DBS vs M20

Esabacz

Newly Enlightened
I know this yet another, should I get this light or that light thread, so I applogize in advance.

I am in the market for a thrower led flashlight for back woods camping.
Background Information: My family and I do ALOT of back woods camping for the better part of the year. We cover anywhere from 8-15 miles in a weekend and our sole sources of light are: Our Head lamps for camp work, camp fire (if we can get one going) and currently a ranovak sportmans extreme series flash light (85 lumnes) as my thrower..which works 'okay.'
I need a thrower to spot trail heads and what ever the hell my dogs happen to be barking at (other hikers / deer / bear whatever) and the ranovak just doesn't get the job done.

I have pretty much narrowed down my choice to either the M20 or DBS.
I have heard good things about both. However the smaller form factor of the M20, in my book, gives is a slight advantage (and the fact that it has the R2 emitter). However, I know the DBS is the "King Thrower" on the street, but I have heard from friends that own olights (not the m20), fenix & a DBS that they would question the reliability of the DBS in the backwoods. Stating, that in their expirence it was very "finicky" and if all of the tubes weren't synched down just right it wouldn't work.

I should also note that I would only use the thrower for about 5-15 mins per night (Depending how many times I got lost, dogs barked, or other scary sounds and creatures that go bump in the night).

Axion

Enlightened
I don't have the M20 or the DBS, but I do have a TK11 which is very similar to the M20 and I have a DBS on order. IMO the M20 is your best bet, even better then the TK11 because it has the addition of a nice low mode which will be usefull for a lot and will really extend battery life. The TK11/M20 is small enough to carry on a belt holster and hardly notice, but when you light it up on turbo it light up everything for a good ways. Sure the DBS might throw a little farther, but in the forrest with my TK11 the treeline was the limiting factor to how far I could see. Also with the DBS you are giving up a good deal of spill which I find very usefull when you are out hiking around. Lastly, I trust my Fenix light over most others when it comes to waterproofing, and I think the M20 is similar in that area.

That said, I can't wait to take my DBS out into the woods as a "base camp" light:twothumbs

Ctrain

Enlightened
Honestly i have owned both and you cant go wrong with the DBS... in the hand there isn't really that much size difference. The DBS actually feels more confortable... And throws well farther than the M20 (the M20 does also have an impressive throw though)
As for reliability... I can't believe anyone would question the DBS? Its a solid well built unit!

The answer is simple... If you want throw = DBS

Plus you can upgrade down the track... Out of all my lights the DBS is one I will almost never sell!

just my 2 cents ($1.50 Australian)

Axion

Enlightened
I never meant to question Dereelights reliability, their reputation for quality is part of what convinced me to order one. I just know that all my Fenix's can be dunked in the pool and not leak. I wouldn't even try that with either my EX10 or my Extreme. That said, after I get my DBS and play with it some I may come to trust it's waterproofing as much as I trust my Fenix's.

Ctrain

Enlightened
I never meant to question Dereelights reliability, their reputation for quality is part of what convinced me to order one. I just know that all my Fenix's can be dunked in the pool and not leak. I wouldn't even try that with either my EX10 or my Extreme. That said, after I get my DBS and play with it some I may come to trust it's waterproofing as much as I trust my Fenix's.

You'll love it!

Esabacz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great input. I am going to be making my decision in the next day or so and will let everyone know which one I purchased.

Again, thanks for the help an advice.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS is the clear king of throw, a class which the M20 isn't really even a part of, and its quality is impeccable.

However, I too wanted a smaller package, and the best I found is the Tiablo MA6. Throw is, by light-reviews.com's scale, around half of the DBS's, three quarters of the DBS's competitors, and (I'm guessing, not having seen lux ratings for the M20) 1.5 times that of the M20. And the package is much smaller than any of those lights.

I have owned the MA6 for around half a year. Fit and finish is excellent. The higher grade of aluminum cuts off a bit of weight. I think I got a faulty forward clicky switch, as it broke from sitting on a shelf, but the free replacement I received from Tiablo a few days ago is great. The multimode switch wore out after the same period of time, but again I received a replacement. I wouldn't be too worried about switch failures though, as you will experience them with almost every light.