Which P7 based light?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think im finally going to budge, and get a P7 light...:crazy:

im looking to get one of those from deal extreme, but i need confirmation as to which one is commonly thought "the best"

i want light, lots of it, preferably with throw.......

so which one is it?

yes i know bessiebenny has a Thread on Dx/Kd lights, but i need to look at specifically P7 lights.

Crenshaw

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey Cren...

I'm currently in the exact same boat as you... been looking at the Aurora AK P7-5... [link removed by moderator]

I've been trying to find out if they are any good... i like the look of the SS bezel too... but i don't wanna spend too much... and worst comes to worst... i just paid $40 for a P7 star... and host... and just need a decent driver board.... BUT... i just want one that i can throw into my backpack and have it with me to beat around... so multimode is probably a necessity... as most times... i don't need full blast... but it's nice to have that option... strobe... sos is a bonus... but not necessary....

if anyone has this or one of the DX ones... please recommend one...

THanks,

KraZy

Last edited by a moderator:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been reading in another forum about a group buy for the Ultrafire WF-1000L
They seem to be well pleased with their lights.
Crenshaw .... why dont you have a look at Britelumens P7 Mag. He is local to you ... Singapore:devil::devil::devil:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too have been looking at the aurora HA model... but i notice there are no ratings or reviews for it...:ohgeez:

funny thing is, i have been looking at britelumens P7 mag, but i cant seem to find a sell link....:thinking:

i want to buy something as a whole, rather then have to solder stuff myself...

Crenshaw

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm... the britelumens' ones look friggin awesome... but the price is pretty steep....

$40 compared to $210.... that's a 525% difference!!!

i would hate to get a britelumens and ding it up when it's thrashing around in my backpack... or even worse.. if i lose it....

i'd be happy with a $40 light that is reliable... and can stand up to some abuse... and be pretty bright... doesn't need to be a flame thrower... i'm not an arsonist... :)

please... if someone has one of the DX P7's... please let us know... and maybe even some beam shots???

KraZy

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire WF-1000L has very good opinions as a bright, quite throwy, well built and heatsinked light. Efficient circuit. It's also cheaper than Elektrolumens EDC-P7 (unregulated) or Mag mod (big donut hole).

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm... i really like the electolumens edc... too bad it's outta my price range too.....

on the wf-1000l.... it's kinda too big... i don't like the 2x18650 form factor too much....

BUT... i saw someone do a Jetbeam III Pro ST mod with a P7... and that looks wicked... i love the form factor of the III Pro ST.... gonna have to get me one so i can put one in myself....

KraZy

erlon

Newly Enlightened
I´ld recomend the "TrustFire HA-III GITD SSC P7-C 900-Lumen LED Flashlight"
sku.14412

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
See what my Aurora P7 did... so after you buy it, you might want to change the tailcap spring before using, but mine probably just unlucky. However, the construction quality is really good, i'll give it 4 star for built quality (out of 6) and 2 star for the electronics because it seems like last minute in the rush solder and very rough PCB cut out. Returning to DX for replacement.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2653807&postcount=38

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
It's been mentioned by a few posters (including the OP)... for $40 I decided you can't go wrong. Get the Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III SSC P7-C 5-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight with Assault Crown... long, silly name, but it's a great little flashlight. It's as bright as my Romisen RC-T5. I use it as a bike light - the relatively small reflector means its more about flood than throw (which is perfect for cycling), but the sheer volume of light the thing can produce is really impressive. It's well built, threads are smooth, emitter is well centred, and coating may well be HAIII. And when the power goes off, it tailstands (albeit a little unsteadily) and lights up the room like a 100Watt lightbulb!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly why on my high current 2-mode AK-P7 I noticed that the piston had a spring under it. I took the whole tailcap thing apart and soldered the spring directly to the piston. I knew it would be a source of resistance and could possibly melt down.

glenda17

Enlightened
I ordered the 2 battery Aurora P7 light, supposedly brighter than the 1 battery version.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I went ahead and orderd one of these:

Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III SSC P7-C 5-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight with Assault Crown

I realize it's probably not the best but it was simply the only one I can afford right now. If money was no object I would have tried the W1000L or whatever, the one with the deep reflector, but funds are tight right now.

Right now my brightest light is a 3D MagLED modded with an SSC P4 LED in place of the stock Luxeon.

As long as the Aurora is noticeably brighter than my SSC P4 MagLED, I'll be happy!

Rechargeable batteries will be nice, I ordered 4 to go with it.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think im finally going to budge, and get a P7 light...:crazy:

im looking to get one of those from deal extreme, but i need confirmation as to which one is commonly thought "the best"

i want light, lots of it, preferably with throw.......

so which one is it?

yes i know bessiebenny has a Thread on Dx/Kd lights, but i need to look at specifically P7 lights.

Crenshaw

hey, when you get one, please let me know how it turns out and whether its a reasonable light for the price as i live in sg too and am looking for a P7 bargain.

I got the aurora wf-600 2 mode Q5 and its a nice thrower for the price but construction can be a bit off, i thought it died on me but turns out it was a connection problem, just had to whack the head and its fine now. It's also nearly impossible to get a holster for one of these. Not sure if any of the large holsters sold on DX can accomodate the large head.

For the P7 i was actually considering this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 as the head isnt too big and it would be easier to carry around. However, that would mean less throw but it's ok cos the P7 (IMHO) is probably meant more for flood.

But i am really interested in the Ultrafire 900 lumen one though. But at nearly double the price of the MTE, i may have to think a little.

Last edited:

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly why on my high current 2-mode AK-P7 I noticed that the piston had a spring under it. I took the whole tailcap thing apart and soldered the spring directly to the piston. I knew it would be a source of resistance and could possibly melt down.

How do you solder the spring to the piston with the PCB mounting to the spring? Any chance of a PIC? Cheers

Hellbore

Enlightened
Hey guys, I have a question.

I know the Aurora P7 flashlight (the 1x18650 one with 5 modes) claims to be 900 lumens, which is just stupid!

However, does anyone have a setup where they can measure what the actual lumen output is? Does anybody own one and have any idea of even a ballpark figure of what the lumen output is?

I'm just curious because currently the brightest light I have is a one-LED Cree P4 LED light, set up direct-drive to run off of a 14500. I am concerned after hearing negative things about the Aurora light, whether it will even be significantly brighter than my existing flashlight.

Your thoughts?

Also keep in mind I have no problem modding it when I get it if that helps, I'm pretty decent with the soldering iron and thermal epoxy etc.

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Don't be cheap, you'll only end up paying more on the long run...

Go straight for the Wolf-Eyes M90-P7.
=================================

Outdoors Fanatic: mmm...sort of/kinda good to see you post that reply.

i'm a total newbie, living in a big city, yet, i broke down and bought the Wolf Eyes 6A P7. did i make a mistake? should i have chosen a different version/brand/model?

again, i'm very very new at this.

thx in advance.