Arc6 blue tint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone got an Arc6 that shifts from white to blue in a matter of seconds on level 7, this is now a known issue with a small fraction of the driver pcbs and we can fix it under warranty. We test for it now so it new purchases should not be affected.

If the beam looks a little blue all the time, that is probably the normal cast of the cool white P4. But if it noticably shifts in a matter of seconds from cool white to a surprisingly dark blue, then the circuit board needs to be replaced and we can take care of this for you. We have found that is is easiest to detect this on brightness level 7. This is how we test it at the factory.

This is how you can test to see if your unit is affected: assign level 7 to an easy to reach stage (like stage 2 is fine). Or, if you haven't changed your levels and the light is still in the factory configuration, stage3 is level 7. Activate level 7 and place the light on a fixed surface shining against a white wall. Wait a few seconds. If you see no obvious (and I mean this will be very hard to miss, it gets quite blue) shift within about 20 seconds, then you are fine. Otherwise, let us swap out the pcb for you. Send an email to [email protected]

We occasionaly get emails from people who say their flashlight looks a little blueish. With the Arc6 using the P4 led, it is right in the middle of the cool white scale so it should be like a cool white flourescent bulb. If your Arc6 has the blue shift problem, it will be very noticable. Nothing subtle about the shift.

And yes, it is normal for the tint to shift a little bit from level to level because the current is different for each level. I added the extra explanation because sometimes people have a hard time seeing the true color of the beam. The blue shift I am talking about is quite strong (and would normally be a cool feature if the goal was novelty).

OT, when I was first designing the Arc6, I thought of adding a tint shift menu option just for fun. It would cause the light to go to either full blue or a bit on the yellow-green side. However, that feature was nixed early on with several other features to make the menu less cluttered.

peter

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT, when I was first designing the Arc6, I thought of adding a tint shift menu option just for fun. It would cause the light to go to either full blue or a bit on the yellow-green side. However, that feature was nixed early on with several other features to make the menu less cluttered.

So THAT's what that "Tint" slider was in the customization UI :)
Speaking of which... Any clues on when and if the USB interface will be available?

Would've been a cute gimmick to have a tint setting function in the firmware. Any plans on making that an option in future firmware(s)?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is what the tint slider was for. The 10-pin Hirose connector brings out the Atmel programming pins (MISO/MOSI, etc) plus it accesses the 3.3v line, LED + and LED-, B+, etc. I could not get IC2 to work but I verified it does work end to end using 9600baud RS-232. This interface is rev2 for the rev7 flashlight pcb. The Rev1 interface talked to the rev6 pcb (Silab F300) which more development was spent on the interface and there was a working windows application. However, with the rev2 interface and the rev7 pcb, the interface was a lower priority and I did not finish it. I published the schematic for the interface so that people who were serious about intefacing the hardware would have a small headstart.

The r2 interface is currently used in production for programming the flashlights. It also has some diagnostic functions I can use. For example, there are logging versions of the firmware that write ADC values, etc to the eeprom for diagnosis.

peter

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So THAT's what that "Tint" slider was in the customization UI :)
Speaking of which... Any clues on when and if the USB interface will be available?

Would've been a cute gimmick to have a tint setting function in the firmware. Any plans on making that an option in future firmware(s)?

The uP used in Arc6 is kind of different. it wont support direct USB interface.

by the way do you know it can easily process 20 Million Instructions per Second @ 20 MHz :)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The uP used in Arc6 is kind of different. it wont support direct USB interface.

I think you misunderstood what i was writing about...
There's an I2C socket on the Arc6 board and Peter once wrote about a planned I2C to USB interface and software that would enable end-users to customize the flashlight.

The very same interface is used for internal calibration of the individual Arc6's.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you misunderstood what i was writing about...
There's an I2C socket on the Arc6 board and Peter once wrote about a planned I2C to USB interface and software that would enable end-users to customize the flashlight.

The very same interface is used for internal calibration of the individual Arc6's.

You are right about I2C interface, I did assume that you were looking for a direct USB interface.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took me some time to dig the posts up, but this is what i was talking about:

Gransee said:
Schematic for interface board
Arc6-34.jpg

Gransee said:
btw, here's an earlier version of the PC interface software. It is now obsolete since I switched processors due to a different problem (not with the interface) identified later in testing.
Arc6-24.jpg

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as i've understood it, by varying the "mix" of PWM and current regulation.

Lowering the output by reducing current causes the tint to shift (usually into yellow, but it's not a rule). Lowering the output by PWM doesn't. By "superimposing" PWM over current regulation you can tweak the tint and do your best to keep it constant over the whole output range.

(for example, let's say you wanted to make the tint at 100% output cooler - bluer - than it currently is... you could conceivably overdrive the emitter with a current that would result in >100% output and make the tint a colder white, and then use PWM to "drive" it back to perceived 100%... and no, that wouldn't result in any damage to the LED, because it would only be pulsed at the overdriven level, not constantly on)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.