What mod can I do with a brand new old type KL3 head??

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
Hi, I managed to acquire 2 of these heads and am wondering what mods I can put in them.

It's the old type with all the fins....:D :thumbsup:

What is the best way to remove the bezel?

I forgot to mention that it is the version with the optics...

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
This doesn't address your question but you could keep one of them stock and use it for a long runtime 123 powered light. You should get a good 4 hrs on two 123's and 7 hours on three 123's.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.

I know that the 2nd Gen KL3 will work with voltages between 6 and 9 Volts. So you can use it with a 3 cell light. Two protected 3.7V Lithium Ion cells will work fine.

The Surefire website shows these runtimes:
2 cells: Runtime: 19 lumens max output for 4.25 hours, followed by 4.75 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output

3 cells: Runtime: 19.5 lumens max output for 7 hours, followed by 8 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I managed to acquire 2 of these heads and am wondering what mods I can put in them.

It's the old type with all the fins....:D :thumbsup:

What is the best way to remove the bezel?

I forgot to mention that it is the version with the optics...

Funny you should ask.... I just completed my first mod and it was the KL3
with the optic. First I tried boiling it.... no good! next I posted(like you ) how to disassemble and head and was told to use a hair dryer or heat gun. BINGO
the heat gun did the trick. less than 30 seconds and the thread locker was loose. you must have the right tools to unscrew the parts.
Something to use as a spanner wrench (needle nose pliers or snap ring pilers ) strap wrenches are good but I used Channel locks with rubber inserts.

I removed the stock emitter and replaced it with a USVOH and the stock driver>>>>>>>>WOW who cares about runtime!! This is just what I wanted. I used two part epoxy to hold the LED in place. I put a scratch on the head during the early experiments of disassembly but thats how you learn. I you need any other help PM me

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the help I needed........Thanks to Tim aka: DaFABRICATA

09-07-2008, 11:45 PM

DaFABRICATA
Flashaholic*

Re: How to disassemble KL3 head??
From the sounds of it, you have a gen. 1 KL3? Ribbed style?

Try a heatgun to heat the outside bezel around the top, next use a pair of needle-nose pliers and open them up into the notches.....and turn applying downward force so the needle-nose don't come out of the grooves!...hopefully it unscrews.

In preparation, I usually use a piece of 2X4 with a hole cut slightly smaller than the diameter of the bezel. I then put the bezel between the 2 halves and insert that into a vise to allow both hands to be used.