Flash Light Recommendation

TheTruckingGuru

Newly Enlightened
Long time member but recently changed name and came back after a long absence. First post. To start I currently EDC a Rayovac 3 Watt 2 AA powered LED. It's heavy machined aluminum and turns on by twisting the bottom tight. Or leave it loose and push and hold the bottom rubber button. It has a clip and lanyard.

Having carried it for a while I began to make judgments on it's pros and cons and want to share this to help with a recommendation

Cons
It's heavy. Maybe I don't need solid aluminum. Or maybe it has to do with the shape. It's bulky. It's not a perfect cylinder shape. It has a thicker head that is cut so as to prevent it from rolling downhill if I drop it. The checkered grip is fine but I may prefer a smoother shape all the way around to cut on bulk.

It cannot stand alone on it's tail. Truly I don't know how a feature that is but not long ago while camping I had to use the bathroom at night and it was unlit. So sitting on the John I had to fasten the lanyard to the window latch to keep the small room lit. It would have been nice to stand the light on it's tail but I improvised just fine.

Pros
It has a flat spot so it does not roll. It's relatively small for it's 2 AA size. It's very durable. It has been in pocket 24 hours a day (I am never without a flashlight, ever) And has seen action several times a day in nearly 40 states. In hot humid nights and cold sub zero chain up's at 10,000ft elevation.

So I would like to stay with a 2 AA powered single LED Flashlight and would like to see single AA powered recommendations as well. Being small and light is important. As is durability, adjustability, and of course a lanyard and clip. Not really concerned on cost as I don't expect even the best flashlights in this size to be very expensive. I just want the best for my money. Fenix, Surefire, whatever. So what do you guys recommend? And is one AA powered to small? Also please post links along with the recommendation and list where I might buy this flashlight/flashlights.

Really leaning toward 1AA size as I feel it will suit my needs better. I may just get both sizes. Not looking for a bargain. Just looking for the best.
Thankshttp://www.bladeforums.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=6050546

TheTruckingGuru

Newly Enlightened
There are many lights that can fit your needs. Surefire doesn't make AA powered lights.

What output?
What runtime?
Multiple modes?

I'd suggest checking the Fenix AA series, if you like the L1T or L2T, make sure it says V2.0 or you might get the dimmer and older Luxeon III version. Fenix Store is a good place to buy from. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store and 4Sevens is "CPF8".

Also look at the Nitecores(Defender Infinity, D10, and D20 are AA powered), Olight T15 and T25, Jetbeam Jet-I and Jet-I V2.0, Kingpower, Lumapower...

Welcome Back!

Thanks for the welcome. I will certainly order from www.4sevens.com I guess they are a sister site to Fenix Store. I did like the search feature at Fenix store to compare all flashlights that are AA size; 4 Sevens should have the same feauture I will sudgest they add it when I call in my order tomorrow. Or at least call them I find it anoying I can't compare AA size lights on their site. The Fenix you recommended looks great; but I think I will spend more and get a D10 or similar NiteCore for the adjustabilty feautures it has. Thanks again for the coupon codes I will make sure to use them. So this is what it's narrowed down to when I order tomorrow. https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=207
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=206
To go with whatever flashlight I buy
Or just get a combo https://www.4sevens.com/index.php?action=buy_now&products_id=536&cPath=93_94
Of course it comes with he Plane Jane D10 which may be the best for me
Or
https://www.4sevens.com/images/1_small.jpg
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=533
Not sure what the difference is between these. Golden Dragon Plus?:confused:
Or
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=504
For $5 more it does look cool.

So what do you guys think? Thanks for the responses guys.

Silversurfer

Enlightened
There are many lights that can fit your needs. Surefire doesn't make AA powered lights.

What output?
What runtime?
Multiple modes?

I'd suggest checking the Fenix AA series, if you like the L1T or L2T, make sure it says V2.0 or you might get the dimmer and older Luxeon III version. Fenix Store is a good place to buy from. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store and 4Sevens is "CPF8".

Also look at the Nitecores(Defender Infinity, D10, and D20 are AA powered), Olight T15 and T25, Jetbeam Jet-I and Jet-I V2.0, Kingpower, Lumapower...

Welcome Back!

The EagleTac P10A2 is another 2xAA light you might want to consider. It has a beam similar to the Olight T25-T and a simpler user interface. The low on my P10A2 is slightly greater than the medium level on my T25-T. More suitable for outdoor use than for indoors.

TheTruckingGuru

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply's but I think something is wrong with this thread. Must be from the server switch. The new responses are being posted in the middle somewhere.

TheTruckingGuru

Newly Enlightened
Im hoping when I call tomorrow then can answer some of my questions. It looks like the Nitecore Defender series is just a beefier model of the D10. Could be great and it does look cool. But weight and size is an issue. And I have no clue what Golden Dragon plus means. Or whether or not I want a smooth or checkered reflector if thats an option.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D10 came after the Defender Infinity and have a different way of working.

The D10 uses a piston switch while the Defender uses a normal forward clickie. The D10 essentially only has one mode from what I can tell. The mode can be constantly varied but if you had the light at 50% and switched to another output and want 50% again, you'll have to cycle it back to 50%.

The Defender Infinity has a high mode at 100% output(head tightened), a lower use settable mode, and a strobe mode.

Both have their pros and cons.

A good in between seems like on of the Jetbeams of the Liteflux LF5X(AA lights). You can set the modes to whatever you would like.

Golden Dragon plus is another current gen LED. But from what i see, it might be better to stick with the Cree XR-E Q5.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's 1 x AA that you are interested in, check out the Jetbeam Jet I Mk II IBS here http://www.light-reviews.com/jetbeam_jet-1_mk_ibs/ it's programmable with the IBS function so you can program it in accordance with your needs, e.g. if you need to read a map etc, then 1st mode in low, then if you need to check under the hood and need a little more light, 2nd mode at 50% and for a quick blast, 3rd mode at max.

It can run on AAs or 14500 cells for added brightness. Seeing as you are in a truck, there wouldn't be an issue getting a Ultrafire Wf-139 charger here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251 get a 12v DC cable to charge cells while you are on the road and you're all set.

I would ask you to consider the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST or the Military versions, slightly larger, running on 18650 cells with the same programmable functions, i find that the Jet III is easier to hold especially if you are wearing gloves in cold weather (no problem for me as i'm in singapore, no winter).

For 2 x AAs, perhaps the Olights (these lights are all reviewed at that site above) or Eagletac might suit your purposes too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

What output?
What runtime?
Multiple modes?

Welcome Back!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I carry a Fenix P2D Q5 (which can be configured as an L1D with a body change).

It gets a fair amount brighter as a P2 is the main reason I carry it as such.

It's a pretty small light, but I have no problems using it. With the head a bit loose it comes on low, bump the switch for med, and bump again for high. With head tight it comes on in turbo.

I use the Fenix open top holster which makes it a snap to get the light out but it has never fallen out!

It lasts a pretty long time on a 123. I know it's been at least a month since I've changed the battery.

If you don't need the brighter Turbo that a 123 provides, get an L1D Q5 and live happily ever after!

If you want AA batteries AND a brighter turbo get a 2AA body form 4 sevens!

It may well be that that these Nitecores and other lights these guys recommend are better in some way. But the Fenix does everything I need of it just swell!