O Light M20 R2 or EagleTac T10L?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered my 18650 AW cells from Lighthound today. Now all that's left is to decide which 18650 light to buy. Recently I've been considering the O Light M20 Premium R2 version. I like the fact that it DOES run regulated at 90 lumens. The EagleTac T10L claims regulation at 250 lumens:grin2: (2hours to 50%). There is a $30 difference; yet that's not the main concern. I want the best 18650 light I can find for around $100. At this point I am still leaning tward the OLight, so I would welcome any additional info on the EagleTac. This would be my first O Light or EagleTac light so naturally I want to do it right.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
T10L runs regulated on both 255 and 60 lm levels, M20 on medium only. T10L is more overall light because it has less throw and stronger spill. Both are great quality lights.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered my 18650 AW cells from Lighthound today. Now all that's left is to decide which 18650 light to buy. Recently I've been considering the O Light M20 Premium R2 version. I like the fact that it DOES run regulated at 90 lumens. The EagleTac T10L claims regulation at 250 lumens:grin2: (2hours to 50%). There is a $30 difference; yet that's not the main concern. I want the best 18650 light I can find for around $100. At this point I am still leaning tward the OLight, so I would welcome any additional info on the EagleTac. This would be my first O Light or EagleTac light so naturally I want to do it right.
The EagleTac has 100% ruler-flat regulation on all modes and it is brighter on high.
You might want to see this:

http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_t10l/

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
How the eff does the M20 run at 250 lumens for 4 hours?! Is the R2 really that much better then a Q5?
-Barry-

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
How the eff does the M20 run at 250 lumens for 4 hours?! Is the R2 really that much better then a Q5?
-Barry-

No it doesn't and no it isn't :)
Let's do some very crude estimations:
An 18650 has around 8.5 watt hours. (2400 amp hours x 3.6V)
To get a Q5 up to 250 lumens (at the emitter) we're talking at least an amp. So that's ~3.5 watts at least. (1A x 3.5V... assuming a Vf of 3.5V)
That means we need 14 watt hours to make it run for 4 hours. (3.5W x 4 hours)

The M20 starts out at ~250 and starts dropping in output. So it is not 250 for 4 hours at all.
The only major drawbacks that I can see for the T10L are the pocketclip that faces the wrong way and the fact that when the light runs out of juice it shuts down leaving you in the dark.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the info here!

Just as I was about to go with the M20 I saw the comments about the T10L. If the T10L is brighter while regulated, then that may be the move. I will miss that low low on the M20.

Down the road, maybe I can do what's always a good idea and buy both.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the low on the M20 is the biggest selling point and advantage it has over other similar lights. Better efficiency than PWM based lights like Jetbeam that offer lower options as well. It is a tough call and I'm not sure which I'd go for if I had to choose.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, i understand (from reading here on CPF)
that Olight is gonna' fix their M20 Warrior model
by eliminating that blasted "LowBatteryBlink". :twothumbs

Sounds like their next production run will have the change.

Just wanted to share the good news.

:cool:
_

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
I do not have an EagleTac T10L, but do have the CR123 version, the T10C2. I needed spill more than throw so I got the EagleTac over the Olight M20 (and I do like Olights very much). The EagleTac has amazingly wide and BRIGHT spill, but still throws as well as the Fenix TK10 in use (I actually use the lights). The M20 will probably out throw the EagleTac, on a computer model, but I doubt there will be very many times when you would notice it when using them side by side.... I don't have an M20, but I can't see it having as much, or as bright, spill as the EagleTac...

Another note. The T series EagleTacs don't have a "low", they just have "high" and "REALLY HIGH". The "low" 60 lumens is brighter than my Surefire and Streamlights' 80 lumens.... Surely WILL NOT preserve your night vision!!!