SL Stinger upgrade head

Till

Newly Enlightened
So I've done a search, but was unable find what I was looking for, and figured that any information I would have found might be outdated, depending on when it was posted.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting the HP upgrade kit for my Stinger and am wondering what real difference it will make in the output, throw, and runtime.

Because of the larger reflector, does it produce a tighter beam and therefore more throw than the regular stock Stinger? Looking at the CP measurements, it goes from 15,000 to 40,000 when the upgrade is installed. Because candlepower is more of a measurement of light in a particular spot than actual output, I assume it does have a tighter hotspot? And I've been unable to find any information anywhere (short of contacting SL themselves) about the runtime with the upgrade head. I'd assume it would be somewhat shorter?

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I own a Stinger, though I rarely use it those days.

And at work, the flashlights in the squad room are Stinger XTHPs on chargers. Most officers grab them and use them, they seem fairly popular. I've also used them a time or two when I forget my own light.

Throw is much better than the original and you are correct, the hotspot is much brighter. Run time seems fairly comparable and SL advertises them both at about an hour.

All and all, I don't think it's a bad $25 investment if your Stinger isn't quite doing it for you.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I got one of these for a LEO and the thing only puts out about 140 lumens. overall he was not real thrilled with it and now the head was too big for his belt. I got him a Wolf Eyes Rattlesnake with a 380 lumen head and its more compact and really puts out. I want to mod out his stinger at some point but waiting to see whats available. Malkoff was supposed to have some stinger upgrades in the works but I haven't seen anything yet. failing that I may try my hand at something else.

Till

Newly Enlightened
Went ahead and ordered it and it'll be here friday.

I'm satisfied with the output of my Stinger, but need something with a little more reach.