Fenix P1D and P1D-CE

IlikeLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just discovered the above light(s).

70-55 lumens for something the size of Streamligh pocketmate.....but priceier than a standard scorpain or G2.....

Just wanted some thoughts

Has anyone used it?

What are people's views?

Typical throw vs runtime opinions etc.

Worth investing in?

I haven't really heard of the company and from what i can make out, its a chinese company.

Let me know what you think ladies and gents.

Cheers

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

These are very good lights as I'm sure you can verify with a quick search.
You will find a wealth of info on these and other Fenix lights all over this and other torch forums. I'd say about a fifth of all discussions mention them.

For myself, I have at least one of nearly every light they do, and that's a lot of lights. None have failed in action. They are a bit like chips...you know they are bad for you...but you reach out for another all the same!

They are well made and well designed. Also this company is quick to utilize the latest LED emitters and also to respond to its customers and even this forum.

If you buy one you will not be sorry. Check out the entire range first to find your niche light.

I admire your restraint with posting, over the years.

Be lucky...

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1Ds (Luxeon LED) are no longer made I believe. They came out the same time as the Cree Edition (CE) and, of course, everybody bought the Crees. There are still some around that dealers hold.

All Fenixes have good runtime, one of their attributes.

kts

Enlightened
70-55 lumens for something the size of Streamligh pocketmate

That was years ago, the P1D is rated at 180 lumens....

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
Double post..Forum lockup...must be the slowest server around:duh2:

crocodilo

Enlightened
The Q5 version of the P1D is the one that claims the 180 lumens, and trust me, it is a true pocket rocket. For a few dollars and milimeters more you can get a Leef body and switch, and convert it to a fantastic clicky.

Another great light is the single mode P1CE, 90 lumens on a single 123 for 1:30, perfect beam, slightly smaller than the P1D. This model replaced the older Lux III P1.

Two great lights, no doubt about it. Small, history of reliablity, great performance and reasonable price. Whenever I reach for these I have to ask myself if I really need the big Surefires...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi,

Just discovered the above light(s).

70-55 lumens for something the size of Streamligh pocketmate.....but priceier than a standard scorpain or G2.....

Just wanted some thoughts

Has anyone used it?

What are people's views?

Typical throw vs runtime opinions etc.

Worth investing in?

I haven't really heard of the company and from what i can make out, its a chinese company.

Let me know what you think ladies and gents.

Cheers

Haven't heard of the company?? Wow, you must have ignored CPF entirely for over 2 years.

The current versions is 180 lumens and comes in black or olive. It's more floody than the other lights you mention.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=354
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=400

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Fenix P1DCE is a legendary flashlight, pretty much anyone here who cares about single 123-cell powered lights has at least one (I have two). It's a good place to start if you'd like to get into high-output LED pocket/"EDC" lights.

Here is a review I wrote about the P1DCE way back in April of last year:

For the past couple of decades, the only real name in pocket flashlights was Maglite's MiniMag. Used by police and professionals alike, even honored with design awards, the MiniMag pretty much ran the show since it's introduction in 1984. Sure, the light output was just decent, and the "beam focus" feature was a gimmick no one really used, but for a well-engineered flashlight, it couldn't be beat. Until now.

It's the classic David vs Goliath tale - the Fenix P1D-CE is small even on a small flashlight scale, keyring small, silly small; picture a cylinder roughly half the height of an aluminum soda can with the diameter of a nickel: that's the kind of small we're talking about here. It doesn't even look real; the size combined with the perfectly smooth and exquisitely faceted exterior gives the impression that this is perhaps a 1/2 scale mock up of an actual flashlight.

The disbelief continues as you remove the Fenix from it's slightly-larger-than-a-cigarette-pack box. The P1D-CE without a battery weighs in at 27 grams, or the weight of 27 paper clips. More precisely, that's less mass than an iPod Nano. That's *less than one ounce*. But the feel is without question the cold and unyielding touch of heavy-gauge Type III aluminum, and the lens is not just actual glass, but perfectly flat and coated optics-grade glass. The size might not be serious, but the engineering certainly is.

Yet all the dimensional absurdity is just the prelude to the light itself - this is where the real ridiculousness begins: The light is phosphor-white (similar to an HID car headlight in color), but plainly speaking, there is more of it than is physically possible from an object this size. It would make more sense if someone were standing behind you with a spotlight, or perhaps if the Fenix were nuclear-powered. The P1D-CE produces *more than twice the total light output of a 4 D cell full-size MagLite*. Point the Fenix at the ceiling of an unlit room and the area is lit with more ambient light than a 15 watt light bulb. License plates and street signs hundreds of feet away blaze to life in the night. Shine it in your eyes and you're legally blind for the next twenty seconds. That is of course, unless you turn it down...

As if the Fenix engineers weren't content with an alien-technology light source, the P1D-CE also includes "modes" which give you a range of lighting options. You probably don't always want to walk around with the flashlight blazing full-tilt, so there are low, medium, and high settings. Twisting the head of the flashlight turns it on, and twisting it off and on again moves it into the next mode. There's also "strobe" mode, which flicks the light on and off quickly for a stroboscopic effect, and SOS, allowing you to send an emergency signal automatically without further touching the flashlight at all.

And all of this is powered by - (drum roll) - one battery. No fumbling with giant family packs of box store batteries just to get some light, a single 123A lithium battery (sold overpriced at your local store in the "photo batteries" section, find them online at less than $2 each) powers everything. Battery life varies wildly between the modes - low mode will net you over 10 hours, while high can suck the cell dry in less than an hour. But the key here is "intelligent" circuitry; Unlike flashlights of old, where you could determine battery life by how bright the light was, Fenix employs a power regulator circuit - no more slowly fading light over time, leaving you to wonder if the flashlight is really as bright as it could be; the P1D-CE is just as bright as when the batteries were first installed for nearly all of the total runtime. That means that on the low setting, the ninth hour and beyond is just as bright as the first few minutes. And since it's a lithium battery, months of shelf time doesn't make a difference.

So what is Fenix's secret? It all comes down to LED technology, and the Durham, North Carolina-made Cree LED in the P1D-CE is a fine example. Just as you can buy an LED light bulb for your house which uses less than a tenth of the energy of an incandescent bulb, the same concept works just as well with flashlights, and people are starting to notice - these super-small, super-efficient LED flashlights are all the rage nowadays; Police departments are actually doing away with the old full-size Maglite and replacing them with newer and better mini LED lights, of which the P1D-CE is by a large margin the brightest and most versatile. You're only $70 away from dumping your vintage incandescent antique and joining them. Five tiny but beaming stars for Fenix's remarkable introduction to 21st century lighting technology.

(Addendum: What about the new LED MiniMag? Maglite's new LED series of MiniMags have less than half the light output of the Fenix, and their "energy management" circuit doesn't quite live up to it's name, so the light gradually dims over time like most other flashlights. LED MiniMags are also larger and heavier than the incandescent originals, still use a plastic lens prone to scuffing, and still use Type II aluminum that collects nicks and scratches over time. Powered by regular AA cells [and with no brightness options], battery life is at most four hours until completely dead, plus there's no polarity protection; should you accidentally place the batteries in backwards, the light will be destroyed. The LED MiniMag is a definite improvement over the original, but not quite on par with the Fenix.)

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
StarHalo I must say that that review is dead on. I received my P1DCE in the mail about a month ago and it never ceases to amaze me. I hooked it onto my keys and light up any and everything I can. The throw isnt as good as my 6P, but for the size and price you still cant go wrong. At first, I was a bit skeptical about Fenix since they are a Chinese company and I am an avid Surefire fan, but I must say that this little light of mine is on par with my Surefires. I am pretty new to CPF and the flashlight community but I would highly recommend the P1DCE for a EDC.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outside CPF, most people can only name one brand of flashlight, and it's not Fenix or Surefire.

kavvika

Enlightened
The P1D-CE is a great light, I have two: a P1D-SSC USV0H and a P1D-R2; everyone should have at least one. They're cheap, effficient, but can't run RCR's. And as much as I love the short form factor of the twisty, the Leef body will make mine that much better.

IlikeLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the reply guys.

So what I'm hearing is definitely worth the time and money and is the mother of all 'key ring lights' and lights such as the key mate or any offering from innova are no match and will even kick a## over the mighty ARC AAA.

And for you guys having a chuckle at my naivety… yes I've been 'out of the loop' for CPF and the flashlight world but flashlights and any electronic gadgetry are a part time hobby…. Not an obsession so pardon my ignorance. But at least I provided people with something to laugh about 

There was only 1 post mentioning throw and said something along the lines of not having the same throw as a 6p so I'm assuming its not recommended to have these bad boys on your duty belt as a full tactical light, rather a back up or just a key ring light for civilian/day to day applications.

I suppose all your replies have made the choice easier as I was just about to embark on my next key ring light adventure and it was narrowed down to between an ARC AAA premium or a LRI Photon Freedom but now I know better.

That being said, does it come with any sort of accessories? i.e. a pen clip that you would get with an ARC or a rotating clip/lanyard that you would get with a photon freedom.

Do people usually just buy off the site? How's the service. i.e quick shipping? Reasonably priced shipping? Identity fraud? Lol just kidding… but then again if china could actually put up a site the duped hundreds of thousands of people around the world then you just can't be too careful theses days.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix-Store has the lowest prices including free shipping, and is based in Atlanta Georgia, so your items don't ship from China. The store itself also tacks on an additional unlimited lifetime guarantee to their Fenix products, and they have exceptional service. The owner is even a member here on CPF.

Make sure to get the Q5 version 180 lumen version for the most bang for your buck.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
four sevens is the dealer.
It's here in the states.

My P1D CE (as an L1D CE) is the light my Rex 2.0 and MTE 5 mode Cree WISH they could be!

Intuative to use too!

I think about trying other 1AA lights but don't see how one could be brighter enough or better of beam to top the L1D

Feel the same about other 1x123 lights against it as P1D CE! Don't know what could top it for my needs.

No clip, but you do get a nice lanyard. And a decent holster too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Like everyone has said, the P1D-CE is a good light. It's a multimode twistie with a current gen LED.

Current gen LEDs are twice the efficiency of last gen Luxeons. So same power, but 2x the output.

Flashlightreview's review of the original Luxeon and Cree version.(the current flux bin, Q5 bin, is around 30% brighter)

Fenix-Store/4sevens 8% off coupon is "CPF8".

You might also want to look at the L0D-CE Q4 or Liteflux LF2X for a keychain light. AAA powered so the light is smaller then the P1D-CE.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There was only 1 post mentioning throw and said something along the lines of not having the same throw as a 6p so I'm assuming its not recommended to have these bad boys on your duty belt as a full tactical light, rather a back up or just a key ring light for civilian/day to day applications.

Nearly all Fenix lights have a beam profile that's a great balance of throw and flood - a nice broad hotspot with a wide spill. It's pretty much the ideal general-use beam, great for a walking light for this reason.

If you're looking for a more tactical/throw-geared Fenix, take a look at the T-series. These are quite a lot larger than the P1Ds, but they're the models Fenix intended for tactical use, with overbuilt construction and a tight beam.

If you like the ideal of a small, pocket tactical/throw light, you might take a look at some of the JetBeam models. Their single-cell models can out-throw and -power some other manufacturers' two-cell lights.

I'll also +1 for the recommendation for Fenix-Store.com, they carry all things Fenix (lights and accessories) and offer free international shipping, that's where I've gotten most of my Fenixes :thumbsup:

seestuff

Newly Enlightened
Sweet!
My Parents-In-Law just gave me $50 for my birthday.
I'm now convinced that the P1D CE is the perfect thing to spend it on.

Fenix Digital P1D CE Natural Finish Smooth $46.07 at Fenix-Store.

Done! Happy Birthday to me!