Batteries for the Space Needle II?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have their top choices for the type or brand of batteries for the Spaceneedle II? Since you guys have good opinions about batteries I thought I would ask. This would be a C battery, Akaline or utlra?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SN2 use 3 123 type batteries, is it not?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, I believe your right,I'm waiting for my Spaceneedle II and that's great, I've got a ton of 123's. I guess we can shelve this topic,ha, ha ,ha

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
what kind of 123 that you have the most anyway?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hmm...a dead thread!

does this mean we can enter pointless ramblings?

twa-la-da-doo-da

man...space needles are bright huh?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Wayne J comes out with his 3toD adapters, there'll be another choice for powering the SN/II...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit:Caveat: you gotta regut the SN/II and stick it into a 2D body first... Sorry...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Falcon, the 3 to D adapter fits into D size light while (i think) the SN2 using 123 battery made to fit into a C size tube, right?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep... However, I'm probably going to transplant my SN into a D body instead... Gives me a few more options. Wayne J also had a 6AA batt holder that I can also use for powering the Space Needle in a 2D body... Sorry about not making that caveat clearer beforehand...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the luxeon was epoxy-ed into the body of the flashlight, is it not?
If it can transplanted into D cell light, then running SN is very economical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
great idea

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get it out... I had one of Charlie's old 3D Mag SE mods, and had to gut it, through epoxy and all, to fix it up...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, you have been a faithful "alumni" (as Charlie put it out) of Mr. Bulk creation. Btw, If you are using 3D cell and 3 to D adapter, then aren't you too overdriving the led? I think the led was already over driven when driven by 3 123s. If you drive it using 3 of 3 to D adapter (1.2V * 3 * 3), then i think that will kill your SE.
Oh, did you have the newer SN? if yes, which beam shot is better between the two? not the brightness but the beam pattern.

thanks and cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
No no.. I'm going to put the guts of the Space Needle into a 2D body... I was only saying I gutted Charlie's 3D SE Mod and had to pry through the epoxy to do it (as an example of also needing to break through the epoxy of the SN)...

The LS would instantly fry with 13.5V, unless, of course, I decided to put a PowerPuck in there... But then, I won't have the kickarse direct-drive brightness...

BTW, I had the first generation Space Needle, the U3U based... I didn't jump on in time for the W2... Wished I would've, though... From all I've read, the W2's brighter...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
It is late here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yea, I also wish I jumped into the W2 run. However, at the time (and still is), money is at premium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
a bit off topic but....I just went to use my SNII today and when I turned it on, I was like wtf...it's not very bright, so I turn it around and I can stare directly into the led without squinting. I must have only 10min total on the set of surefires and the last time I used it about a week ago it was damn bright. so my question now is has any one else experianced this? The thought crossed my mind that maybe there was a small amount of current being drawn continuously and draining the batteries maybe the switch has gone bad or something. Any ideas? anyone else had a mag switch go bad and cause a slow discharge of the batteries.