E1L Outdoorsman old vs. new

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
The current version of the E1L produces 45 lumens on the high setting.
The former version produced 30 lumens on the high setting.

I'm not going to ask which is brighter....or if the human eye can tell the difference.

What I want to know is how is the run time effected by adding 15 lumens?
Surefire's website says the run time on high for the 45 lumen E1L is 8.5 hours. That can't be accurate? can it? Someone here said it was more like 4 hours on high.... comments on that?

Is surefire adding a brighter LED at the expense of runtime or is the efficiency of the newer LED higher?

I was wondering why anyone would pay full price for a surefire light in say....... Bass pro shops??? suddenly it hit me the other day!! pay cash and there is nothing on the credit card statement. Who shops at Bass pro shops??(thats right) ....and who usually pays the credit card bill???(yep!):crackup:

Thanks!:grin2:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Re: E1L Outdoorsman old veres new

The new E1L is 2 stage. The run time is very long. I never did a run time test with a primary CR123 but with a 1000mah 3v cell I let it run 2 hours and then turned it off as the battery is unprotected and the Surefire has no protection for rechargeable batteries. The beam on the KX1 is much nicer than the KL1 too. The KL1 can handle 1 3.7 Li-ion cell or 2 3v primary cells. That could be a plus if you get a E2L/E2E body to double your run time. The KX1 can only handle 1 3v cell but has 2 stages.
Pick your poison...

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I liked the runtimes on the 1st edition Cree KX1/2 heads.

I just don't seem to care as much for the 2 level KX heads.

knightrider

Enlightened

I'm a fan of the single mode cree versions as well. Long regulated runtime with no modes. (even though the mode selection is quite easy on the newer models) This makes it a great uncomplicated light for sure. Great for the outdoors.

I liked the runtimes on the 1st edition Cree KX1/2 heads.

I just don't seem to care as much for the 2 level KX heads.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned both the 30 lumen E1L and the dual level 45 lumen E1L. Each has a long runtime compared with brighter flashlights.

The 30 lumen version draws about 200 mA and the 45 lumen version draws about 350 mA.

I liked both, but sold the 30 lumen E1L and use the 45 lumen version daily. My 45 lumen flashlight has a whiter tint .

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only advantage the KL1 has over the KX1 is that you can run it on a 2 cell tube. I have both and prefer the single stage version of the KX1 much better. The beam pattern is much more useful, broader hotspot with a respectable amount of spill. The KL1 is all throw and a better thrower than the KX1 IMHO. The KL1 will stay regulated for about 90 minutes, the KX1 is easily double that. Both of my units (well technically the KL1 is my wifes) are as white as you can expect from LEDs. My KX2 on the other hand is best described as "cat urine green" but thats for another thread.

Both the KL1 and KX1 make the light nose heavy. Get a lanyard and a McClicky tailcap to balance it out. I got one of the light anodized ones at Lighthound cheap. If you go that route get a GID O-ring to fill the gap the switch/battery tube has.

They are great lights. REI sells them too.

kelmo

Last edited: