First Light Tomahawk Question (I know there are a couple users here)

cslinger

Enlightened
With the multi color mil spec version MC, I believe, do you have multiple outputs for the main white beam or is it just the colored LEDs?

Also am I to assume the momentary switch automatically fires up the brightest level?

Thanks
Chris

LawLight

Enlightened
Hello:

Both the white "beam" and the leds have multiple levels. A low, medium and a very nice high.

Yes, the momentary does immediately take the light to the highest level. In addition, when you change batteries, the light defaults everything to high.

LawLight

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Perfect this sounds like exactly what I need. I just took the plunge on the MC RED/Blue version. Looks like the perfect handgun light as well as providing all the functionality of the Kroma at almost half the cost.

From what I have read build quality is excellent, do you feel that it is a pretty solid little light?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

JJV

Newly Enlightened
I have the GP version, so it's not a completely accurate comparison, but I would agree with your assesment-it's built really well. If you're a stickler for perfectly matching ano, then you may be disappointed-the bezel on mine looks like someone got careless with a spray gun. But that doesn't really bother me.

I really like that light. It's definitely a learning curve-I had to keep playing with it to get used to the finger loop and all that. About my only complaint is that I wish it had soemthing other than a MOLLE clip-it's hard to hook onto regular clothes. But I guess that is the point; that way it won't fall off as easily.

cslinger

Enlightened
Not picky in terms of pretty fit and finish just want it to be built hell for stout. Reading the manual the operation does not seem too difficult. I am use to HDS and Novatacs which do require a bit of a learning curve so I don't imagine this one will be too tough to learn. I will however have to play with the finger loop attachment as that is the primary reason I want this light to use with firearms without a dedicated light attached yet still retain some dexterity without the use of a lanyard.

Chris

LawLight

Enlightened
Yes, I have the LE version, which has the red/blue emitters. There is indeed a learning curve. My recommendation is that you practice with the light until it becomes second nature. It is a good duty light, and the clip allows you to position the light on a Kevlar jacket during ops, or on a belt if that serves your task better.

It is a very sturdy little light. Mine does not have any defects in the anodizing. It looks very nicely done.

I think you will find it to be a great friend when you need it. You made a good choice.

LawLight

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll be happy with it, as well. It's very well built, a lot more comfortable to carry and use than I expected, a lot brighter than the Kroma (even the MC with the smaller primary reflector significantly out-throws the Kroma), and it you're comfortable with the HDS/NovaTac UI, I doubt you'll have any problem with the Tomahawk.

My only gripe - and it's minor - is with selecting one or both colored LEDs. If the UI provides a means for easy selection of a particular color without looking down the bezel, I haven't found it. I can't image having to select one of the secondary colors quickly under duress, but that might pose a problem.

LawLight

Enlightened
I think you'll be happy with it, as well. It's very well built, a lot more comfortable to carry and use than I expected, a lot brighter than the Kroma (even the MC with the smaller primary reflector significantly out-throws the Kroma), and it you're comfortable with the HDS/NovaTac UI, I doubt you'll have any problem with the Tomahawk.

My only gripe - and it's minor - is with selecting one or both colored LEDs. If the UI provides a means for easy selection of a particular color without looking down the bezel, I haven't found it. I can't image having to select one of the secondary colors quickly under duress, but that might pose a problem.

I agree.

SlightlyDim

Newly Enlightened
My Red/Green LE has survived a few knocks against metalwork quite well, seems to be pretty solid construction, currently running it on a pair of 18650's which means I lose the MOLLE clip, but gain runtime over RCR's.
It would be nice if the LED colour could be changed while it's on, but that's a minor gripe, very happy with the output.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Ordered!

I filled out the Testing and Evaluation form, faxd it and a copy of my military ID back to FLUSA and got my 15% good guys discount.:party:

T-Hawk red and blue MC $170 shipped to my door is about $15 to $20 cheaper than everywhere else!

I have high expectations for this light :popcorn:

SlightlyDim

Newly Enlightened
Tube came from Lighthound - Leefbody C tail - E head / 2x18650's
The threads on the Tomahawk appear to be Surefire E-series compatible.

Only took about 5 hours to modify - had to use a needle file to take down the end diameter to something that would fit, also needed to come up with a 20mm spacer (used a 20mmx5mm diameter 1A fuse and wrapped it with insulation tape to fit snugly in the end of the Leefbody)

I've got another tube incoming to make a more neat attempt - currently not water-tight, I need to come up with space for an o-ring and I don't want to foul up my 'new' light.

Using a Surefire Z49 clicky tailcap on the bottom - means if I'm leaving it for a while I can switch it off and not worry about the leakage current (had to tease out the spring a little bit).

Also using a Surefire lanyard.

Another option might be to use a couple of 1x CR123 E head extenders and use a pair of 17670's - not sure if the cap spring is long enough.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Tube came from Lighthound - Leefbody C tail - E head / 2x18650's
The threads on the Tomahawk appear to be Surefire E-series compatible.

Only took about 5 hours to modify - had to use a needle file to take down the end diameter to something that would fit, also needed to come up with a 20mm spacer (used a 20mmx5mm diameter 1A fuse and wrapped it with insulation tape to fit snugly in the end of the Leefbody)

I've got another tube incoming to make a more neat attempt - currently not water-tight, I need to come up with space for an o-ring and I don't want to foul up my 'new' light.

Using a Surefire Z49 clicky tailcap on the bottom - means if I'm leaving it for a while I can switch it off and not worry about the leakage current (had to tease out the spring a little bit).

Also using a Surefire lanyard.

Another option might be to use a couple of 1x CR123 E head extenders and use a pair of 17670's - not sure if the cap spring is long enough.

I was thinking about the 2x18650 too. That should get good runtim. Can you post pictures about your mod? I wanted to do the same thing but had no idea how. Maybe a more detailer description too.
Any help would b much appreciated. Thanks
The c tail and E head???