Which one of these S.F.'s will be less redundant?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 and L1 are both incoming because I couldn't make up my mind. I figure it'll be more obvious once they get here (then sell the other), but thought I'd bounce it off C.P.F. first. Current E.D.C.'s are a S.F. 6P and a Fenix 1xAA, so either will be a significant upgrade. If I knew I would be using the L1 in high mode anyways, then I'd sacrifice the extra battery, less runtime, and extra 1/2" and heat of the L4. So I basically have to decide whether two stage is worth losing the L4's brightness.

Thoughts? Either one do something more/less I might be overlooking from looking at the beamshot comparisons and runtime graphs?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I long ago discarded the L4 for the A2, then L2 and now the L1.
I find it far more useful with it's two-stage push button pressure switch, and more versatile beam. I also find it easier to grip, and easier to attach a lanyard to.

Ringer

Newly Enlightened
I have both. Other than the output there is huge difference in beam pattern. The L1 has a very tight/throw beam while the L4 is much flood. For extended use the L4 get's really hot.

I don't EDC either one. The L1 is used around the house for not getting blinded and/or waking others up late at night and early mornng when it is really dark. I keep the L4 on the night stand as well in case I need to light up an ....... area.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Size 15's, does your L1 get hot at all?

I'll regret doubling up here when the Invictus finally comes out, so I should really sell one these immediately. But why are there so many posts referencing the L4's "wall of light"? And beamshots? They're not helping me make the practical choice in 2008.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. Other than the output there is huge difference in beam pattern. The L1 has a very tight/throw beam while the L4 is much flood. For extended use the L4 get's really hot.

I don't EDC either one. The L1 is used around the house for not getting blinded and/or waking others up late at night and early mornng when it is really dark. I keep the L4 on the night stand as well in case I need to light up an ....... area.

Thanks for the input Ringer. So no heat problem in the L1? How long did it take your L4 to get hot?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hey Size 15's, does your L1 get hot at all?
Not that I've ever noticed.
Certainly nothing like the L4 or L2.

I'll regret doubling up here when the Invictus finally comes out, so I should really sell one these immediately.
I do not consider SureFire to have any schedule to release the Invictus proto-type. Certainly nothing firm enough to consider making decisions on the back of it.

But why are there so many posts referencing the L4's "wall of light"? And beamshots? They're not helping me make the practical choice in 2008.
You'll see for yourself when you get the two. The L4/L2 are considered 'flood' beams.

Ringer

Newly Enlightened
So no heat problem in the L1? How long did it take your L4 to get hot?

Never had a heat problem with the L1. I don't use my L4 alot for extended periods but it gets hot pretty quickly, like in a matter of minutes.

These two are really quite different. L1 is lower output very tight beam. L4 is high output very wide beam...hence the "wall of light" reference.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I love the size of the KL4. I love the brightness. I love the floody beam. Mine had a great white tint.
I hate the fast heat-up. I hate the donut.

I found my answer by getting a mod done on the KL4. Reason #1 was the fast heat, it was almost like I could hear the Lux V screaming as it cooked to death. If I held onto it from the moment I turned it on within 15 minutes I had to drop the light and shake my flamin' hand. Ow!
Reason #2 was just pure personal preference. I have no other lights with a donut and didn't like it at all, I am just used to the center of the beam being bright!

Now to give you some relevant info...... I am sure when they arrive you will have a use for both of them. A bright floody blast from one and a great utility EDC in the other. Enjoy!

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the size of the KL4. I love the brightness. I love the floody beam. Mine had a great white tint.
I hate the fast heat-up. I hate the donut.

I found my answer by getting a mod done on the KL4. Reason #1 was the fast heat, it was almost like I could hear the Lux V screaming as it cooked to death. If I held onto it from the moment I turned it on within 15 minutes I had to drop the light and shake my flamin' hand. Ow!
Reason #2 was just pure personal preference. I have no other lights with a donut and didn't like it at all, I am just used to the center of the beam being bright!

Now to give you some relevant info...... I am sure when they arrive you will have a use for both of them. A bright floody blast from one and a great utility EDC in the other. Enjoy!

Yeah I've heard about the donut in the L4, but I don't see it in mine. In fact it's the L1 that has some hints of ring segments etc at all, though a nicer tint than this L4 which is a bit purple. So overall I like the L4's brightness and "wall of light" lived up to the hype, but whether enough to give up the L1's available runtime in low mode I.D.K. it's very versatile and efficient.

Anyways, one more incoming, the L5. Will be used as a backpack/notebook light if this one is as impressive as the other two (and I can definitely forget about an invictus now). Watch it come out this week.

B.T.W. Sgt. L.E.D.- just out of curiosity, what mod makes the L4 less hot?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
P4-U2SWOI LED and a new driver.

World of difference in heat but with the same reflector you can still keep the bright spill.

Milky does this mod with his Acorn driver and calls it a Boxter build. :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No donut hole in my L4 either. But I would only recommend it if one needs or wants a pocket-sized light with plenty of flood.

I tend to prefer a light with a more general type of beam. A good compromise between a nice hotspot for throw, and plenty of good sidespill.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah maybe I'll get rid of that one and just get a diffuser for the L1 if I need all that flood. And in case a KL4A or something is just around the corner, since I waited this late to get in on the W.O.L. bandwagon.

Either way, I got the L5 in today and that one's a keeper for sure. Almost as much for the design and smooth fit and finish as for the performace. The bezel looks like a small revolver's cylinder, the square tube is awesome, and it has the nicer font/etching (B.T.W. didn't all S.F.'s used to be like that, instead of larger font just painted on a section with the knurling removed). Anyways this one's so nice I hate not keep it perfect.

The L1 is growing on me more, I like the low beam, getting used to the controls, and especially now that I've seen some beamshots with the F04 on there (B.T.W. how are those things secured on the bezel)?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The filters for the compact lights are friction fit. The ones for the P60 and L5 family are clamp on types.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The filters for the compact lights are friction fit. The ones for the P60 and L5 family are clamp on types.
This is the case for the F04 (F0x Series) for the E-Series bezels.
However, SureFire have begun offering the FM5x Series of 'clamp on' more permanently installed "tip-off" BeamFilters. These are intended for the ScoutLights where a friction-fit F0x Series just doesn't stay attached long term.

Google FM54 for the Beam Diffuser.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah maybe I'll get rid of that one and just get a diffuser for the L1 if I need all that flood. And in case a KL4A or something is just around the corner, since I waited this late to get in on the W.O.L. bandwagon.

Either way, I got the L5 in today and that one's a keeper for sure. Almost as much for the design and smooth fit and finish as for the performace. The bezel looks like a small revolver's cylinder, the square tube is awesome, and it has the nicer font/etching (B.T.W. didn't all S.F.'s used to be like that, instead of larger font just painted on a section with the knurling removed). Anyways this one's so nice I hate not keep it perfect.

The L1 is growing on me more, I like the low beam, getting used to the controls, and especially now that I've seen some beamshots with the F04 on there (B.T.W. how are those things secured on the bezel)?
Did you get the updated version of the L5 (it has the new KL5A Bezel)?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.F.- It does have "KL5A" etched on the bezel.

S.F.'s - No, my "L4 DIGITAL LUMAMAX" is in huge font. It takes up three lines and doesn't even get "surefire" in there (though does on the opposite side), and "L4" takes up a line all by itself. Also, it's not etched on a flat surface not only like the L5 (obviously), but also the entry level 6P, which has a popsicle stick shaped flat etched into it for logos etc.

Thanks Yoda, I think I'll give it a try.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think I'll just sell both the L1 and L4 since I can't really decide. Should really sell the L5 too as I'm not sure it even out-throws my stock 6P even with that huge head just comparing them tonight, but I really like everything else about that one and extra runtime. Novelty factor was fun playing with them this week though. Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just stick with using my 6P and Fenix AA for the time being.

Wish I'd have gone with and A2 now. It will throw as good as my 6P but have low light like the L1 too. What do you think I could trade for one with what I have?