Proposal for Bomb-proof host owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

This is what I woul dlike to call "Hibernanting Bear Project"

I hope 100% of the buyers have received their hosts. Now the question is ...What to do? Some of the buyers have machining and advacnce modding capabilities, but some have things more difficult... I don't want to see taht anybody feels dissapointed with this buying, so this is an idea to help you.

The idea is simple. Make a P7 Direct Drive , 3AA, twist-on flashlight. Penig on the chemestry of batteries you choose you can have a (alks), long run time BRIGHT light (alks), low maintenance, high reliability, low price , batteries all over the world; or (NiMH) ULTRABRIGHT short run time (40 min) , some maintenance (NiMH self discharge unless you choose eneloop); or ULTRABRIGHT, short runtime (60 min), low maintenance, ultrareliable light (L91's Energizer)

In my opinion this light can be a "sleeper", waiting on a box with some alks that you can change each two-three years, maybe some L91's. The day you need it will wake up with ROAR. And if you menawhile what to use it you can feed it really cheap with NiMH's.

Here is the proposal.

1. We will design the "pills" to place a P7.

2. We choose and recomend a reflector for you.

3. We sent a package with switching system.

If you can find a modder who wants to make the "pills" and to mod the reflectors that would be great. I would send him also the rest of the components to be forwarded. If not, I will make them.

What do you think?

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

The idea is not to make money, but to avoid havings hosts waiting forever and buyers dissapointed.

The SS contact discs, and the fiberglass washers are arround to 1 US each, the design is for free, the reflectors and modding them can be on the 10 US$ range and I don't think a simple pill should be more than 20 US$... Now you have to add battery holder and the P7's.

So... worst of the cases 60 US$? Even if you bought the anodized units it is really much for a dive rated 800 lm light.

I hope to receive and e-mail from one of the buyers who could be interested in doing modding sets.

Javier

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
Javier, any thoughts on what we can run using 2 C li-ion? Your host is one of the best 2C form that I've coem across and to me, it'd be a wate if there was no way to have a build that runs off 2 C li-ions. Any ideas??

Also, would there be space in the host for a single emitter if we were to use 2 of your battery holders?

I assume that each of your 3AA battery holders are wired in series right?

And if you stack them one on top of the other, it would work to put out 7.2V??

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Javier,

Unless someone else offers, I might be willing to machine the pieces required for your proposal.

Couple of questions:

1) How many of the hosts are out there?
2) I presume you have drawings that you could send?
3) What kind of battery holder is readily available for this mod?

What I would not want to do is the installation of the LED and the rest of the assembly. I'm more than willing to sell the P7s to folks and to ship the completed packages as cheaply as possible.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im interested in switch internals and Battery holders for two lights.
Thats 4x 3AA holders right?

Each takes light takes two battery holders?

Mine has not arrives yet.

Regards,
Benny

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other question though..
The head is not deep enough for a Single reflector,so machining the HA hosts will be a pita.

How are you gonna solve this?

Benny

wquiles

Flashaholic
Hi Javier,

Unless someone else offers, I might be willing to machine the pieces required for your proposal.

Couple of questions:

1) How many of the hosts are out there?
2) I presume you have drawings that you could send?
3) What kind of battery holder is readily available for this mod?

What I would not want to do is the installation of the LED and the rest of the assembly. I'm more than willing to sell the P7s to folks and to ship the completed packages as cheaply as possible.

Thanks much Fred ;)

Will

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

This is what I woul dlike to call "Hibernanting Bear Project"

I hope 100% of the buyers have received their hosts. Now the question is ...What to do? Some of the buyers have machining and advacnce modding capabilities, but some have things more difficult... I don't want to see taht anybody feels dissapointed with this buying, so this is an idea to help you.

The idea is simple. Make a P7 Direct Drive , 3AA, twist-on flashlight. Penig on the chemestry of batteries you choose you can have a (alks), long run time BRIGHT light (alks), low maintenance, high reliability, low price , batteries all over the world; or (NiMH) ULTRABRIGHT short run time (40 min) , some maintenance (NiMH self discharge unless you choose eneloop); or ULTRABRIGHT, short runtime (60 min), low maintenance, ultrareliable light (L91's Energizer)

In my opinion this light can be a "sleeper", waiting on a box with some alks that you can change each two-three years, maybe some L91's. The day you need it will wake up with ROAR. And if you menawhile what to use it you can feed it really cheap with NiMH's.

Here is the proposal.

1. We will design the "pills" to place a P7.

2. We choose and recomend a reflector for you.

3. We sent a package with switching system.

If you can find a modder who wants to make the "pills" and to mod the reflectors that would be great. I would send him also the rest of the components to be forwarded. If not, I will make them.

What do you think?

Javier

I'd be very interested in this as I picked up a BA host from a CPF member who bought multiples. i would feel very confident in Fred doing this, plus he has D bin P7's
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
I would be interested to see the reflector chosen...it must be extremely shallow to fit in the head with no additional modifications!

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I'd be very interested in these, I can put all the parts together but I can't make all the parts.

Somebody more experienced can chime in here, but i would think it would be better to make it capable of handling at least 8.4 volts. That way we can use 6 NIMH or 2 AW C cells. Whether we can just add a resistor, or we need a driver for that I don't know.

Either way, I am not dissapointed by my purchase, its just that these are going to be challenging, but I knew that going in to them.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are out there just 50 bodies (I have 100 more waiting...).

The idea is to use just one battery holder, so you have space enough for the deeper lens and the P7 lens.

I have seen that DX or SZ reflector fit if turned down a little. I think I have a few for testing.

Will keep you informed.

Javier

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Javier,
The DX reflector is 23.43mm deep and 52.78mm in diameter. By removing the threads around the front of the reflector, it will drop perfectly into your host. However, when seated on an emitter, the reflector combination looks a bit too deep for installation into your unmodified host. A thinner lens might make it work but securing the lens looks difficult.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Javier,
The DX reflector is 23.43mm deep and 52.78mm in diameter. By removing the threads around the front of the reflector, it will drop perfectly into your host. However, when seated on an emitter, the reflector combination looks a bit too deep for installation into your unmodified host. A thinner lens might make it work but securing the lens looks difficult.

I'm sure you must at least open bit more the central hole, to 12,5 mm (P7's diameter)

Javier

Last edited:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
There are out there just 50 bodies (I have 100 more waiting...).

The idea is to use just one battery holder, so you have space enough for the deeper lens and the P7 lens.

I have seen that DX or SZ reflector fit if turned down a little. I think I have a few for testing.

Will keep you informed.

Javier

Ok I think I under stand now, I like that idea better. But just to get this straight

(Stealing Wquiles pictures here, Thanks!)

So, you're thinking insert the P7 heatsink in the body tube to the right, taking up enough space to allow for the use of one 3AA adapter, right? Ok sounds good, so we'll need to get the head/body apart. I can probably handle that:eek:
dscf1875.jpg

And here we need to open up, or completely remove that aluminum disc, right to allow more room for a reflector? I guess most of us could handle that with a hand drill:shrug:.
dscf1876.jpg

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Here is a drawing in which you can see the heads as they are and how a P7+DX modded reflector should be.

cabezab15cpfnj6.jpg

As you can see you need some machining.

Here a simulation about how can you do things to make a 3xAA DD P7 mod.
conjuntoopticapillfy2.jpg

There is room enough for any driver, or even for a custom 6AA pack, or even 2XC + Driver...

You can even try something crazy if you put 4 x P7 + 2 C Li-ION + this optics...

Or ..(this one is my favorite) 3x P7 paralell, plus the optics above mentioned and a single 26650?? Let's say 25 minutes of pure rage??

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Hmmm.....this is just me thinking out loud, and I don't expect you to come up with anything, but I was hoping for something a bit deeper. More like the lines in green. However this would require removing the aluminum divider somehow.

I was thinking something along the lines of a MRV/A9 type reflector(opened up for a P7), It gives a great beam profile a lot more throw, which would be a lot better if you are diving with it. Does anyone know if a reflector like this exists to fit these hosts? I tried searching, but I am Diagram & Metric Dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.