Help an NYPD officer please

schremp44

Newly Enlightened
Hello I'm a NYC Police Officer on foot post for now. It is imperitive that I have a great flashlight as the area i work in is extremely dark and I am constantly monitoring little dark alleys and such where people go to do stupid things. I am looking for a REMARKABLEY bright flashlight. Right now I am using a flashlight with an R2 drop in and even that is not doing the trick. I need something that will light up practically an entire city block if that is possible. In terms of size I'm not looking to go much larger than a 2 C Mag Light. It MUST be rechargeable one way or another. I am looking for at least 45 minutes of run time out of the batteries also. I was looking at the WickedLaser Torch and while that is probably (even more than) the brightness I'm looking for, the 15 minutes of battery just doesnt cut it. Also that light as well as the Borrealis seem to have very complicated Battery charging systems. Anyone have any ideas to help me out! PLEASE? THANK YOU!

Oh most importantly. I'm willing to spend around 150 but willing to go as high as 300 if its TRULY worth it.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes Rattlesnake 700 Lumens - 45 min runtime - Charger Included
Wolf Eyes Boxer 1800 lumens - 1 hr runtime - Charger Included
SureFire M6 250/500 lumens - 1 hr/20 min runtime
SureFire UB2 (when its released) ~400 lumens - 1 hr runtime

Last edited:

schremp44

Newly Enlightened
I am looking probably for a good balance of both. I want an entire street to light up while still focusing in on a given object to the point where I can see details on an object a city block away as though that object were in daylight

dougie

Enlightened
Some of the above may do at a pinch but nothing (IMHO) meets all of your requirements. The closet in performance would be a HID but they are way too expensive and not exactly belt carry! In addition they are potentially less liable to survive the rigors of daily duty.

I personally think a Mag Borealis would be the closet thing to what you have specified. The link below will allow you to see Juan's products and if you do some searching you'll see it meets most of your criteria?

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any size restrictions on the light??

Right now what i'm getting from you is:

1. BRIGHT!
2. Rechargeable
3. minimum 45 minutes
4. Throws with good flood (1 city block)

Because if you're on foot patrol, i dont see you lugging a HID around and having to run down perps.

roymail

Enlightened
Hello officer,

I have a lot of faith in Malkoff products since they are handmade and have the best customer support in the business. I recommend the Malkoff Triple for a 3-4C or 3-4D cell light.

Click here and read all about it. Hope this helps.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe a Seoul P7 Mag mod would work.

Or a ROP mod. Pelican Big D bulbs, 2 C Li-ion batteries(3.7v each), a metal reflector, and a glass window.

:welcome:

Carpenter

Enlightened
If you are risking your life, I usually recommend something stock and not modded as even the best modded light is still more prone to fail than one with all stock parts IMO.

I would look into an SureFire X10.

While my suggestion is expensive (and a little bulky), it should be able to do the job you want from it. It should be able to give you 3 hours of 60 lumens and if you hear a "bump", 20 minutes of blinding 500+ lumens. You can also carry a spare battery if you have room on your duty belt. It's also heavy enough to use a short baton if you need it. (9.5". 20 oz)

You might be able to find one if you post in the marketplace. if you get that (or anything else) and it isn't the perfect light for what you want, post it in the marketplace. You will get back most if not all of your money and be able to use that to try again.

Be safe.

60ndown

Banned
Hello officer,

I have a lot of faith in Malkoff products since they are handmade and have the best customer support in the business. I recommend the Malkoff Triple for a 3-4C or 3-4D cell light.

Click here and read all about it. Hope this helps.

x2,

with a standard 2 or 3 cell maglight you can get 250 lumens and 4 hour run time for $50.

ive heard nothing but good about them

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=4

or

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=27

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Step up from the mag charger and give a Mag74 (or brighter) a shot.

A bi-pin socket, bi-pin bulb, LuxLuthor's cell pack, 1 borofloat lens, and 1 Al reflector of whatever finish. Not going to break the budget and you are certainly used to the format.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry and use a Boxer 24 Watt HID on duty. Shorter than a Mag, but the brightest light you can buy in that size, that I know of. I hang a loop of flex cuff from a front belt keeper as a holder, or sometimes wear the big pouch that comes with it. It will fit in a rear pocket, but has fallen out in a foot pursuit, so that is a less desirable option.

The only downside is the warm up time. It won't hit full brightness for about 15 seconds. You'll need another light to fill in that time gap when you need light immediately.

The other downside, I guess, is that it cost $366 and there probably aren't many LEOs who will drop that kind of coin for a flashlight. For guns, yeah, they'll buy a bunch of those, but flashlights?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also in favor of recommending a triple Malkoff in a Mag host. The HID may be one of the best brightest/runtime ratio lights, and the durability of the lamp is a plus since there's no filament, but like so many posts above have stated the warm-up time isn't ideal. Plus, with many HID's you've got to be careful about 'restrike' intervals. +1 on the WolfEyes too. The incan M6 is a great performer in a relatively small package, and here you'll find some great rechargeable options. I'm just not a fan of recommending an incan for a duty light personally.