What do you use your glo-toob for?

foxtrot29

Enlightened
So? What do you use your glo-toob(s) for? And do you have all the colors, or just one or two?! I've got one of every color except red on the way... (And I'll likely bite the bullet and order the red one too!)

I've only received the white one as of yet, and it seems to put out enough light to assist night vision -- perfect for a pitch black room during a black out -- or a washroom light/night light for the little ones.. the uses seem endless! I imagine the other colors are a bit dimmer...

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a blue one (lithium) and it's great. I'm having a little problem with the waterproof switch though. Anyone else notice this with theirs? Mine has been intermittant ever since I got it. The clicky one works great.

I use mine any time I might need to use a chemlight. But I carry chemlights too. :)

JM-99

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I have a blue one (lithium) and it's great. I'm having a little problem with the waterproof switch though. Anyone else notice this with theirs? Mine has been intermittant ever since I got it. The clicky one works great.

I use mine any time I might need to use a chemlight. But I carry chemlights too. :)

JM-99

It's just the timing. It seems counting to 7-8 seconds seems to work better than counting to 5... you have to play with it.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use the waterproof switch, and have it on the regular bright blink.

attached to my BOB, for use as a locator/signal beacon.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just the timing. It seems counting to 7-8 seconds seems to work better than counting to 5... you have to play with it.

I'm not talking about setting the mode. I mean even after you're done choosing the mode and just want to turn it off/on, it doesn't do so reliably. i.e. It might be on for a few seconds and then will shut off just by the slightest bump, cycle through modes on its own, etc. Just acts oddly.

JM-99

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the amber version, and I keep it by my bed. The battery is very worn down, and I like it that way. I turn it on sometimes in bed to fix the sheets and prepare for sleep. It is just bright enough to force my eyes to adapt and not kill my night vision.

I also use it to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without ruining my night vision, and it works great for that, too.

1 what

Enlightened
I use a white lithium as "in-tent" lighting when camping. The earlier point about preserving night vision is spot on. I've also used it on one of the strobes in-tent as a location beacon when doing night hikes away from the tent. It sure makes it easy to find where you left the tent!

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm not talking about setting the mode. I mean even after you're done choosing the mode and just want to turn it off/on, it doesn't do so reliably. i.e. It might be on for a few seconds and then will shut off just by the slightest bump, cycle through modes on its own, etc. Just acts oddly.

JM-99

Weird... Thought about returning it?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...I thought about it, but have read questionable things about their customer service. Maybe I'll inquire anyway. It just needs a new switch...it works fine with the clicky one.

I do like it and have several of the older FX ones (non-lithium)...blue, red, and amber. They are handy and put out a decent amount of light while still maintaining your night vision.

JM-99

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Yeah...I thought about it, but have read questionable things about their customer service. Maybe I'll inquire anyway. It just needs a new switch...it works fine with the clicky one.

I do like it and have several of the older FX ones (non-lithium)...blue, red, and amber. They are handy and put out a decent amount of light while still maintaining your night vision.

JM-99

All the ones I purchased are of the older FX version, except the green one. It's a lithium. I find those A23 batteries are easy to come by online and even in the stores in this area.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
So? What do you use your glo-toob(s) for? And do you have all the colors, or just one or two?! I've got one of every color except red on the way... (And I'll likely bite the bullet and order the red one too!)

I've only received the white one as of yet, and it seems to put out enough light to assist night vision -- perfect for a pitch black room during a black out -- or a washroom light/night light for the little ones.. the uses seem endless! I imagine the other colors are a bit dimmer...

I bought one and it arrived yesterday. Mine is a Lithium White and straight away I was pretty impressed with it from a technical standpoint. I set it up for constant full on and played around with it a little bit in the dark.

I will probably get an amber one next, I'd think for late night use, amber would help night vision a bit more. Still, the white model produces enough ambient light to see around in a room in the darkness. I can see where these would make great beacons. I read somewhere that someone uses a red one on slow strobe as a marker for over-length loads in their pickup truck.

It's definitely a neat device with many uses.

firefly99

Enlightened
I have 2 FX units in red & blue. Recently just got 2 lithium units in red & white. Just found out my FX blue is faulty no longer able to switch on.

Frankly, I do not have much use for them. A few weeks ago on a night fishing trip, I make use of the white lithium unit (full on) to attempt to read the newspaper. But found it difficult to read because of the lack of spill.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Woah. Thread revival.

Anyway, glo-toobs are cool, blah blah... :)

I recently started using my amber one as a toy for the dogs. Outdoors, I throw it as far as possible into a field, and my Border Collie brings it back. :)

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 FX units in red & blue. Recently just got 2 lithium units in red & white. Just found out my FX blue is faulty no longer able to switch on.

Frankly, I do not have much use for them. A few weeks ago on a night fishing trip, I make use of the white lithium unit (full on) to attempt to read the newspaper. But found it difficult to read because of the lack of spill.

True, the white one I bought is not that great for reading - my Inova T2MP pointed at the ceiling provides a ton more room light.

I think these things work better as beacons and markers, and as a tent light. Still, they're kinda cool and being waterproof with the twist cap, can be used just about anywhere.

knightrider

Enlightened
I think they are good for beacons. But can't seem to use them for much else personally.

The UI is terrible! Wish I would have kept my old single mode white that took the old smaller batteries. Much better design. Thought about selling my white cr123 for a while but it just won't be worth it.

I really just need an electric chemlite that does a soft diffused green glow or something... :thinking:

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I think they are good for beacons. But can't seem to use them for much else personally.

The UI is terrible! Wish I would have kept my old single mode white that took the old smaller batteries. Much better design. Thought about selling my white cr123 for a while but it just won't be worth it.

I really just need an electric chemlite that does a soft diffused green glow or something... :thinking:

You could place a green one inside a green plastic tube or something and get very diffused light.

I agree that if they had lightly diffused the outside of the device that it would work a little better, but it just doesn't beat a standard flashlight where you need enough light to do more than just see around.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm sure the outside of one could be lightly sanded with fine grit sandpaper to make a nice diffused light source...

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the outside of one could be lightly sanded with fine grit sandpaper to make a nice diffused light source...

I wrap scotch tape around it to diffuse the light - its not pretty but works well.

Also, Jumpmaster mentioned a faulty twist cap - I had the exact same problem as you describe only with the twist cap. I emailed glo-toob via the two addresses on their website and received a prompt email with an address to send the faulty cap to - they mailed a new one right to me. Very good customer service IMHO.

I have two FXs on my dogs - they work very well :D

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Hmm... never thought of that. I might try it. :thumbsup:

I use my white glo-toob primarily for camping... dinner table light, in-tent light. I use my red glo-toob as a rear blinking light when cycling at night. Unfortunately, my blue glo-toob doesn't get too much use at the moment... :thinking:

oronocova

Enlightened
I use my amber original one on my hunting bag. The idea is to let it hang off in the strobe mode when walking in/out of public hunting lands.... safety safety safety.