer than the Mag. love them both for different uses.

+1 to the above except that the M60 tint is rather warm, no sign of blue in mine..

I have both in 3D Mag and surefire 9P.

mag pros:
cheap lite.
Can use either cheap alks or NiMH cells.
Runtime is very good. I haven't timed it but it seems to take forever to run down a 10,000 mAh cell.
throw is very good. Can install a "flood" reflector.
3D Mag can use 3D or 4C.

cons: Kind of big. Not EDC material.

M60 pros:

Good for EDC.
Very practical throw/flood combo.
awesome quality.

cons: better stock up on expensive primaries or learn all about Li-Ion cells. No cheap over the counter cells, have to order online.

In conclusion, I will say I use Surefire 9P with M60 a lot more often than Mag but I am getting 17500 cells for it with primary 123s as backup.

GPB

Enlightened
thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately now I want them both. I'd still like to hear from anyone else that has both since I still have to decide which one to get first.

Also, if anyone has a BOG Superpremium drop in and could work that into the conversation that would be helpful as well since I have one of those and its in the same 200+ lumen range.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I have both Malkoffs (3D Mag and M60) and the BOG Q5 Super premium. They're all great products.

I think that the BOG Q5 super premium outhrows the M60, but not by a significant amount. I find the M60 flood more usable, and like the tint of the M60 better (very warm). The BOG drop-in is a fine module, but I think that the M60 edges it out.

I installed some diffusion film on the lens of the Mag to smooth out the beam and provide better flood. It cuts down on the lumens a little bit, but the Malkoff drop-in provides lumens to spare. This is my usual taking-out-the-trash light, and the wide field of view is more important to me than crazy throw. (Every once in a while, I get the crazy throw itch and bring out my Ultrastinger instead.)

I think this is one case where it's hard to argue with the buy-them-both mentality.

optodoofus