Something a Lot Less Serious

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a1ml6.jpg

Had this "antique" flashlight sitting on my desk waited to be modified. Today i finally, AA'ed an early Cree XR-E (>P2?) to the reshaped metal reflector and connected up a 400ma driver i had lying around.

a2ow3.jpg

The body appears to be worn nickel plated brass. The only markings is on the tailcap and says,"Made in USA". The lens is thin and clear for the era and may not be original. The switch is simple and robust and being the weak link of a flashlight will probably last a long time more.

Anyway, while photographing this light couldn't help but notice this little guy.
beedx3.jpg

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really nice to see, Starfire. I have the exact same light, which belonged to my grandfather. Took me for a trip down memory lane for a minute.

Cool mod. :thumbsup:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, the beamshot mantra of CPF. Use is same as McGizmo mule. So i guess can call this old mule:crackup:
Very cute BUT...............beamshots! beamshots! beamshots! (please).

Three feet away from a white ceiling. Lot of jpg compression trash. Poor shot
antique1cs4.jpg

Illuminated wall from about 8 feet. No hotspot.
antique2sp9.jpg

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded a similar flashlight, and used the stock reflector after polishing it with Flitz. The USVOH Seoul LED is being driven at 500mA with a LED Dynamics SHO driver. For the lens, I trimmed a mineral glass Mag size window to fit (using the diamond saw blade on my tile saw).

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: on your mods. :thanks: for sharing.
Here is thread on some of my CREEed older lights you might appreciate:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/158873

I modded a similar flashlight, and used the stock reflector after polishing it with Flitz. The USVOH Seoul LED is being driven at 500mA with a LED Dynamics SHO driver. For the lens, I trimmed a mineral glass Mag size window to fit (using the diamond saw blade on my tile saw).

The reflector on mine is square and the original beam pattern was strange let alone dim. I wanted a more mule looking beam pattern and even with the tarnished reflector you can still see the "squared" beam. Originally, i was planning to go with a soft white Cree and 500ma converter. Ended up using an older low output i had lying around and 400ma. Thanks for not flaming the irreversible mod as i'm more of a forward compatible vice backward compatible thinker.