Smooth -VS- OP, Reflective efficiency?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... Has anyone done a detailed comparison between OP and smooth reflector finishes? I am looking for Lux/Lumen measured comparisons, as well as outdoor beamshots.

thanks

artec540

Enlightened
Curious... Has anyone done a detailed comparison between OP and smooth reflector finishes? I am looking for Lux/Lumen measured comparisons, as well as outdoor beamshots.

thanks
I'm a comparative newcomer here and certainly I've never seen one........ but from what I've seen, there's a good deal of variation among OP reflectors' finishes. Some are a lot more wrinkly than others. And I think there's some variation among smooth finishes, too, though obviously much less. If you're after a quantitative comparison wouldn't it have to be limited to that particular OP reflector? Or maybe you could count on a given manufacturer always using the same process and therefore getting the same results.....
What do you think?

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: color/tint variation?

I've merged your 2 threads - they were quite similar. If you want to ask a new question or change the emphasis of a thread, you can change its title (you do this by editing it in post #1).

Patriot

Flashaholic

thanks

I think the difference in overall output is negligible since I can't see any change with my eye and no difference is registered in my camera light meter.

Regarding tint, I've really never seen any difference that I can remember. The color seems to be identical right out to the edge of the spill.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
All things equal, the smooth reflector will technically be "more efficient."

In reality, it depends how you want your subject illuminated. If an OP reflector provides more useful light for the task, then it's more efficient.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like if there is an aggressive OP, more light will get reflected back towards the lamp and not go out the front of the light. The sprayed on OP will probably cut back on the reflectivity, too.

How many different methods for creating an OP reflector are there? I don't imagine there's an OP mold out there stamping them from melted aluminum.

I would like to see this sort of information. :popcorn:

artec540

Enlightened
All things equal, the smooth reflector will technically be "more efficient."

In reality, it depends how you want your subject illuminated. If an OP reflector provides more useful light for the task, then it's more efficient.

I think this would be true if you changed the last word to "effective".

"Efficient" is normally used to compare the ratios or percentages of output to input. One engine is more efficient if more of its fuel is delivered as useful work and less as heat, noise, distortion etc.

In comparing reflectors, I suppose one would be comparing the actual light output of one reflector against another from the same light source. I don't think "efficient" takes the purpose or the usefulness into account.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this would be true if you changed the last word to "effective".

"Efficient" is normally used to compare the ratios or percentages of output to input. One engine is more efficient if more of its fuel is delivered as useful work and less as heat, noise, distortion etc.

In comparing reflectors, I suppose one would be comparing the actual light output of one reflector against another from the same light source. I don't think "efficient" takes the purpose or the usefulness into account.

There is an efficiency equation that could be used in the strictest sense, but from the common terminology used in the english language, it would be appropriate to say a light which provides a more useful beam is more efficient, even at the same lumens.

For instance, if your goal is to light up a house, and you send a high-powered laser beam at it, was that efficient?

Consider that the dictionary does assign usefulness to efficiency...

1.performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort; having and using requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; competent; capable: a reliable, efficient secretary.

2.satisfactory and economical to use: Our new air conditioner is more efficient than our old one.

3.producing an effect, as a cause; causative.

4.utilizing a particular commodity or product with maximum efficiency (usually used in combination): a fuel-efficient engine.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small test...follow the link in my sig and search the file for the smooth and Op reflector measuremnts of the DX1447 module

These days I have both smooth and OP reflectors for my modules and if it was not that time comsuming I would already made measurements of the Derrelight 3SM2 module with both reflectors and 2or3 batts

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have a small test...follow the link in my sig and search the file for the smooth and Op reflector measuremnts of the DX1447 module

These days I have both smooth and OP reflectors for my modules and if it was not that time comsuming I would already made measurements of the Derrelight 3SM2 module with both reflectors and 2or3 batts

Cool thanks...
So the Lux value increased with the Smooth reflector. Do you think overall Lumen value increased too?

:thumbsup: