How much lumen should a good LED have?

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED that is bright enough to search for things in the dark at a distance of around 7-10 yards. How much lumen do I want, is 3 lumen enough?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 lumens is NOT enough to do 20-30 feet... Even in pitch-black darkness, 3 lumens is not enough of a throw (especially from just nichias) to illuminate something in that distance... You'll want more than 12-15 lumens to get that job done effectively...

I don't know off the top of my head how many lumens an Opalec NewBeam has, but with new alkalines, it can barely illuminate anything 20 feet from one end of my apartment to the other in pitch black. Anything beyond that and it's probably no better than moon/starlight...

dougmccoy

Enlightened
FalconX

Dont know why you picked on the Opalec Newbeam as an example for a low lumen light?

For what it's worth I believe the Opalec to be one of the finest Led conversions available. Sure the overall brightness (lumen wise) may be poor at distance but it is still more than adequate for most purposes that it was designed for, ie to give a good flood of light at distances up to 10-15 ft away. I also think that its beam is one of the cleanest ones I've seen from a multi LED AA light!

I dont think many AA LEDs can illuminate clearly at a distance of 21-30ft apart perhaps from the early CMG Reactors?

Perhaps using the example of the Newbeam was unfair to this light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards

Doug

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

The original question asked the application of 3 lumens and if it is adequate for 7-10 yards illumination. I could've said, 1, 2, or 3 Nichias driven at or above spec to 3 lumens or said 2-3x Infinitys taped together, and it would still be the same case. In this example, an Opalec Newbeam's no more than 4 lumens, IIRC, and in the argument of throw, it's not a good light for that application.

Obviously, I'm not arguing that the Opalec Newbeam's a "bad" light. I have one, and I love it. For close-ups, it's a perfect light. But for the application purpose of illuminating something at a distance, it's not intended for that. Thus, you have Luxeon Stars that are currently superior to Nichias in throw purposes and would be better suited for jobs at or beyond 7-10 yards.

An example of a great AA-based LED that can really throw is the Arc-LS... BB/MM series can also do it. But these guys are up there at or beyond 20 lumens. Even a PT Impact-II with a refractor and good throw still pales in comparison to the illumination of a HD LS w/NX05...

Again, I'm not picking on the NewBeam because it's a bad light. But at-around 3 lumens, it's an example of the lack of throw at that particular lumens ratings.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Thanx FalconFx

I appreciate you clarifying your previous post. I have noticed of late that rather too many people seem to bash one product or another, sometimes without apparent good cause? As you pointed out the Opalec is a good product and I appear to have 'bitten' too early!! Sorry if I gave the impression that I was taking issue with your post?

Regards

Doug

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it depends upon how you define "illumination".

my newbeam does illuminate my basement nicely--even at over 20 feet. it is, however, pretty dark down there.

it does not turn the room into daylight, but it does illuminate the area well enough--for me. admittedly, it doesnt throw well...but that is what my Tec-40's and Surge are for!

as an aside, my infinity ultra lights up my basement pretty well at 20 feet. again, it isnt a huge amount of light, but it gets the job done.
--i really need to take some pics and start posting them...

Bob