How does everyone carry their sf m3

rm3

Newly Enlightened
Hello all i ended up getting a sf m3 and running a lf eo-m3 lamp. i love the combo. my question is for those of you who carry a m3 on your belt how to you do it. i tried the sf holster on my duty rig (leo) and it was a no go rode way to high. i was thinking of going with the blade tech holster bezel down looked like it would work or maybe a gladius mod-u-lock holster??? i will being carrying the m3 on my off side around my left hip. thks

mdocod

Flashaholic
I like the RipOffs brand holsters, they use a metal clip that is easy to install on your belt without having to slip the belt through it as you put it on. Both of the holsters I own (one for 6P and one for M6) are fairly well balanced as for how much of the flashlight is above and below the belt line, but I'm not sure how their M3 holster would compare. I can definitely sympathize with the "high holster" problem as I have a few lights that came with holsters that ride up like that, very uncomfortable when getting in and out of the car.

The metal clip design of the RipOffs means it can be installed anywhere you have a horizontal run of something reasonably secure. I hang the M6 holster off the side of my left front pocket, it's down out of the way and does not interfere with getting in and out of the car. I wear jeans and cargos mostly, so that changes things a bit. Not sure if that concept would be comfortable or even work on the more dressy slacks that many LEO's wear.

I think if were faced with the the requirement to carry as much stuff as most LEO's carry on their belt, I would be using a thigh rig to move some of those items out of the way. I think the thigh would be a good place for a flashlight, backup flashlight, spare cells, maybe even the radio. (depending on what type of radio it is, size etc)...

Never know when a routine stop could turn into a foot chase through the woods, I think it would be comforting to have both a good flashlight for you, and one on hand for another officer who ditched his oversized mag 300 yards back :)

Eric

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod, as usual, said it very well. I don't EDC my M3, but for night walks, I've got a custom lanyard from Tekno_Cowboy that's roughly 12" long, one end clipped to beltloop and one to lanyard ring. The light then goes bezel down into my pocket when not in use. Lanyard is more to prevent damage from drops than for anything else. I'd imagine that the RipOffs holsters are better suited for EDC use though.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Rip-offs holsters as well, though I prefer the belt loop models, I'm not crazy about metal clip holsters.

I have a belt loop Rip-offs that fits my C3 perfectly and also fits on a 1.5" duty belt.

I wish I had known about Rip-offs when I sold my M3, I probably never would have sold it..

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The modulock will have the same issue. it will only work bezel up. and since the M3 is so long, it will ride too high.

I EDC my L6 and it goes into a walkie-talkie molle pouch. LONG pouch. and that is on the side of my backpack.

rm3

Newly Enlightened
thks i will look into the rip off pouches. cant use a thigh rig not allowed so a no go for that. I was looking at the bladetech holster and someone mentioned that a gladius holster will work for the m3????? anyone else heard this or seen it?

bagman

Enlightened
I was looking at the bladetech holster and someone mentioned that a gladius holster will work for the m3????? anyone else heard this or seen it?

It will only work bezel up and it rides quite high I cant imagine it would be very comfortable.

I carried a M3 for a while as my belt light at work in a Blackhawk holster. I cant remember the model number but it was made especially for the M3 bezel down in a sort of elasticated basket and carried it quit low for such a big light.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Blackhawk M3 pouch bagman refers to. Doesn't work well--it's too tight and you have to really work (using two hands) to get the light in or out of it. The light also sticks up, which is what you don't want, right?

I found two acceptable carrying methods--one is a jacket pocket, on the rare occasions when I wear a jacket in San Diego.

The other is the Blackhawk M6 pouch that I keep on my gun belt at the 8 O'Clock position. This pouch is pretty good because you can put so many different things in it--mags, knives, flashlights, pepper spray, sunglasses, etc. The M3 drops in easily. You have to reach in a bit to get the light with your fingertips. It hangs down below the belt, so you might be sitting on it, depending on the placement on your belt. Try to get it as close to 9 O'Clock as possible.

rm3

Newly Enlightened
ended up getting the blade tech holster with the teclock and so far i love it..... rides at just the right hight and with the bezel down the it doesnt dig into my arm..... will see how it lasts but the construction looks good

cl0123

Enlightened

Got it, thanks!

d_86.jpg

With Aloha,

Clarence