Just received the Surefire E2DL but led light looks green!

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
Just curious to you guys, I already own the 6PL and to me it looks blue/purplish and now when I look at the E2DL it looks greenish/white to me.. anyone else feel the same?

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
So does it mean that the green/white is better or blue/purplish light is better?

Or the correct one?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Color tint can vary even within the same color tint BIN, and even more-so within brightness BINs.

Green-yellow tints don't bother me that much. Its the blue/violet ones that annoy me to no end.

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
Color tint can vary even within the same color tint BIN, and even more-so within brightness BINs.

Green-yellow tints don't bother me that much. Its the blue/violet ones that annoy me to no end.

I actually like the blue push to the white.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it actually look green when shining it on a white wall by itself, or do you only notice the green when you shine it next to a bluish / purplish LED?

If you don't notice it's green when you shine it alone, then some including myself prefer the warmer tint. My KX2C head appears a tiny bit green when I shine it next to my cool white E2DL. I like the KX2C head better, especially outside. I think depth percetion and colors are more accurate with the KX2C (warmer tint) however the cooler tint of the E2DL did look brighter until I had the KX2C head modified into a Milky Creemator.

Bill

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
Does it actually look green when shining it on a white wall by itself, or do you only notice the green when you shine it next to a bluish / purplish LED?

If you don't notice it's green when you shine it alone, then some including myself prefer the warmer tint. My KX2C head appears a tiny bit green when I shine it next to my cool white E2DL. I like the KX2C head better, especially outside. I think depth percetion and colors are more accurate with the KX2C (warmer tint) however the cooler tint of the E2DL did look brighter until I had the KX2C head modified into a Milky Creemator.

Bill

In complete darkness I compared the 6PL (blue push) to the E2DL (Green Push) and I shined both at my door which is white.

To me the Blue push looks closer to white since I was used to it but now that Im getting used to the green push it does seem closer to white than the blue push does.

When I do shine the E2DL on my white door the green push is slightly apparent but even my brother who first saw it told me it looked more white. I think you have to get used to it.. I was just really used to the 6PL and now the blue push is starting to look a little too "fake" look and the slight greenish push of the E2DL is starting to look more realistic.

I also have a question, while in low light mode on my E2DL I looked inside (behind the glass) and on one part there is a smudge.. is there a way I can clean that? It doesnt affect the way it lights the E2DL but I guess with a shiny new toy I'd like it clean.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a question, while in low light mode on my E2DL I looked inside (behind the glass) and on one part there is a smudge.. is there a way I can clean that? It doesnt affect the way it lights the E2DL but I guess with a shiny new toy I'd like it clean.

It may not be a smudge. Sometime the optics look cloudy. I'm not sure why. Don't go doing unecessary cleaning. Usually you end up with something worse than what you started with.

If it really is a smudge on the backside of the pyrex window, it is possible to disassemble the light. You would have to break the thread lock, remove the head, unscrew the otics then clean the back side of the glass. I would make sure you really have a problem before going through that.

Bill

Last edited:

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
It may not be a smudge. Sometime the optics look cloudy. I'm not sure why. Don't go doing unecessary cleaning. Usually you end up with something worse than what you started with.

If it really is a smudge on the backside of the pyrex window, it is possible to disassemble the light. You would have to break the thread lock, remove the head, unscrew the otics then clean the back side of the glass. I would make sure you really have a problem before going through that.

Bill

The smudge seems to be not on the glass but in the reflector (looks like a half inch line smudge), but this doesnt have any affect of the light so I think I will just ignore that. Otherwise, wow very nice light and especially if the 5 lumens can last 76 hours or even near that it would be very VERY useful.

rockz4532

Enlightened
if its a luxeon led (which i dont think it is) it is like that with all of their leds. My 3d magled has a huge purple tint to it, and my 3aa minimagled has a very good neutral white tint to it, also my cree coleman max has a bluish tint when i compare to 3aa minimag.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF L1 Cree has a greenish tint. Everytime I use it I notice it, but it doesn't bother me that much. It seems a lot of people complained of a green tint with the L1. It's possible SF bought a lot of Cree LEDs from a bin that can have a greenish tint. Maybe the decided out of all the bins close to neutral white, they'd rather have the tint be on the greenish side than the purplish side? Has anyone seen a L1 Cree with a purplish tint?

kavvika

Enlightened
My E1L has a slightly greenish ting, and it's only noticeable when compared to another LED light. The tint is a huge boon outdoors, so by thankful you didn't get a blue-tinted one (as you've already figured out).

eplugplay

Newly Enlightened
My E1L has a slightly greenish ting, and it's only noticeable when compared to another LED light. The tint is a huge boon outdoors, so by thankful you didn't get a blue-tinted one (as you've already figured out).

The E2DL is surely much brighter and a wonderful light especially the 5 lumens seems pretty bright and doesnt seem like 5 more like 15 lumens or 20.

I still prefer the bluish push just makes things look nicer in the dark for close up but for far distances the greenish tinge seems to help much better.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the SF SSC/Crees I've handled have been green-ish. Wanna see REALLY bad green? Read LEDmuseum's review of the CMG reactor (one of the first Luxeon lights)

1996alnl

Enlightened
Just curious to you guys, I already own the 6PL and to me it looks blue/purplish and now when I look at the E2DL it looks greenish/white to me.. anyone else feel the same?

Mine has a green tint too,i really notice it on low but on high the beam is so bright it's not noticable.
Outdoors it looks the best though.:twothumbs

Take care

faucon

Enlightened
Most of the SF SSC/Crees I've handled have been green-ish. Wanna see REALLY bad green? Read LEDmuseum's review of the CMG reactor (one of the first Luxeon lights)
My new L0D also has a really bad green. The hotspot is about as green as auto antifreeze. It's not just a subtle tint, which I wouldn't mind so much. If I'm using the light outdoors, however, around grass and trees, it's not so bad since they're green too.

seale_navy

Enlightened
my surefire E1B i got has a purple-ish tint.. but just a slight purple tint.. however it looks brighter than the warm tint that the E1B normally have...

so far, i got 2 E1B with warm tints and one slightly purple-ish tint, however brighter