Introduction and a question or two

bigbuddhayo

Newly Enlightened
Ok, my wife thinks I'm crazy for liking flashlights. The way she sees it:, "why do you need more than one". I have a basic collection of off the shelf goodies (Wally World/Target), but no "real" lights yet, Although I have looked a lot at the fenix line. Probably @ 120 lumens is the most output of any of my lights. On to the questions now. I've got a rather wealthy brother in law, who also has a fascination with flashlights, that I need to buy a Christmas gift for. While he has about the same lights as me, he really enjoys his new 4D mag led. It has some throw, but just isnt that bright, and is way too big to carry around! Ive been looking around, and would like to find something in the 200-500 lumen range for him. Something with decent throw and for potrability, between 4-6 inches in length, and CR123 or 18650 for power(preferably 18650). He likes to have a decent light with him while he rides around on his cruiser at the beach, and one small enough that he can hold to navigate with if necisary. I'd also like to find something with multi power levels, and at least hi/lo. I've been looking at the PD30 and TK10 from Fenix, but I would live to have some suggestions on what to get. Oh yeah, I'm not rich, so I'm looking $75 and under!

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

bigbuddhayo

Newly Enlightened
OK, I've narrowed the selection to 3 lights, what would your choice be?

Jetbeam JetII-IBS or PRO
EagleTac T10C2
Fenix PD30

Im really hung up on the jetbeam and eagletac, but of course, these lights arent for me!

Thanks!

-Sean

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your brother likes gadgets and stuff he'll likely get a kick out of all the different modes available from a Jet III Pro IBS.

If he's more of an old, cranky keep it simple type of person get an Eagletac. By the way Eagletacs have an 18650 model, the T10L.

If you want to play it safe get the Fenix. The only problem is the Fenix uses CR123 instead of 18650. (Additionally if the slimmer profile of the Fenix appeals then Jetbeam also makes the Jet III ST)

I'd say the answer to which light to buy depends upon your brother's tastes.

bigbuddhayo

Newly Enlightened
I think I have decided on the JetBeam, primarily because he is a gadget guy, I can get surefire 123's locally for a buck a pop, and the light should be easily carried in hand on a bike. Thanks for all your responses!

-Sean