New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I were at Home Depot over the weekend and I spotted a few new Husky lights. One store had a few new small lights, but all of them used three AAA's and I had no interest in them. One of the stores had this 2 D light that was labelled a 4 watt Cree LED and 200 lumens. It was only $24.99 so I snagged it! This thing is bright! It is a thrower but has a decent usable spill. It is almost as bright as the 220 lumen rechargeable Dorcy I got at Sears a while back, so the 200 lumen claim may not be too exaggerated. It seems well made and looks like someting that would blast off into space!!:huh::). Here are a few photos:

gilly

Enlightened
Definitely looks like a spacecraft! Too bad they have the metallic/gold? bezel/reflector area - kind of ruins the light's appearance in my opinion. Nice grab, though!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
It does look kinda hodge podge, the bezel doesn't seem to look like the original part of the flashlight. A definitely good buy for $24.99, if it has the non exaggerated 200 lumens.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel and reflector are silver. I am not sure why my photos give it a gold tint!:thinking:

Mike

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
It kind of reminds me of the Rapidfire Spear in some ways.

+1 to that.

At first I thought he had photo-shopped a picture of a Spear and was pulling our leg! ;)

I'd love to see some more testing on this to compare outputs and throws against known lights (TK11?!?)

Side note: Maglite had better step it up, they're really getting outclassed at the B&M stores, especially if throwers start to appear. Throw seems to have been the last bastion of Mag performance for B&M stuff!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try to get some beamshots this eve if there is enough interest!

Mike

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
I just got this light last week and was going to post a review, but you beat me too it. I'm a noob in the CPF world. I've always had a soft spot for flashlights but I just recently got bit by the "bug". My collection has always been at the local sporting goods store / walmart / home depot level. My Dad did get me the Jetbeam Mk II a while back and I have just ordered a few new lights from DX to get into the higher powered world. Ok so to the review...

I found a great light at Home Depot the other night. Still playing with it to see how it performs, but man is this thing a beast. It really lights up anything within about 50-60 yards. (The beam hotspot is only 8 1/2" wide at 10 ft, so this thing throws really nicely.)

Husky 4 Watt LED (2-D cell batteries)
only $24.00

The light says it is 200lumen (I would guess that is about right, but I don't have anything of the same caliber to compare it too). I compared it to a few other lights I do have (Maglite 2-Dcell with Mag LED, JetBeam MkII AA and a Dorcy 3-"D"cell 3 watt LED). The Dorcy was the only light that came anywhere near this one. It is compared in the photos below. The Maglite didn't register in the picture, the JetBeam was just barely visible.

The light is almost too bright for indoor use. You would truly blind an intruder if he was inside your home and you put it directly into his face (even from 20-30 ft).

Haven't had a good chance to torture test it fully, but I did drop it onto the basement floor (vinyl tile on cement) from shoulder hieght while it was running (6 times). No problems. Also used the light as a hammer and was pounding on some 2x4's and it held up (pounding the bottom cap). I can't get the head off, put it in in the vise and still can't get it loose. Even cranked on it with a large pliers. Seems that the head has glue on the screws.

Runtime:
I ran it on the factory batteries (Eveready Super Heavy Duty D Cell) while I was working. Kept monitoring it every few minutes. The First Hour it was really super bright. Still maintained much better brightness than the 3 Cell Dorcy after 2 1/2 hours. At 3 hours it was a bit less than the Dorcy 3D. Still ran brighter than the JetBeam light until between hour 5 and 6. It was still brighter than the Maglite after running for 7 hours. (And these were crappy batteries.) I'm not sure how many more hours of usable light it would have, but it was still pretty decent after 7 hours. Here is the approxomate breakdown:

Hour 0 - 3 very bright (brighter/comparable to the Dorcy 3D)
Hours 3 - 5 1/2 medium brightness (Better than the JetBeam Mk II)
Hours 5 1/2 + better than my small flashlights and standard D flashlights

Here are my lights that I compared. (All lights are stock, except for the Maglite. It has the Maglite add-on LED and a painted bottom so the kids don't lose it.)
2938094527_e422188a66_o.jpg

Beam Shots at night while 40ft back from my shed. I had to adjust the camera down to prevent the Husky from washing out the photo. You can see a lot more of the area around each beam, but this gives a relative brightness.
2938094505_024ac24024_b_d.jpg

Here is a test from 80 ft. This is only the Dorcy 3D and the Husky. The other lights were not bright enough. First the standard photo, then I zoomed in to get more of a close up (still 80 ft away).

2938094511_a0a67db35c_b_d.jpg

The light in my pics don't do any of the lights justice. There was much greater spill on the sides from all the lights. This was just a relative brightness of the light compared to others. The mag lite was not really that dark, it just happened that if I made it look any brighter, the camera was washing out the Husky to a large bright dot (as is there it is already washed out enough). You do get a representation of the brightness compared to the other lights.

Another note: After dropping the light 6 times onto the basement floor, it lost the crisp beam circle. The beam turned a bit ovalish. I think that this is the LED that is no longer centered, but I'm still just learning.

Here is another shot to give you an idea of the size.

2938094531_1b79661314_b.jpg

All this for only $24. I can't complain. I now have a new light under my pillow at night. It was great. Some neighbor kids were making too much noise the other night and I lit them up from behind the garage. Man, did they scatter. I could hear them behind their parents house... "dude, what was that??". I guess they will not be hiding there smoking anymore.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It looks stylish is a chinese flashlight sorta way. The silver head is interesting and reminds me of the silver reflector of the Spear.

It looks like it throws very well and at that price I might just have to bring one home and throw a couple of AW C cells in there to see what it does. Probably have to remove the spring. I'd be willing to bet that it's direct drive so more than double the voltage could be interesting. Either that or :poof: :)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!!:thumbsup:. I was actually just going to try my hand at some beamshots this eve. I was going to compare it to the 2C Task Force light Lowe's sells for $30.00 that has become "famous" on this forum (this light beats it hands down by the way!). I am much better at daylight photography, but I will see what I can do!

Mike

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime:
I ran it on the factory batteries (Eveready Super Heavy Duty D Cell) while I was working.

Interesting! I am using alkalines so they should get about twice the runtime of the heavy duty batteries. Now I am wondering how this baby would do an a set of standard D NIMH's!!:D Too bad there is no such thing as lithium D cells!!

Mike

Wyeast

Enlightened
I've been curious about this light since I first saw it a few days ago. Thanks for the postings! If the build quality is solid, we may have a new king of the budget/beater throwers. I'd love to see a comparison with a Task Force 2C. (if someone has both. If not, I might have to bite the bullet) :twothumbs

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
That is one ugly light, but i have to have one.:D Something to look for next time i am at the depot. Great review by the way :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.