Who uses Golden Dragon Plus LED's

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
They seem to be quite nice, they have a small emmiter size and are on par with q5s so in a throwy reflector they could be rather promising

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't kept myself well informed on EdgeTac's works after the Extreme, and all their lights used Crees up to that point. What did they make that uses Golden Dragons?

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Apparently we won't be seeing any other lights making use of the red junction as it's against manufacturer recommendations and requires a significant current (I think I read ~500ma) to activate. Hence, HDS/Ra is no longer using that mode IIRC. I believe it was intended as a reverse polarity indicator to speed troubleshooting during manufacturing, never intended to be used as a light source and may even be bad for the LED in the long run.

shomie911

Enlightened
Apparently we won't be seeing any other lights making use of the red junction as it's against manufacturer recommendations and requires a significant current (I think I read ~500ma) to activate. Hence, HDS/Ra is no longer using that mode IIRC. I believe it was intended as a reverse polarity indicator to speed troubleshooting during manufacturing, never intended to be used as a light source and may even be bad for the LED in the long run.

Is it really that bad?

Why would RA have the red mode in there if it would compromise the reliability of their light?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's right, it's only listed as a protection diode in the datasheet.

I got one in a non-plus GD to fire at 1.45V, 3mA. At that point it was a dim glow, but it was on. It appears to be a standard 5mm-sized junction, so if it's run at 20mA or less it seems like it should be fine for a long time.

I think it's too interesting an inclusion not to use.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Is it really that bad?

Why would RA have the red mode in there if it would compromise the reliability of their light?

No clue, maybe (as LukaA suggests) that figure is not entirely correct. Anyway, I'm just assuming there must be some reason they would advise aginst it.

I agree, its a really neat feature - and if it can be used safely then why not?:shrug:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
No clue, maybe (as LukaA suggests) that figure is not entirely correct. Anyway, I'm just assuming there must be some reason they would advise aginst it.

I agree, its a really neat feature - and if it can be used safely then why not?:shrug:

I think the recommendation has something to do with the fact that it's not a 'power' junction, i.e. it's not capable of handling the 2.25W of the white GD junction for long periods. But I think if you treat it like a 5mm LED it will be fine.

And even if it does get damaged, it won't affect the functionality of the primary white junction.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure Henry knows his stuff and won't use 500ma to produce a couple of lumens. I remember the one used in twisty isn't plus version?