Do I need an NDI

Ctrain

Enlightened
Ok, by my signature you can see what I have and hopefully I'll have an E1B on the way to replace my E1B i sold because i didn't think i needed but miss too much... and doesn't make sense not owning a surefire...

I love single cell lights! And only use CR123's or Lithium AA's

I just keep thinking about the NDI - I just want to know if you NDI owners still love it or has your D10 replaced it?

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of travelling soon and will prob just take a couple of CR123 Lights but makes sense to carry an AA for versatility...
I just like the idea of the 2 levels... (rather than ramping to find it like my D10) and hiding the strobe feature (rather than flicking thru it like my LD10

So... Should I invest in an NDi or is it nothing my D10 or LD10 wont do?

I've probably over invested in lights lately... so I really need some good reasons to get this one!

Any suggestions?

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
The NDIs look nice, but if you like to "preselect" the mode you want before even turning it on, i'd take a look at the Eagletac lights. I have the P10A (looking to getting the P10C) and i'd say this is almost the perfect light that i've been waiting for. Some dislikes here and here, but those dislikes are manageable.

So to me, you dont need a NDI, unless you like the strobe and like to do a lot of twisting/ ramping to get to your desired output/mode.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Try the new LD10 from Fenix. I have both the NDI and LD10. I prefer the LD10, very bright, well made and easy one hand operated.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Wait a minute, going to test and will edit here.

Edit:
I tried the lamps out even with 2 identical batteries. The LD10 spot appears brighter to me. The spot of the LD10 is smaller at surface around half. The Spill of the NDI is somewhat larger and brighter. All in all might apply to both 130 lumens.

Last edited:

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
For a individual 1.5 V battery it is a very good throw. Unfortunately I compared the LD10 in this regard not yet with the NDI. Now it is unfortunately only noon in Germany.

Zenster

Enlightened
I just keep thinking about the NDI - I just want to know if you NDI owners still love it or has your D10 replaced it?

Totally.
I had the NDI for a while and then bought both the D10 and EX10.

At some point, I realized that the NDI sat in a drawer while I always went for either of the '10's.
The NDI got sold and I don't miss it. In fact, I'm soon going to order another D10 because my wife keeps stealing it from me.

ichoderso

Enlightened
all correct, but the NDI have a soft forward clicki for momentary light, it's a + for me.
and a high brightness with 1,2V NiMh also (I havn't the D10 only the EX10)

greetings, Jens

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the differences in the interface inbetween the NDI and D10?

I still have my NDI and use it often. I have no intention of replacing it, in part because I can't afford to spend the full price of a D10 or other high-end flashlight (the NDI was bought at a significant discount in the famous promotion thread) and in part because it still does it job well.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan to use it with a sidearm... NDI
If you use for utility...D10

I have both. I like the NDI switch better for the momentary soft press.
Just my 2 cents.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Just FYI, the new NDI and the D10 both use the same driver.

I have both, and they are both great. The NDI is more of a tactical light due to the forward clicky and the strike bezel (which is useless in my opinion with a light so small).

In true CPF style, just get both if you can't decide.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say i was one of the loudest NDI supporters when i first got it early this year....if anyone remembers..:whistle:

my observations, the switch on the NDI is much easier to operate then on the Smart PD series, it is also however, more prone to failure, i changed one out already.

You already have the Nitecore Extreme which functions more or less like the NDI, so i dont think you really need one.

reason to get it: you already have two Nitecore lights, why not try to complete the collection? :thumbsup:

and the strike bezel on the NDI may be small, but thier quite sharp....:tinfoil:
i have an Ex10, so i would probably choose the NDI over the D10

Crenshaw

Last edited:
Can't offer you a comparison between all the lights you mention since I have only ever owned the L2D and NDI.

But I recently lost an NDI which was my EDC and I carefully looked about for what to replace it with. I settled on another NDI and am very pleased I did because I still think this is the coolest, best looking and most useful single AA size light about. Very simple, but at the same time flexible UI. Other lights in this class look 'boring' in comparison - but just my taste of course.

And if you are travelling, which I do a lot of, the fact that the NDI can use AA as well as 14500 is very comforting.

The early issues with this light all seem to have been ironed out and the latest version I got from 4Sevens has much more agressive knurling which is better IMHO.

From the tone of your question - I think you want one of these! :thumbsup:

superflytnt

Enlightened
As was already pointed out, the NDI uses the same emitters (Q5 or GDP), reflector and driver as the D10 so the only reason to get one would be for the different UI (ie, if you like twisting bezels) or the more conventional clicky switch which might have better feel but is much more failure prone. Oh yeah, it also has a "strike" bezel (which for me is a good reason NOT to get one)

Short answer no, you do not need an NDI

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
the strike bezel (which is useless in my opinion with a light so small).
I disagree. As I mentioned in the past, I've tested it by whacking my hand with it, and it hurt a lot more than if I'd done the same with a normal round bezel.
If you find yourself in a fight, the ability to momentarily dazzle an attacker with strobe mode and then jab the sharp end of the NDI in his face (or in his genitals...) with all your strength could save your bacon.

gilly

Enlightened
I've had my NDI for about 6 months. I enjoy it very much. Haven't had any problems with it and the UI is great for me. I have been tempted to get a D10, but it's not as nice looking as the NDI, and to me it doesn't offer an overwhelming advantage over the NDI - so I'm going to hold off and see what the future holds!

superflytnt

Enlightened
I disagree. As I mentioned in the past, I've tested it by whacking my hand with it, and it hurt a lot more than if I'd done the same with a normal round bezel.
If you find yourself in a fight, the ability to momentarily dazzle an attacker with strobe mode and then jab the sharp end of the NDI in his face (or in his genitals...) with all your strength could save your bacon.

As far as that goes, I've always done pretty well with just fists but for a force magnifying impact device I'd recommend carrying one of these:http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/comtech_stinger.htm
They are very effective, very compact, very lightweight and are under $10. I'd rather carry one of these (which I do) in addition to carrying an EDC light that won't chew up my clothes. Not to mention, I just think that "tacticool" impact bezels look silly and I'd be a bit embarassed to use a light that had one in public. YMMV

EDIT: sorry for the bad link, I found a different one.

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
The NDI is my AA edc light, I have settled with it as my only AA light.. as of now. I also use it as my light when I go running at night. Great light IMO.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as that goes, I've always done pretty well with just fists but for a force magnifying impact device I'd recommend carrying one of these: http://www.donrearic.com/stingerchinook.html They are very effective, very compact, very lightweight and are under $10.
The page is dead, but reading from Google's text-only cache it seems something like a kubotan, right?
If that's the case, I can't carry one. Italian laws are very restrictive about this sort of stuff, and it's pretty hard to make people believe you punched someone with a long stick that just happened to be your rather uncomfortable keychain.
On the other hand, it's not at all hard to convince someone that you carry a flashlight for its usefulness at making light (which is, of course, the primary reason why I carry it), and that yours just so happens to have a pointy head as a weird aesthetic improvement, and that when someone attacked you it just seemed sensible to hit them with it.
You could never pull this off with serious assault bezels, but something like the NDI shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Also, my NDI's bezel hasn't yet poked any holes in my pants' pockets, and I always carry it around.