SOS and Strobe Are Driving Me Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I want low, medium and high. I got one of those Ultrafire 5 mode flashlights that scrolls thru the modes but I don't need those functions.

Is there a cure for this or am I stuck with a flashing flashlight? It's the C3-Q5 AA and except for the strobe and SOS, I really like it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You could mod the light. Swap DC drivers, or if its a P60 just replace the entire light module for one without excessive modes.

I don't mind the strobe. I have found it useful at times, getting peoples attention across a large populated area (for example)
Its the SOS that bugs me, that thing drives me CRAZY!!:banghead::hairpull:.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get what you pay for. Cheap lights have cheap UI's.
Every once in awhile you'll find a cheap light that doesn't have the dreaded Chinese 5-mode, but they're few and far between. That's about all I can suggest

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You could mod the light. Swap DC drivers, or if its a P60 just replace the entire light module for one without excessive modes.

I don't mind the strobe. I have found it useful at times, getting peoples attention across a large populated area (for example)
Its the SOS that bugs me, that thing drives me CRAZY!!:banghead::hairpull:.
Who does this kind of mod work, and can they do it on any light?

If so I'd really like to get some custom modding done on a couple of lights.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Who does this kind of mod work, and can they do it on any light?

If so I'd really like to get some custom modding done on a couple of lights.

CPF member Milkyspit. You can customize your light fully, (generally) from a Surefire host.

My current toy: E2 body and tailcap with KX2 head, driver board runs at ~300 lumens (1.3 amps), followed by ~30 lumens, followed by approximately 3 lumens. Always defaults to high. Awesome little light.

You get what you pay for. Cheap lights have cheap UI's.
Every once in awhile you'll find a cheap light that doesn't have the dreaded Chinese 5-mode, but they're few and far between. That's about all I can suggest

I agree he needs to fork out the cash. Novatac, HDS/Ra, Surefire etc.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding a light will cost you far more than the host light is worth unless you're good buddies with someone. Bout the only thing you can do with that ultrafire is practice modding it yourself, kinda like kramer suggests.
You could also simply give it away to someone less picky. Kids love flashlights.

DM51

Flashaholic
There are innumerable other threads on this topic. PhantomPhoton has summed it up well, so I'll close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.