LED drop in for a 3P?

Benner

Newly Enlightened
Really hope this is in the right place...

Does anyone know of a LED drop in for the Surefire 3P? If not, does anyone know of a stockist for replacement bulbs?

Also, can anyone tell me what tail cap options are available that will fit it?

Many thanks all

Ben

matt0

Enlightened
Gene Malkoff, maker of the ridiculously popular M60 drop-in, makes an M30 drop-in meant for the 3P. I don't think it is listed on his site (www.malkoffdevices.com) but you could try calling/emailing him.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LED need a boost driver if you are running the drop-in with 1 CR123. To my knowledge, Malkoff is the only one who makes a dedicated 3P drop-in. You'll have to contact him to make one for you.

Benner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the links.

So am I correct in thinking that I need a P60 style drop in that works from 3V plus? (if that makes any sense)

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the links.

So am I correct in thinking that I need a P60 style drop in that works from 3V plus? (if that makes any sense)

So far the best two choices would be;

Warm tint - the Dereelight 5AQ2 2.8V-4.2V
Neutral white tint - the Malkoff M30 1V-5.5V

Both of these work well from a single CR123 or the RCR123 cell.

Benner

Newly Enlightened
So far the best two choices would be;

Warm tint - the Dereelight 5AQ2 2.8V-4.2V
Neutral white tint - the Malkoff M30 1V-5.5V

Both of these work well from a single CR123 or the RCR123 cell.

Any idea what sort of output I should expect from those?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a 3P w/M30 that I just recently sold on Marketplace, here. To my eyes, the M30 on one cell looks almost identical to the M60 on two cells, which as you know is rated at 235 lumens.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I have a Dereelight 3SD in a 3P, it's great, and it is putting at least 1.2A into the LED. You do have to use an RCR123A, it won't be anywhere near as bright with a CR123A Primary.

I also have the DX Sku.11074 which is damn close the Dereelight, but not quite. It also is a little longer in the driver area, which will cause the module to not fully seat, and the bezel won't screw down all the way, unless you were to bore it out a little bit.

Too bad no one makes a P60 drop-in (that you can buy seperately) using the AMC7135 driver, because it also works pretty well on one RCR123A, not as bright as either of the above, but still pretty darn close, and having multi-modes on a 3P is kind of nice because of the one small battery.

I'm sure the Malkoff is great as well, but don't have any direct experience with it. I know for sure that the Dereelight drop-ins work perfectly in a 3P, and definitely the ones that are rated specifically for use with 1 Li-Ion battery are the brightest, and that's even comparing them to the ones that support multiple batteries (higher voltage range)

streetkid

Newly Enlightened
What about DX sku 11074? that looks like a quick cheap alternative, obviously the m30 is preferable.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, 3P is a light that Surefire no longer makes. Lots of users here would love to have a 3P. They are almost a collector's item now.

6P's are very common.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, 3P is a light that Surefire no longer makes. Lots of users here would love to have a 3P. They are almost a collector's item now.

6P's are very common.
Of course he knows that, that is why he posted here to make us squirm... the talking about turning it into a 6P was pure genious it made us cringe and the less strong to completely lose it! I hope he enjoyed it. :eek:

Latest posts