What all can be done to an E2L Outdoorsman?

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I love lights just as much as the next person, but I admit I just can't keep up with this industry. I bought a few I liked a while back and stopped reading about them. My bank account thanked me.

Anyway, I got the bug again and wanted a good Surefire LED. I know there are others that are smaller, lighter, brighter, whatever, but I love Surefires ruggedness and the fist size is best.

I did my research and ended up with an E2L. I think it will work great for me.

However, the flashaholic in me is curious. What all is available for these lights? Bezels, bodies, tail caps, mods, etc. I would most be interested in different cell bodies (maybe a 3x 123) to increase brightness or run time. I would also like to squeeze as much throw out of this beam as possible.

Hi my name is Tom and I am back to being a flashaholic.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy, you're going to have fun.

First off, did you get the latest version of the E2L? The one with the two output levels? I'm just checking. As far as mods go, you can pretty much do anything you want to that light if you have the cash. It all depends on what you want from the light? Brighter? Dimmer? Incandescent? Different beam pattern? 5 output levels? As it is now, going up to three cells won't increase brightness, only runtime. You can have a three cell body by buying a one cell E series extender from JSburley's.

litetube

Enlightened
yeah but that is where things get complicated with SF. Can the E2l run on 3 CR123s? That would be 9volts. I know older versions had more range/flexiblity in voltage but the newer models seem more restricitve.
I guess you could get an incan Executive head? Another option, like mentioned if you had the extra cash is to send it to a modder like MilkySpit. He does great unique custom work but it can cost more than the light itself, but WOW it is amazing what he can do!!
I have found for the most part , buy a SF for what it is if that is all you can afford (like me:eek:). They are good ,tough as nails lights that hold their value pretty well .
There used to be adapters to change the executive head to a 6P or C2 style head and now there are drop ins for those size heads but once again big time $ will be needed

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
Oh boy, you're going to have fun.

First off, did you get the latest version of the E2L? The one with the two output levels? I'm just checking. As far as mods go, you can pretty much do anything you want to that light if you have the cash. It all depends on what you want from the light? Brighter? Dimmer? Incandescent? Different beam pattern? 5 output levels? As it is now, going up to three cells won't increase brightness, only runtime. You can have a three cell body by buying a one cell E series extender from JSburley's.

Good info thanks. I did make sure to get the newest version. I believe it is 65/3 lumens. I know I could have gotten a brighter light (like the L1), but runtime was terrible. I like the 65 lumens for 11 hours.

I have little desire for an incan head. More modes would be nice, and maybe an extra cell if the light can take it and if it increases run time by a good amount.

I've got a reserve police gig I'm tieing up the ends on, and this would be a duty light (see how I rationalize my purchases? ;)). I don't want to mess with it too much because reliability needs to be the most important.

Just wondering what's out there. For the extra modes, is that a different tail cap? Who offers those?

Thanks guys!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info thanks. I did make sure to get the newest version. I believe it is 65/3 lumens. I know I could have gotten a brighter light (like the L1), but runtime was terrible. I like the 65 lumens for 11 hours.

The two-stage E2L will provide about 80 lumens for 6 hours in regulation, followed by a few hours of much lower output afterwards. Unfortunately, Surefire's runtime ratings are confusing and inconsistent.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe send it to Milkyspit and have it "optimized" for a higher high.
He can do wonders with the E-series lights....actually any light.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tweak the stock driver on my E2L and replace the stock optic with McR19 and now i have the P4 led receiving 1.1A from the driver and producing at least 200lumens.

Just curious... whats the runtime on that? :thinking:

superflytnt

Enlightened
i tweak the stock driver on my E2L and replace the stock optic with McR19 and now i have the P4 led receiving 1.1A from the driver and producing at least 200lumens.

LOL, that's helpful. Do you mean an SSC P4? I thought the E2L uses a Cree. Also, how does one go about "tweaking" a driver?

FredM

Enlightened
Did the first single mode KX2 have a longer runtime?

I know it was not as bright but didn't it run for 9 hours in regulation?

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
K I got the light in today and it seems to be the newest version.

I really like the light so far except that the beam has very distinct rings in it. Is this common with the E2L? I'll try to get some pics up later.

It isn't a huge deal, but for $125 I want it to be right.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
my E2L is using the old emitter which is Cree P4 not Q5 but the brightness with 2xcr123 is unbelievable :)
i'm not sure about the runtime because i don't measure it.
the tweaking is a bit tricky.

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
I really like the light so far except that the beam has very distinct rings in it. Is this common with the E2L? I'll try to get some pics up later.

Any input here? Do your E2L's have rings in the beam?

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
I got lucky, the whitest light I've ever seen and a perfect beam. My E2L 45 lumen single stage light is perfect no complaints:thumbsup::thumbsup:

now my E2L 3/60 $#!t the bed, its pretty green :eek:

I would never give up that 45 lumen E2L, a way under-rated light