I want a new vest light

bagman

Enlightened
I am still searching for a perfect close range light to fit onto my stab vest for writing paperwork, walking in very low light conditions etc.

I started off with a Peli VBIII and then went onto a Pentagon MOLLE light and I've also tried the Zebra light H30.

I need to be able to mount it on the radio loops that sit at about collar bone height on my vest and have the light where I want it. The H30 fell down in this respect as the emmiter ends up pointing almost skywards.

I have looked at pics of the Streamlight Sidewinder but it looks quite big and I really want something black in colour to blend in with the vest material.

It should not be very bright as the light reflects off paperwork (MOLLE light's output is just about perfect)

Any bright ideas? :D

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is it possible you can take photos of your vest, perhaps with the flashlights you've already tried, so we can better understand your requirements?

bagman

Enlightened
Is it possible you can take photos of your vest, perhaps with the flashlights you've already tried, so we can better understand your requirements?

Good idea, I've got a spare vest at home and will try some pics later but no lights

bagman

Enlightened
I think the Zebralight would work if you could mount it horizontally.

I mounted the MOLLE light horizontally on the loops for epaulettes on the top of the vest which worked quite well but I now have a equipment load bearing vest whose straps cover these up.

The zebra light's clip is not long enough to do the same thing though.

bagman

Enlightened
Lets try some pics (very bad ones :rolleyes:)

The mic clip slot is about 55m wide by 25mm high

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova 24/7? (edit: whoops, there's an echo in here)

Or maybe just the head from a headlamp like the Princeton Tec Quad?

bagman

Enlightened
I've just dug out the Inova and the accessory kit but there is no obvious way to mount it easily so it does not stick out too much.

I think I need to figure out an easy way of mounting the H30 horizontally.

Does the H50 have the same length clip as the H30?

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I have a similar vest, with a similar loop in a similar place :)

I use the streamlight keymate. Perfect level for writing notes in the dark.

bagman

Enlightened
I have a similar vest, with a similar loop in a similar place :)

I use the streamlight keymate. Perfect level for writing notes in the dark.

Many many years ago ;) I used my ARC AA in the same way but I want a light that stays pointing the way I want without having to fiddle with it.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many many years ago ;) I used my ARC AA in the same way but I want a light that stays pointing the way I want without having to fiddle with it.
What about putting a big diffuser on a similar light and using it as a hanging lantern? I don't know if you'd get enough light emitting forward, but maybe? The initial runs of the LiteFlux LF2 had screw-on diffusers - less likely to fall off than the more recent models or the Fenix diffusers. I don't care for the LF2, but I like that feature.