Asteroid will hit earth tonight!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang i was hopeing it was the end of the world got a dr appt in the am i rather not go to

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one once in San Diego that lit up everything almost like daylight for about a half second. Seriously bright. Just happened to be looking right at it. Went pretty fast.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The brightest one I ever saw was while in my back yard taking a pee. It was late and there were friends over to watch live Formula One racing on Speed. Anyhow I just happened to be looking up when a bright ball of fire burned for about 3 full seconds and it lit up the yard and my face. I've seen other ones since but never for the duration or intensity of that one. It was a treat to see.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Here are my notes, from 5 years ago . . . .

Meteorite struck Illinois (South Suburban Chicago... Park Forest ?) just before Midnight on Wednesday, March 26, 2003.

I was sitting in my chair watching television (videotape) with the North curtain open.
All at once i noticed that it was "daylight" outside ! Caught me by surprise,
but before i could think about it anymore, there was a brilliant flash of light
(*much* brighter than the "daylight" i first noticed!).

Followed a few seconds later by a distant but distinct rumbling.
So therefore i mistakenly took it to be simply lightning and thunder.

It wasn't until the noon news (next day) that i discovered what it was, and what really happened.

They surmise the object was originally the size of a Volkswagen Beetle,
and then broke into hundreds of fragments
when it encountered our atmosphere.

Some fragments actually struck houses, but nobody was injured.

Very interesting !

- end of my notes -

Gee, with all of the Advanced Notice,
it would be Really Exciting to view this thing. :cool:

Too bad it's not for my area. :(

But, hey . . . .

Just in case, i'm gonna' wear my Hard Hat.

:tinfoil:
_

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The brightest one I ever saw was while in my back yard taking a pee. It was late and there were friends over to watch live Formula One racing on Speed. Anyhow I just happened to be looking up when a bright ball of fire burned for about 3 full seconds and it lit up the yard and my face. I've seen other ones since but never for the duration or intensity of that one. It was a treat to see.
When I was a kid my brothers and I were out in the side yard in our sleeping bags when all of a sudden everything got really bright and we quickly pretended to be asleep since it was obvious our dad had turned on the kitchen light.... then it got dark again after only a few seconds and it wasn't until the next day we found out it was a meteor!

Once in a lifetime to see one so bright, but it's a memory that always makes me smile! :grin2:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
any asteroid lighting up the sky is worth the look. :)

I was fortunate enough to witness some big colorful meteors a few years back in a meteor shower. Beautiful stunning colours.