Proton Pro or a newer light?

Yapo

Enlightened
Hi I've been thinking of getting a Proton Pro for a while now...it seemed a bit expensive when it first came out but now its more affordable (although its probably not any cheaper now for me since the $AU dropped from like $US0.97 to $US0.67 over the last 3 months)

Anyways i thought I'd ask everyone with a Proton pro how it compares to newer lights like the Nitecore D10 that so many people have now.
Is it still worth getting or should i go for another light?(preferably <$US60 shipped and single AA/AAA/rcr123 in that order)

I've been wanting a dim light to read/walk around in the house at night with but the 2-3 lumens on my Jetbeam jet-I IBS is just way too bright.

How low can the white cree output go? lower than the D10?(I haven't been able to find much info on the max/min lumen output)

Or how easy is it to swap the red LED with a white one?(i believe a few of you have done this) as i don't care so much for red light although i could get used to it...

Thx in advance!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Proton Pro is imo a must have light. While it isn't going to win any brightness contests, it is by far one of the most useful lights that I own. The UI is one of the better ones out there. The low output red really makes things easy on the eyes in the middle of the night.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
While I agree that the Pro is a must have, you might also look at its cousin the Rex. I especially like that it can turn on with a dim white.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Pro, but also a warning. If you are a white wall hunter there might be some disappointment. The beam has some rings and a strong hot spot, but it's not too bad. It can be fixed with a shot of hairspray on the reflector (mine had this done by its first owner, bondr006), but I washed it off for more throw. If you don't need the throw the old Proton (not Pro) is probably better for low light use, as its main beam goes a little dimmer and the red is smoother.

Geoff

superflytnt

Enlightened
I really don't know why they had to throw that red LED in this great light. Many other lights are able to dim a Cree down to ultra-low levels, why not the Proton? They messed up the best UI in town by adding that red light and I'll never understand why they did it. Both of the Proton's cousins (Photon Freedom and Rex) can be made to go so low that you can stare into the emitter(s) comfortably so why the need for the red LED on the Proton? The way that they have it set up now if you want white light (and I always do) you have to start out on max. and ramp your way down to the dim levels and it doesn't go as dim as the others because it has red for that. :ohgeez:

Yapo

Enlightened
I guess i will have to get 1 then...

A Pro i mean...I dont really like the look of the Rex with 4 leds in a line or the tiny battery that recharges off other batteries. Although it does seem pretty neat for a keychain style light...do all 4 led's stay the same brightness? from my experiences of (cheap) multi 5mm led lights they all dim at different rates and had different tints which puts me off a little.

although i do agree with superfly that i probably would like it more if it didnt have the red led in it and a OP reflector or medium angled optics(which i thought it would have been when i saw some of the preproduction pics of it)

...maybe having the same UI(which sounds great...simple yet versatile) but have the cree start as dim as possible instead of the red led so u can turn it on at either end of the output.

But i guess the red led in the original proton was a big hit so i can see why they would have one in the pro as it does have it's uses for some people.

So can anyone tell me how low the output from the cree can go...an estimate or comparisions with the low output of other lights would be great

oh and anyone know the the width and/or thickness of the glass lens thats on it as i have a spare 18mm UCL with diffuse layer.

I think i should wait abit for the AU$ to go back up...i didnt realise the price has gone up by AU$10 since i got the urge for one...hope it wont be too long!

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just did a quick eyeball comparison of the Pro on lowest level to a Fenix E0. It appeared that the Fenix could be as much as ten times brighter. So, call the Pro to be maybe 0.5 lumens. Also, the lens looks to be 18mm, without actually removing it.

Geoff

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Just did a quick eyeball comparison of the Pro on lowest level to a Fenix E0. It appeared that the Fenix could be as much as ten times brighter. So, call the Pro to be maybe 0.5 lumens. Also, the lens looks to be 18mm, without actually removing it.

Geoff

Wheres Marduke:thinking:
This is one of his favorite lights

Marduke

Flashaholic
Wheres Marduke:thinking:
This is one of his favorite lights

I'm at work, and my Proton Pro lives at home on my nightstand. I'll measure the lens width and thickness tonight (if someone doesn't beam me to it).

The brightness on low white is definitely <1lm. Low red is simply ridiculously low.

bltkmt

Enlightened
I had one and sold it because I wasn't using it enough...and now I miss it. Great little light...love the clicky on the body. I might just have to pick up another one!

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I'm at work, and my Proton Pro lives at home on my nightstand. I'll measure the lens width and thickness tonight (if someone doesn't beam me to it).

The brightness on low white is definitely <1lm. Low red is simply ridiculously low.

Haha, from everything I have heard from you and others its a great light, I may have to get one here soon:whistle:

Yapo

Enlightened
Sweet thx...i was having doubts that it would be able to get that low on the cree and 18mm lens is a plus...i hope my lens isnt too thick to fit without leaving a gap

...now to wait for the $AU to go back up a little although it still seems to be dropping:mecry:

if only i ordered it a few months back...now to find someone to build me a time machine

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned one for sometime and thought it was almost the perfect single AA light. Since it wasn't getting much use lately I did end up selling it. If they made it a little brighter it would be perfect in my opinion.

Bill

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
I've had one for a few weeks now and it's become my favorite carry light. It has the best UI out there, so simple someone playing with it can figure it out pretty quickly.

I didn't think I would much care for the red LED, but I find myself using it quite a bit. Easy on the eyes and more than enough light to get around the house.

If I had one complaint, it was that the side clicky is so low profile you have to roll it around in your hands while searching for it. It's on the opposite side of pocket clip, so that's the easy way to index it, but it also means you have to leave the clip on. I stick tritiums on everything, so I got out the dremel and burring bit and cut the first groove above the switch deep enough to drop in one of Bart's trits. I've got a good steady hand, so it looks like it was done in the factory, and it makes the light and the switch easy to find in the dark.

I love this light!

Yapo

Enlightened
Ditto marduke...i might try swapping the red led to white when I eventually get it if i cant get used to the red.

sounds great luckus...got any pics of it?

Last edited: