Honeymoon period survivors... which of your LED lights are real keepers?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the lights I have recently purchased in the last month - (Fenix L2DQ5, Dereelight DBS V2, Jetbeam III M, D10 GD), I only consider the Jetbeam and the D10 real keepers... the rest don't get used much.:sigh:

Which of your recent purchases do you think will survive a full year of ownership & what is the shortest 'honeymoon period' you've experienced on a recent purchase?

jr/

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Got a new Lux V black KL4 head that was neat for 3 hours.
Donut sucked big time. Almost set my hand on fire after 15 minutes of use. Love the wall of light but this was not the way to get it!

As far as keepers I hesitate to mention them since someone in particular has managed to start like 12 threads recently concerning nearly every aspect of it. Dude is wearing me out! Still here goes, a Surefire with a Malkoff and AW cells. I know, I know, not specific as to which SF or which Malkoff but any combo of those makes me feel good.

Other survivors:
Fenix E01 - Not for the tint but for the keychainable runtime.
1st gen Cree E2L - For the near perfect balance between output and runtime.
A2 - 4 flats, true white DS led's, Strion kit, short clip, newer cren bezel, trits behind led's, Oregonshooter tail ring, in an OD zipper SF case.:D
M6 - LF EO-M3T bulb, 2X18650 cell holder, PAIRED with my own M3 led head for long runs.
Minimag - SMJLED module and diffused optic
CMG Infinity - Been running for almost 10 years now, I'd call that a keeper!

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK11 has proven to be the real deal--I love this light.
The NiteCore Smart PD D10 is a joy and lives on my desk for nighttime excursions. I find myself constantly reaching for this light!

Those are the two I could not live without.

I've just ordered a Lummi Wee and cannot wait--I hope it too provides for a long-lasting healthy marriage!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Probably my LiteFlux LF5XT.

As long as i don't drop it on its tail !

:p
_

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say my Novatac 120P. I always have the light on me. It's just so versatile. Maybe the Ra Clicky will replace it, but until I get my hands on one, the NT is the light I always have on. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Milky Room Sweeper, but I can tell already, this light will be on me at all times as well, especially at work.
Photon Freedom. Now that's a real keeper. Forget I have it most of the time until I need it, and then I am generally grabbing my Novatac and holding it in my mouth until it dawns on me the Photon is more "tooth friendly".

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
D10 and my L04 Q4 and I'm hoping a LF5XT when I get one.:D
Oh and I still use my Streamlight Stylus a lot

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the 20+ lights I purchased during 2007 only 2 are still in daily use: SF L1 CREE and SF Titan, the latter being my main EDC.

My outlook for 2008 is that NDI, LiteFlux LF5XT and possibly SF E1B or E1L will remain in use for a long time. Nitecore D10 and EX10 are already on a shelf beside my 12 Fenix lights... :naughty:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
inova x5.
All my SF and drop-ins etc, inevitably are extremely dissapointing, whereas my Mk I IBS is something I can't live without.

SF L1 is my #1, followed by my 6PDL and Novatac. The 6PDL lives in my Maxped bag, and the Novatac in my fleece jacket. I have a tan G2 with P60L and Z58 in my Jeep that gets a lot of use.

Actually, quite a few of my lights have survived the "honeymoon period". I should say that my LEAST used are my UltraFire 602D1, Streamlight 2L3W (P4 Mod), and my Fenix L2T, which has been replaced by my L2D. Even those lights still get used occasionally though. I keep good batteries in all of my lights, and clean them every once in a while.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA on a neck chain.
Nuwaii Q3
Pentagonlight Molle

Those are pocket lights that always get used. Around the house It is:

Pelican LAPD 7060
Streamlight Survivor LED
Ultrafire Cree WF500
Surefire L7

Grumpy

Enlightened
Nitecore EX10 and fenix E01

I have a Novatac 120P but like the small size of the EX10 better.

I would like to see one of Henry's lights as small as the EX10.

Zenster

Enlightened
The survivors that rise above all the rest of the 40+ lights I have are:

1. Novatac 120P
2. Nitecore D10
3. Nitecore EX10
4. Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M60L drop-in.
5. Fenix L2D-CE/Q5
6. AE Xenide 25W

Sure, I have several others that are high on the survivor list, but the above would be the "last ones to go" if push came to shove (at this point in time), and the ones above are the ones I use more often than all the rest combined.

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
Surefire G2 with R2 LED dropin - Cheap, durable, super-utility beast of a little light. Great combo

Aleph Mule with datiLED P7 - I never expected the "mule" configuration to be such a useful tool. Great light, handy to use and WAY bright. Super little package.

NovaTac 120P/T - Aweseome "house lights," I have the P on the nightstand right next to my Luce de Notte, starts up on super-low with "POW" at the ready.

Nitecore EX10 - On the lanyard in my messenger/laptop bag that I carry everywhere for work. Small and easy to use. Great utility light

Mag LED Mods
(1xSSCP4, 3xSSCP4) - A couple Maglite mods running 18650's for power. Lightweight for their size, but beefy enough to be great outdoor lights. The single-emitter has a heavy stipple reflector for super wall-of-light flood. The triple-emitter is for tracking down the dog at night when she decides that she needs to "explore" after her evening break...:ohgeez:

La Petite Killer - Fred's (PhotonFanatic) little Ti gem is now my keychain EDC. Not super bright, but I usually have something with pretty solid punch handy if I really need it. The Nichia has awesome runtime and is plenty bright for finding stuff in the car at night, making your way thru a dark office, parking lot, or garage. Tiny, beautiful and always there - a great set of qualities.

cslinger

Enlightened
All my Surefire L1s (original 1st gen, 3 Lux optics versions)
All my HDS and Novatacs (2 HDS, 2 Novatacs)
My Fenix P2Ds
My 2 and 3 D cell Maglites
My Inova T1 (Original Tiros)
My Surefire E1B

Those are the main one still in use.

shomie911

Enlightened
RA Twisty 85-TR
Inova X5 Older generation
Inova X1 Gen.2
Peak Kino Bay SS P4

Those are the only ones I still have and use.

MWClint

Enlightened
Three lights I could not live without.

Peak Rainier Brass 2xAA. This is an heirloom quality light that you would feel proud to hand down from generation to generation. This light just
feels so good in your hands. Primary task is my "do not disturb the sleeping
family" light.

Fenix L0-Ti. Modded with a seoul p4, it has such a clean and useful
beam. U2SWOH is absolutely sick on lithium ion. Ti is just icing on the cake.
been carrying it every day.

6D Mag P7 Der Witchel Buck and D2DIM. Settled on the regulator
drawing 3.0amps on high. With 6 10Kmah accupower lsd batteries and the
d2dim dimmer module, i'm still on the first charge of the batteries, even using
the light every night for 15-20 minutes outside over the past 2 weeks.
(night walks with the dog)
Highly recommended combination of electronics/led/battery/host.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Survivor - Fenix P2D Q5, it's a keeper

Shortest "honeymoon" - Liteflux LF5XT, 9 hours
I did see that the Liteflux is coming out with a new model that lets you switch between a complicated and simple UI. I might check that out.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Novatac 120P Ultra Low low Output, Runs For Days On A Primary.

A2 Aviator Need I Explain Anything About This Light? :naughty:

E1B Backup The Throw On This Thing Is Just Amazing, Paired With An F-04 Diffuser, And you Have The Ultimate EDC Light.

M6 Guardian This Light Just Simply Amazes Me Everytime I Use It. Pair It With An MN15 Bulb For Long Runtimes.

U2 Ultra I Just Cant Part With This Light,It Was My First REAL Flashlight,And Has Some Sentimental Value As Well.

These Are The Only Lights That I Actually Use. I Could Live Without All Of My Other Lights.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
The Shortest "Honeymoon", Would Have to Be The "M*glite 2AA LED"

Bought It, Returned It Same Day.

That Is, If You Can Actually Call That A Flashlight.

:eek: