keychain flashlight

fenix-rules

Newly Enlightened
i need advice on a keychain flashlight i want brightness,durability,and long battery life. any type of batteries preferably cr123's or AA. Keep in mind im only 16 and dont have much money to spend on an expensive flashlight keep it under 70 bucks:confused:

Marduke

Flashaholic
For your namesake, the P1D Q5 and LOD Q4 are worth a look.

The Leatherman Serac S2 may be another to keep an eye on.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Fenix L0D is a great choice. At 16, I sure wouldn't want to waste my money on expensive CR123 batteries if I could just recharge a AAA or grab one out of the family junk drawer.

And if you truly want to shock your friends, load it up with a rechargeable 10440 lithium battery (just be careful and learn how to handle these batteries)

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
Get an Arc AAA 5.5 lumen $30.00. I have that one on my keychain and i love it. Its the smallest most reliable light you can get without going to button cell lights.
Or if you need a little more light just get the 10.5 lumen version $50.00 same size. They both last 5 hours on a single AAA battery and will light up a small area just fine. :thumbsup:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the Fenix EO1 at 15 dollars and runs about 11 hours full power and 10 hours at a slowly dimming rate on 1 AAA.

kts

Enlightened
Get an Arc AAA 5.5 lumen $30.00. I have that one on my keychain and i love it. Its the smallest most reliable light you can get without going to button cell lights.
Or if you need a little more light just get the 10.5 lumen version $50.00 same size. They both last 5 hours on a single AAA battery and will light up a small area just fine. :thumbsup:

But for the same price he can buy a L0D, brighter and better in every way :ironic:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
But for the same price he can buy a L0D, brighter and better in every way :ironic:

Oh dear. You said better. And then put the ":ironic:" smiley afterwards :green:

Unleash the arc fans!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Believe it or not, this post has a serious point. Mainly, that it's impossible to say that one light is "better" than another. The arc has no PWM, for example, which makes it the better :)naughty:) choice for people that are sensitive to it. It also has a longer history of working than the L0D, so someone looking for ultimate reliability could justifiably think it's the "better" choice for them, even though you think that the L0D is the better light. Personally, I prefer the L0D to the arc. I wouldn't say it's better, however. Better suited to my needs, yes. Better? No.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm deep in research mode about a better keychain EDC light. Currently using a fauxton which has never failed me and is practically weightless. But, I feel that there are times when I want more power and, overall, I do want more reliability.

I picked up the Fenix E01 which is a gorgeous light, well-built and a nice compact size, but it just wasn't bright enough for me.

Now I'm looking into more $$$ lights (ugh... CPF!) and am thinking about the Lummi Wee. Neat thread on it here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209089

I'm just putting this here because it seems like this light (and the Drake) are not mentioned in this thread and are worth considering, even though they are wicked pricey compared to the lights the thread has talked about so far. I think that, while expensive, for your EDC that will hopefully last years, it's not necessarily a bad investment.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
Oh dear. You said better. And then put the ":ironic:" smiley afterwards :green:

Unleash the arc fans!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Believe it or not, this post has a serious point. Mainly, that it's impossible to say that one light is "better" than another. The arc has no PWM, for example, which makes it the better :)naughty:) choice for people that are sensitive to it. It also has a longer history of working than the L0D, so someone looking for ultimate reliability could justifiably think it's the "better" choice for them, even though you think that the L0D is the better light. Personally, I prefer the L0D to the arc. I wouldn't say it's better, however. Better suited to my needs, yes. Better? No.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strangely this post makes sense. :huh: It's only the "best" if it works for you !

That said I just picked up a Streamlight Microstream with one aaa and a clickie switch. It has an advetised output of 20 lumens for 1.5 hrs.
I really like it! Its also a thrower and it is quite bright. It blows away my arc aaa.

It can live in your pants pocket or a shirt pocket (mine) with out being noticed, it's so small and light.
Now if someone could come up with a two stage 5/40 lumen aaa it would be the perfect pocket/keychain light ! :)
Edit:
.....and not cost over $40.00-50.00

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would have fun with a Fenix LOD Q4. The Liteflux LF2 is a wonderful light, but it has a complicated user interface. If you don't mind sitting down and studing the directions and practicing them it's a great light with a lot of options.

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
Most of the suggestions here are more appropriate as pocket lights than as keychain lights, per se.

Normally I'd suggest fauxtons and Photon Micro lights (if you want the ability to change modes) as actual keychain lights (or some other button cell... Streamlight Nano?), because even a AAA light adds weight to a keychain that can eventually damage your ignition. But as you're 16, I'm guessing the keychain doesn't spend much time in a vehicle ignition yet?

Is the keychain belt carry or pocket carry?

If pocket carry, AAs and even CR123s can be pretty bulky--thus fauxtons and Photon Micro lights seem the better choice there. I tend to carry a fauxton on my keys, in my pocket, and a Fenix E01 in the opposite pocket so the finish won't get scratched. If I need more than that, I add a Fenix L1D in the original Fenix holster (sometimes pocket, sometimes belt carry). All three together cost me around $70 but you can get a Combo special on the L1D and E01 now for the original price of the L1D--$56.50. The Photon/fauxtons you can get for anywhere from $13 to free, depending.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Personally, I really like Peak Led Solutions for the price point and simple style. I am sure that the Fenix models are very nice as well but what I have found to be the most important issue is that a Key chain/EDC light should/must be easily attached to a key chain so it is much more likely to be on your person at least for my usage. So many nice lights that I see in the relevant size range are insufficent and or difficult to attatch to a keychain. I don't mind a larger light if it easily attatches and would choose a larger size over a smaller multifunction light that has a poor connection to a keychain.

Peaks that I like;
Shasta: at least 3led version high or low power, has a N battery May be difficult/expensive to find but you can get an AAA body if you don't like the N configuration. Beautifully proportioned size and shape, it's a meatty little Kc light good for close range lower output.
McKinely: 7Led high or low, Cr123A battery beautiful smooth beam. Much brighter than the Shasta.
Look at a Carribean, Mediterranian, Atlantic, or any of their ocean models that have a Cr123A option, very bright and they are 50% off for their luxeon models so they would work in your price range and they are plenty bright.

Peaks are US made as well and while I won't turn my nose up at a foriegn produced light, many of them are quite beautiful and very well made, it is nice to find something that is still made in our country.

Keep pokin around, ask questions, look at beamshots and take a little time, because once you enter the rabbit hole, you will find out how deep it really is and you can soon get consumed and overwhelmed with the choices.

Most importantly, what do you want in relation to:
1.Beam quality, spot, flood, or mixed?
2.Output, upclose low output, or medium long range higher power, or one multi power level light for both options.
3.Two affordable lights, one very small , and one larger, each for a different purpose.:twothumbs
4.Switching, pushbutton/clickie vs twisty.

Arc lights are nice as well but I prefer more than one led in that size range although from what I understand they are pretty bright and quite stylish, looking at adding one someday. Photons are a nice little addition/backup as well and even though it is a little dated but no less useful, check out a Nuwai QIII from Battery Junction for 19$ or so. A little bulky, and you will need to add a very very small split ring to the pocket clip but a pretty impressive little light and each time that I have ordered from them, I was pleasantly suprised to find a bonus coin cell light in my package.

Hopefully this has helped and not confused your choices.

ugrey

Enlightened
If I was 16 again and had up to $70 to spend, I would get a Fenix EO1 at $15 shipped for my key chain, and spend the rest of the money on a SureFire G2. Save up for 123 batteries and an LED drop in for the G2 later. If you already have a good small bright light like the G2 and want to spend up to $70 for your key chain, get a Fenix LOD. They cant be beat. Much brighter than an ARC AAA and much more useful with all the modes. Trust me, I own all of the above lights.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I agree with the Fenix LOD recommendation. I'm pretty new to the flashlight scene and I just purchased an LOD with the Rebel 80 LED. I prefer the warmer tint that it provides and now that I have this light I can't see myself without it. In addition I would suggest purchasing the lobster claw key ring clip because it makes it very easy to remove and replace the flashlight onto your key ring. I purchased mine at Eliteled.com