attn Miners & Cavers

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
A show on ntgeo (national geographic) channel last night 10/12 called Chrystal caverns. Sooo cool. These guys all had headlights and were working in what I would think would be the most extreme enviroment possable. Super high heat and humidity. Show was filled with beam shots and views of thier headlights.

My guess is if you could figure out what kind of light thier using it has to be tbe best of the best. Nasa and some other scientific groups were doing the studies so I would imagine you would need deep pockets to pick up any of the gear they were wearing.

For a caver its a must see show anyway. I am a amature spelunker and this is by far the most spectacular thing I have ever seen. If I get a chance I will go to there website and see if they have links to the gear or a date when it will be on again.

hangn

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the videos and picture I know, for example from the La venta team they use standard equipment, as you can see on their video Why should tehy use something special? They only spend very short time their und humidity is 100% in most caves. Only the temperature is somewhat higher, but this may only influence the some components life.

Last edited:

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
In the videos and picture I know, for example from the La venta team they use standard equipment, as you can see on their video Why should tehy use something special? They only spend very short time their und humidity is 100% in most caves. Only the temperature is somewhat higher, but this may only influence the some components life.

They said temps reach 115 f in what could be described as a steam room there skin has to be covered to prevent burns they are basically wearing space suits with coolant systems and resperators because the high temp air would burn thier lungs. this is not like any cave I have ever been in They were basically in a underwater chamber which had been pumped dry for exploration. While there time is limited 20 min i think due to the heat. I just thought that due to extreme conditions and all of the gear they had on and it was a NASA team that they would have had the best gear.

hangn

Mark620

Enlightened
I saw one orange/black Apex, a couple of Petzl Duo's:
I thought I saw a sten but I guess not since I did not see it again.
One light I did not recognize...

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to figure it out it almost looked like the each had different type of lights. Did you see the size of those friggen crystals? I think that was where superman was born.

the show is on again 10/14 @10 pm ntgeo
hangn

Last edited:

mulder89

Newly Enlightened
Try working in the returns of an underground mine. Temps get that high you can hardly breathe and the sweat stops after a while as the air sucks it up as it hits the surface of your skin. Not nice at all.
mulder89

electrothump

Enlightened
Ha! My girlfriend started laughing at me for getting close to the tube, so as to try and see what kind they were wearing. There was also a nice image the crystals in the megapixel part of a Popular Science a few months ago. Can you imagine stumbling upon something like that for the first time, and not having a camera with you? You'd have a hard time convincing people of the size of those things.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
They said temps reach 115 f in what could be described as a steam room there skin has to be covered to prevent burns
There was already a fatality a few years ago when a photographer stayed in longer and nobody else did look.

...it was a NASA team that they would have had the best gear.
.-)
I've worked with people having camera equipment worth close to 100,000 bucks but only very cheap lights...

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I really dont have much tech insite to contribute to this fourm. Its good to think I was able give even just a little back.

hangn