Recommendations for duty light

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Howdy fellas!

So about 18 months ago I spent a good few weeks on here searching for a great all around flashlight and purchased a Fenix L2D...and have impressed many a folk with the power!

I work as security for a nightclub, so obviously a hella bright, durable, robust light is a must have piece of equipment.

Didn't know if anything new had come out in the past 18 months since I have really researched lights.

I'm looking for something:
***most importantly bulletproof, robust, durable, everyday use that won't fail, waterproof (haha, quality is a must).
***I also REALLY like the power variability of the L2D, from 9 lumens to 130. The 9 is great when you're eyes have dark adapted and you need just a little light. So, something that has a good range of power variability.
***The AA batteries are a turn on, I replace them at least weekly, and wouldn't really care to spend the cash for the CR123s...but if there's something 200+lumens thats to die for, I would definitely consider it!
***Has a strobe feature
***Glass lens
***comes with a holster
***that I can everyday (like I do my L2D) on my belt, know it will work and always be there
***Fits nicely into the fist as a pack, and preferably something that sticks out of the fist a little bit (self defense reasons)

I know this really doesn't narrow it down, so I'm looking for some opinions of what's out there, if anything has changed. I don't know much about the dereelights or novatac, not sure if they may be what I'm looking for? I'd like to stay away from mainstream surefire and streamlight, unless they have something relatively new. I peeked on Fenix's website a few months ago and thought they had a 185lumen L2D with a 'special edition' cree LED, any more info on that, or if they are/have stepped that up?

You're experiences are much appreciated!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there is also the L20D which is worth looking at, but why exactly do u want a new light, it sounds like your l2d is still treating you fine. You could definitely get one of the new l2d's but I really don't know if you'd see the mindblowing improvements that you might want. Are there any other features you wish your light had? Maybe you should get a totally different kind of light. I dunno.

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Well, the L2D has all the features I want and use (strobe, 130 lumens, SOS, power variability, easy to find AA). I guess I'm just still in 'aw' at the product, very happy with it, and didn't know in the past 18 months if anything had surpassed or one-upped Fenix's awesome product.

I'm also looking for some of my coworkers. Some are ex-law enforcement and ex-military, and their minds are stuck on the issued surefire lights. Hoping to create some converts!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Well, the L2D has all the features I want and use (strobe, 130 lumens, SOS, power variability, easy to find AA). I guess I'm just still in 'aw' at the product, very happy with it, and didn't know in the past 18 months if anything had surpassed or one-upped Fenix's awesome product.

The current L2D send out more light, but not enough to be worth an upgrade.

Some other nice light are Fenix TK20, NiteCore D10 and D20, Dereelight.

With the current leds all flashlights tops at about 240 lumens from the led and a bit less out the front. The only exception to this rule are light with multiple leds (Lumapower MVP) and lights with P7 leds (The P7 are four leds in one).

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
***Fits nicely into the fist as a pack, and preferably something that sticks out of the fist a little bit (self defense reasons)

This phrase speaks Surefire E2DL. It Takes CR123 cells but with the high and low, batteries should last a while. As far as strobe, you can work clicky to strobe to get someones attention. It has a striker bezel from Hell and the shroud around the tail cap is a good strike tool as well. I think this would be the best light for your intended use.....

shomie911

Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire C2-HA and a Malkoff M60. I can't think of a more bulletproof setup for duty use then that.

***most importantly bulletproof, robust, durable, everyday use that won't fail, waterproof (haha, quality is a must).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST and i love it! Depending on the nature of your work and what you use the light for, it's 3 modes are fully programmable to suit your needs.

For me, i go night fishing a fair bit so here is my set up:-

1. Lowest of the low (so low that my Fenix E01 is brighter) roudhly 2 - 5 lumens

2. Highest of the high (think its rated at 225 lumens)

3. SOS mode, or warning mode.

I also like that its UI allows me to set the brightness of all 3 modes to a level that I find suitable instead of pre-set levels. So if for example, your primary use is to stun troublesome clients in the club, you might want to go with:-

Mode 1: the fastest strobe

Mode 2: Max output

Mode 3: Medium or low as you like.

Give it a try, it's now my favourite EDC, runs on 18650 cells.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well one option I think is to give your l2d as a gift if you want to justify upgrading it to another l2d or a similar 2xAA light. Surefires are great although some ppl like more modes, there is of course the price issue, and all there lights take cr123's which some ppl aren't crazy about(myself for one). If you want another light for yourself, I think you will be most happy getting something a little different. Maybe an LOD or a zebralight, or maybe even something crazy bright like a p7 which won't be quite as compact in all likelihood. Also, maybe one of the nitecore's, something smaller and much more pocketable, but with a ton of versatility. Whatever you decide upon, variety is what it's all about.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The only difference between the "Premium" and normal model is the bin of LED used. The Premium uses a higher and thus more efficient/brighter bin of LED.

The Jetbeam Jet-III Pro IBS (one of the three versions) might be a good choice. Set the output to what you want and get 18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries.

Also look at the Nitecore D20 and Jetbeam Jet-I V2.0 for 2AA lights with variable output.

The Eagletec P10A2 is also another light to look at, so is the Fenix TK20.

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys -

Thanks for you all your help. After reviewing the suggestions, these are my thoughts...

The surefire would be great for my purpose, but I'm looking for something a big more well rounded (more variability in outputs and brighter, 150+)

The jet beam I pro EX 2.0 looks saweet arse, 200 lumens from AAs...i LIKE! but again, not enough variability, nor strobe or SOS

The nitecore D20 looks like the best suggested bet. 180 lumens, and infinite variability. Can anyone who has this light explain how the varying works? just a bezel twist I'm assuming, but not sure. Does this have strobe or SOS?

The D20 compares very similarly to the Fenix LD20 with the premium Q5 cree. 180 lumens again, SOS and Strobe, and I know I can trust a Fenix. Between these two, I would need to know more about the nitecore before deciding. help?

THEN, i was just cruising 4sevens, and stumbled on the Olight T25. holy goodness, this is probably going to be my next photon cannon. Does anyone know the reliability of this thing? It comes with a holster, clip, lanyard...everything I need and use. 10 lumens shy of the jetbeam jet1 pro ex2.0, but with plenty of variability and safety features. Can someone please tell me more about this light!?

thanks guys!

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say Novatac with an RPM crenulated bezel, until I thought of the output :( But for all your other prerequisites, it's just about ideal.
I'm looking for something:
***most importantly bulletproof, robust, durable, everyday use that won't fail, waterproof (haha, quality is a must). CHECK
***I also REALLY like the power variability of the L2D, from 9 lumens to 130. The 9 is great when you're eyes have dark adapted and you need just a little light. So, something that has a good range of power variability. CHECK
***The AA batteries are a turn on, I replace them at least weekly, and wouldn't really care to spend the cash for the CR123s...but if there's something 200+lumens thats to die for, I would definitely consider it! BATTERYJUNCTION.COM FOR CHEAP GOOD CR123s
***Has a strobe feature CHECK
***Glass lens (??)
***comes with a holster NO, BUT COMES WITH NICE CLIP
***that I can everyday (like I do my L2D) on my belt, know it will work and always be there CHECK
***Fits nicely into the fist as a pack, and preferably something that sticks out of the fist a little bit (self defense reasons) CHECK! CHECK! CHECK!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I humbly suggest the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. I just got one and it seems suitable for your needs. It has 3 modes each of which are programmable, its a forward clicky, so u press in slightly to cycle from mode to mode and full click when u are in the mode that u want.

So you can set your modes to something like this:-

1st click - low (and i mean really low, my E01 is brighter than the Jetbeam on absolute minimum)

click off

2nd click - max (225 lumens)

click off

3rd click - strobe (no idea how fast it is, sorry)

it runs on a 18650 battery and is just slightly shorter than a 2 x AA light so i could probably still be used as an self defence tool if necessary (though i think a 2 x AA cell light is better suited for kubaton)

There is a good review here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208280

HKJ

Flashaholic
The jet beam I pro EX 2.0 looks saweet arse, 200 lumens from AAs...i LIKE! but again, not enough variability, nor strobe or SOS

That sounds wrong, JetBeam usual has an UI that called IBS, this includes 3 slots, where each slot can be programmed to any light level (in more than 100 steps) or a couple of different strobes and sos.

glistam

Newly Enlightened
THEN, i was just cruising 4sevens, and stumbled on the Olight T25. holy goodness, this is probably going to be my next photon cannon. Does anyone know the reliability of this thing? It comes with a holster, clip, lanyard...everything I need and use. 10 lumens shy of the jetbeam jet1 pro ex2.0, but with plenty of variability and safety features. Can someone please tell me more about this light!?

Hi, that happens to be the one I have: The Olight T25 (Tactical variant)

It is, to my knowledge, one of the brightest hotspots from AA I have ever seen. It is very powerful on full. The spill is pretty clean too, and reasonably bright.

The Tactical functions differently than the T25 Regular, and is pretty simple: You turn it on, and then twist the bezel one way, then back to change modes. It goes Low>Medium>High>Strobe>SOS. (Strobe is at the highest brightness, while SOS is low) The bezel has good grips on it and turns very smoothly, even if you are using one hand. It remembers what mode when turned off. The tail switch is solely for on/off.

The switch is momentary at half-press (very responsive, I can give really quick little blinks if I want) and clicks on at full press. The switch is also rubber, and protrudes slightly. I prefer it this way, as the recessed button on other models has caused me to fumble for the button in the dark. It also lets you hold it like a cigar and press the switch with your first metacarpal (err...palm-side thumb knuckle...thing). It is a two-AA light, and so sticks out of my closed fist about two inches.

The clip is removable, and the included holster will hold the light head-down if you want without getting stuck. I don't like the lanyard much, as the ring fits a little loose, but I can see how some might like to carry it that way.

I can't say how tough it is as I have yet to subject it to serious abuse. But it's a solid metal housing that seems like it could take getting knocked around, and to my knowledge it's watertight.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

testosterone

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry a Gladius inside the club I work at. I would try to signal the other guys with the strobe but they wouldn't really notice because of all of the clubs light show going on (numerous strobes and lasers and what not). I simply switched over to my Fenix T1 and they always noticed that. Now I carry my EX10 and its more then enough. Using a light as a weapon where I work isn't an option, easy way to get fired.