Single AA light for X mas gifts

ledpimp

Newly Enlightened
Well the season is rolling around and I wanted to get a jump on the shopping. What a great way to get people interested in my so called hobby by buying them a really bright flashlight.

I'm want to stick with AA cause these are for non hardcore users and they won't require the extra run time or compact size provided by a 123 light. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot but I am not cheap either, I will pay for quality. I will probably be buying about 4 of the same models for 4 of my family members as stocking stuffers. I'd prefer tail switch activation, perhaps a high and low mode and that's it. Any suggestions?

I currently own the Fenix T1 and P2D. Thanks for any help. I tried the search but this forum has so much traffic it is hard to narrow it down.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't indicate an actual price range, but the 1xAA Romisen/SAIK RC-A3 seems to be popular on DX.

$14.55 to $15.55 depending on the colour you want. Has a tail switch and CREE P4.

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
Since you're already familiar with the Fenixes and you want two mode, this comes to mind: Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2 Black

But for that kind of price, you might want to consider the L2T (brighter high) or L2D (brighter high and more modes--but you can use it as a two mode by just twisting the turbo head to go from low to turbo).

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF ledpimp.

Are you looking specifically for a single AA light or are 2x AA or 4x AA lights ok? Will they be used as general around-the-house lights, pocket carry lights or workshop lights?

Last edited:

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the NItecore D10, NDI.
The Nitecores are definitely nice lights. But to non-flashaholics, i think it would be a waste of money. I gave my sister a single mode MTE SSC P4 light and she never uses it. What a drag.

To OP,
I think the Fenix E01 would be a good choice as the users can just hook it on with their keys. It's small, compact, uses AAA (i know you said AA), and inexpensive.

ledpimp

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF ledpimp.

Are you looking specifically for a single AA light or are 2x AA or 4x AA lights ok? Will they be used as general around-the-house lights, pocket carry lights or workshop lights?

Thanks Thrift, long time lurker I don't really post much, specifically I want it to be a single cell AA. I like the versatility of AA cells and for the non flashaholics I think it makes it simple, plus the smaller size of a single AA flashlight is handy for purse or pocket.

Someone was asking about price, I don't want to go crazy I wouldn't mind spending up to 60 bucks a piece. Main thing is simplicity and brightness.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm thinking a Romisen RC-N3 might be good. Simple, AA powered, and has a forward clickie. But it is only a 1 mode light.

The Fenix L2T V2.0 might be good for this.

I'd pick 2AA because they might run alkaline batteries in the light. Having 2 AAs means the batteries won't be abused as much.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
^^^ Agreed. I have the Romisen RC-N3 but have it configured with the single CR123A battery. It's nice and compact and plenty bright. Of course, you can go with a Q5 RC-N3 (50% brighter) from Shiningbeam.com

lukus

Enlightened
My newest, most favorite light is the Photon Proton Pro (say that 5 times!) Photon is most known for their photon keychain lights. However, it is a side clicky. The reason it's my favorite AA light is the user interface. It is, without a doubt, the most friendly, most intuitive UI I've seen. They can be found for about $50 on ebay.

paintballdad

Enlightened
+1 on the Lumapower LM31, 2 output levels for under $30 or how about an Inova X1. Nice build, lifetime warranty and you can find them for about $15.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont own one, but I hear nothing but good thigns about the lm31 too.

Bonky

Banned
I'd forget the 2-mode and stick with a 1-mode, since everybody I've ever given flashlights to tends to prefer simplicity.

----------> Romisen G2

gravityz

Enlightened
i am buying the ultrafire Q3 6 mode version
it is a gift for a nine year old and i think he will like the strobe and police strobe on it also

basically for a non flashaholic the light needs to be easy to operate
i choose this one because it starts of in low but has memory mode so whatever mode the person likes they can stick to it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look for a light that does better then others at handling alkalines unless you wish to buy the recipient some AA rechargeables and a charger as well. Despite the simplicity a lot of people (non-flashaholics) just don't want to deal with rechargeables. And forget about CR123 lights unless you constantly want to be the ones to supply them with the batteries. I could never get my family members to buy them on their own.

So maybe if people have suggestions for lights that do better then others in using alkalines, that might be nice.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
TBH, an Inova X1. It's got a runtime and output level us junkies think is pathetic, but to the average person the output is "amazing". Tint and spill is also great for close-by work, walking out to the car, etc. Lifetime warranty by a USA company too. And at $15 it's a pretty cheap giveaway that you can trust will work out of the box.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $20 stainless steel ultrafire C3 P4 looks very nice as a gift, doesnt look cheap, bright and easy to operate 1 mode clicky.

+1 on the Ultrafire C3, that was my first light and i was so impressed by it. I got the single mode black one with an extension tube that allows me to use it as either a 1 x AA or 2 x AA for longer runtimes and a bit more power.

managed to squeeze in a 14500 into it and that makes it way bright. But running it on 2 x AA energizer primaries is more than enough light to start with.

now they have the 5 or 6 mode Ultrafire C3s and i think they're good gifts for first timers, the reverse clicky is easy to use then just demo once the half click to change modes and they're sold.

(after that, after a few weeks show them better lights with a memory mode e.g. any of the IBS models from Jetbeam are fantastic)